PDA

View Full Version : WIP Lily pastel pencils, C&C welcome

Christinal
08-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I wasn't sure if pastel pencils go here or elsewhere. If this is the wrong area I apologize and welcome relocation.

So, here's my WIP of a lily. My supply of pencils isn't very large so I couldn't get the petal color correct, but I'm mainly working on shadows and highlights anyway. All C&C welcome.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/partlycloudy/lilyAug2013.jpg (http://s719.photobucket.com/user/partlycloudy/media/lilyAug2013.jpg.html)

Christinal
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Nevermind. Edited correctly but not showing up right. Erg, I hate Windows 8!

C&C still welcome. :) Gotta go to appointment but will try to fix image later today.

water girl
08-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Yes, the pastel forum is the right spot for pastel pencils. You appear to have an art background, so it will just take a little practice before you are comfortable. Check out the other threads here. Our members are at various levels in their journey. There is always something new to learn.

sketchZ1ol
08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
hello
looks good .
a strathmore paper ? :)

limited pencils/sticks is an ongoing issue , even for members who have hundreds ... :rolleyes:

your edges and colours are crisp and distinct .

if you like to work with pencil ( in varied forms ) ,
the pastel sticks can lay on much more pigment with the same time/effort .

small stick sets tend to have a range of colours which are not tinted or toned ,
and white , black , and some grays which can be mingled/layered , even on paper .
> it is a technique with the character of the sticks which are crystals of pigment .
>> a gentle touch is important .

just some tech stuff .

Ed

Christinal
08-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Water Girl, thank you. I'm glad to know I'm in the right place. I've fiddled around with art for a long time, but just started lessons.

Ed, actually it's watercolor paper, some cheapo stuff for practice. It's white, which is why I'm frustrated with not being able to edit the image. Arg. I do have an 80-piece set of Sennelier half sticks, which I thought were plenty when I got them, hahaha. They do intimidate me.

Thank you both for your comments. I'm can't figure out how to edit the photo so I'm giving up on this thread.