PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Tomatoes in Blue Strainer

Flojingle
08-29-2013, 02:48 PM
This is on my easel at the moment. A WIP. This is phase 3 and I am feeling pretty good about it and will continue development. I think the color is a bit "hot" red/blue/yellow and would like to dial the palette down a bit and get it more naturalistic. Thoughts? Comments and feedback welcome. Thanks for looking:)

water girl
08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
This is coming along quite nicely, John. I like the blue you've added to the tips of the greenery. You could go with some more red oranges in some of those tomatoes. When it comes time to crop, consider cropping on either the right side of the strainer, or the left. Keep going, you are almost there.

sketchZ1ol
08-29-2013, 05:21 PM
hello
like the strength of the red ( a colour that doesn't release easily with several brands )
and on my screen there are hints of red-orange that are just enough .

is your concern a ' sculpted feel ' ?
that would have to do with the light source ; location , distance , and shadow(s) .
- with this scene as painted , it looks like the light is just above the viewer's head , but even with that ,
there is little sense of any shadow or how the toms ' turn away ' from the light , yet ,
the leafs/stalks have variety of highlights and shadow ...

at this stage , the strainer looks totally flat ;
no influence of the light source at all , and , more telling ,
what the openings show us about the background and the light point-source
( i'm assuming that the strainer is bowl-shaped )
> if the strainer is cradled/wrapped by a towel or somesuch ,
it's hard to get to that idea while the other things are unresolved .

too much info ? :D

the toms Do have a good sense of shape , as well as the leafs .
- how to bring their aspects closer together and re-enforce that with the surrounding ... ? :)

Ed

pastel65
08-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Like this a lot. Would the blue reflect on any of the tomatoes? Have fun finishing. Pam

Flojingle
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I wanted to repost an image update on the pastel painting. It's coming into focus and getting stronger. This jpeg doesn't do the color justice. It looks great in person. Much warmer.

I think I'll do some quick black & white value studies next for upcoming landscape/still life pastels I'd like to paint, as I am getting fatigued on this one and don't want to overwork it. Thanks again for looking. J

Mettaphorica
09-02-2013, 03:50 AM
I'm no expert, but I like this and how it's coming along now.
cheers
Donna

pastel65
09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
It looks great. Know the feeling about moving on. I have the shortest attention span of anyone I know and I am always thinking of the next project while working on the current one. :lol: Pam

rugman
09-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Coming along really nice! You may consider adding reddish colored reflected light onto the blue strainer. In other words, the light would bounce off tomatoes onto stainer, and also, blue light bouncing off strainer onto tomatoes.

Flojingle
09-03-2013, 05:06 PM
As of yesterday 9-2-13. I think I have learned what I am going to learn from this pastel painting. I took in some great feedback and brought it into the piece. Thank you all for your insights and expertise. Thanks for looking:)

sketchZ1ol
09-03-2013, 06:30 PM
the cluster of tomatoes is very tactile/tangible !

what they sit in/on is another day . :)

Ed