PDA

View Full Version : Kate Nash Foundations/Lemons

Cometcowgirl
08-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone, firstly thanks for taking the time to check out my WIP.

This is my first color, watercolor portrait. The areas I feel I'm really having trouble with are: 1) The shadows on the right side if her mouth, color and saturation.
2) Her eyelashes, I would Love a suggestion on brush to achieve a thinner line. I still need to add the white (in the ref picture she has thick black and white lashes).
3) Lastly but probably something I'd like the most suggestion/instruction on is hair. I've been looking at YouTube videos on portrait work and saw some difference in How o approached it in comparison to theirs. I didn't use masking on this painting at all, perhaps the next step for me would be to do just that. I'd like to achieve a less stringy/amateurish appearance to her hair.

Anyhow, Thanks again for any suggestions and constructive criticism, I know the WIP is pretty close to the end, but it was only after I got to this point that I was able to really break down what I don't like/would like to improve on. I'm still working on the lemons below.

Yorky
08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
A fantastic first portrait. Here's your third picture rotated:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2013/1046-AACowgirl1.jpg

Doug

pjartwc
08-31-2013, 02:58 PM
I've done many portraits and I don't think you need to do anything. It is fantastic as is. I love the hair. If any critique it would be the harsh line under the chin - but I really didn't notice it until I looked closely.

Cometcowgirl
08-31-2013, 09:39 PM
A fantastic first portrait. Here's your third picture rotated:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2013/1046-AACowgirl1.jpg

Doug

Thanks Yorky!

Cometcowgirl
08-31-2013, 09:41 PM
I've done many portraits and I don't think you need to do anything. It is fantastic as is. I love the hair. If any critique it would be the harsh line under the chin - but I really didn't notice it until I looked closely.

Should I.maybe have done better job with the shadow as the chin rounds to the neck, I always have trouble with that on faces.

ona
09-02-2013, 07:17 AM
Put any deep shadows in first not later then paint the skin colours over the top. This softens it and it will look much smoother. Otherwise great portrait:thumbsup:

Ona

Cometcowgirl
09-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Put any deep shadows in first not later then paint the skin colours over the top. This softens it and it will look much smoother. Otherwise great portrait:thumbsup:

Ona

Thanks Ona!