PDA

View Full Version : Peaches and scream

Scotslass
08-29-2013, 06:04 AM
I thought I'd have a shot at a still life , from a lovely photo on PMP by Lillian Bell. I've never painted peaches ( I even went and bought some to see if that helped!)...I'm also wrestling with a new phone (ie 'camera' )so was interested to see what the photo looked like on here - I think pretty grainy.

So I would appreciate any tips and crits in general ( I recognise the background and shadows are pretty ropey) but mostly how would YOU paint peaches? I couldn't find anything on here re guidance for 'the fuzzy look', nor on Youtube etc...these look more like the fuzzfree but similar sort of fruit whose name escapes me ( or, horrors, even apples?!) so not really successful. I tried out quite a few attempts on another sheet first for peaches in general, and various techniques for the fuzz including 'blotting', but here ended up just glazing and glazing ......and glazing and glazing....which got the depth of color, and some of the mixes on the paper were quite fun, but it's not really a success, though it was fun doing it all in all. (I was going for a more 'oily' feel rather than watercoloury, but I suspect some of you could do a great 'one pass' peach? How?!)
Any tips you can give would be helpful - even if just 'go back immediately to portraits'....:lol:
Suzanne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2013/1093142-Final-web2.jpg

indraneel
08-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Stunning work! Sorry, you are so far above me, I have no tips to offer.

Yorky
08-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Looks perfect to me Mike, you did get the fuzzy effect.

Doug

DebraB
08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Perfect colors! I wish I could find peaches like these in our markets.

Robola
08-29-2013, 11:29 AM
I think you got the peachy feeling across well. The main difference I believe for peaches, other than color, is the lack of reflection and shine you often see on other fruit. So I see "fuzz" on your peaches because you haven't let the light reflect in any kind of shiny way. Take a look at a nectarine and imagine how you'd paint one of those. I see your green leaves as having just a bit of little shine and they fuzz out the peaches even more.

FLNH
08-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Looks done and great to me...ready for the Gallery. I think the fuzziness comes through at this distance from subject. You could crop a wee bit off the foreground ( or not).

Scotslass
08-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Oh....thank you so much....but you're all being too kind! (And, I suspect, thinking grainy photography=Fuzz!)
Indraneel - you are being far far FAR too modest - you paint very well indeed and I have a LOT to learn and only have a very small comfort zone - eg I couldn't attempt a landscape to save my life!
Rob - nectarines, that's it! they're the ones that I think these look like! I should buy some and see what I get trying to paint them...maybe what I think look like peaches Lol.
I would still love to hear/see how anyone else has, or would, approach peaches .......?
Thanks for taking the time to respond, grateful for your encouragement
Suzanne

friesin
08-29-2013, 02:02 PM
suzanne, these are definitely no nektarines! These are quite perfect peaches!
nektarines are darker within their reds, and as mentioned above they are shiny. These however are not shiny at all, I can nearly feel the soft, somehow velvet-like skin of a real peach. Just fine:thumbsup:

LynnM
08-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Perfect peaches! beautifully done, too. I have just been eating some that look just like that. Maybe it is the slightly granular look that makes it. I would have no idea where to begin, so can't contribute I'm afraid.

olliewood0702
08-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Mike, your peaches look VERY FUZZY! THis is a splendid still life. Great colors.

Scotslass
08-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Friesin, Lynn, Darla - thanks too...so very much....maybe if they're reading okay to you all I'm just a poor judge...I suspect you see more real ones than I do over here! Thanks for taking the time to comment...
Lynn I just read the wash and hope your knees recover quickly!
And.....I'm :lol: at my new persona....:)
Suzanne/Mike

LynnM
08-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks, Suzanne, I am walking better already, it was just a shock. Doug must have had his mind elsewhere :) he does so much on this site.

M.L. Schaefer
08-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Scotslass! The Peaches are perfection. Because no shine, the peaches look fuzzy as said ^^^^! Your colors are gorgeous.

I did notice one thing, the bowl has a sharp bend in the right hand side, and may need a smidgen of straightening to remove the sharp curve (it looks like one of the peaches is thinking of nudging its way out the bowl :) ). I didn't notice it right away, because my intent was on the beauty of the peaches!!!

Frame it, hang it, be proud of it!

:heart: M.

Possibly crop a bit off the bottom, or paint a fold line in and have it drape some? (or not?)

Cyntada
08-30-2013, 12:18 AM
how would YOU paint peaches?

Just like you did, because these are beautiful and I want to eat one, even though I just finished dinner. Can I have one for dessert?? :angel:

They definitely don't have the shine of a nectarine. You'd have to have big blown-out highlights to communicate that. I'll second Margarete's comment about the front of the cloth. Judging by the shadow you do intend to have a table edge there, but the cloth could say that a bit more clearly.

I just did a peach in a sketchbook, it wasn't exactly one pass but I did wash it with yellow, then barge in with some PO73 and PV19 while it was still wet. Let dry then PR101 for the shadows (which I think Char mentioned on another thread, it does indeed make a good shadow color for orangey fruits.) Works for a sketch, anyway. Was listening to a song at that moment that has a line "sinking like a bug in a peach", so that just had to get painted! :lol: Looking at my sketch, yours are much better. :thumbsup:

Lulu
08-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Oh I am falling off my chair here laughing at your new name Suzanne!!!:lol::lol:

I think you have done an amazing job, and I'm only sorry that peaches are out of season here at the moment, or I'd be reaching for one!

LOVE the title too! :D

One wee crit, the bowl and the edge of the peach in front of it are 'kissing'...for the composition it would have been better placed a little to the (our) right.
But that's only just my nsho lol

Well done Mike! haha, couldn't resist! definitely continue with still life, (and portraiture), you have a talent for it, AND you are a quick learner (and teach us a lot by your posts).

ps of course you could always ask your question about painting peaches in the Daily Wash too ;)

Scotslass
08-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your input!
Lynn - glad to hear re knees...and I would forgive Doug anything, he works so hard and I suspect we only know a fraction of what he does for us!
Margarete - thanks so much regarding the bowl and teetering fruit, and front shadow- Quite right, and I shall attend to them...
Cyntada - thanks for your description and comments...(I used W&N trans yellow,New Gamboge, Perm rose, Scarlet Lake, Quin Magenta, UMB and DS Quin Gold - just for info)And noted re the cloth too, thanks for taking the time to describe all that!
Lulu - Thanks so much for looking in....you see? ..... 'composition' :eek: a whole new abyss to teeter around :lol: Thanks for your comments and encouragement as always...Mike and I are both grateful!:D
My 2 day old new phone has a frozen screen (at the password) so back to the shop this morning *sigh*
Thanks all so much for your comments and encouragement
Suzanne

reikiart
08-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Suzanne, your peaches are perfect! :thumbsup:

Valri Ary
09-17-2013, 01:35 AM
Perfect peaches....so please stop the screaming!!!
Although I was very amused by the title....lol

teaberry222
09-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Love your work, and they definitely read like peaches. Well done!

Scotslass
09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Gosh where did this sneak back from?!
Reiki :D , Valri, Terry - thanks for your kind comments...much appreciated indeed...(this subject was a whole new world for me!)
Suzanne

Bella_K
09-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I think these peaches are wonderfull, wish i could paint mine like these!

CharM
09-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Suzanne, you've inspired me to attempt painting peaches! I found a reference in the RIL here on WC and I'm working on it... I love your fruit... peachy keen!

Scotslass
09-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Bella - thanks so much for looking in and encouraging!
Char - it seems I may have accidentally ( though I did try, and did 'think' about them.... more than many things I've tried to paint!) managed to do peaches reasonably realistically, though I certainly hadn't thought so when I posted....however I hope you're going to post yours when complete as I'd be really keen to see how someone - who knows what they're doing - does them![and you know what?.... I just bet you can do backgrounds and shadows as well as the peaches....:) ] As for inspired you...don't think anyone has ever said that to me before...if I have, I'm both stunned and flattered!:smug: Many thanks for looking in...
Suzanne

michelangelo71
09-20-2013, 03:53 AM
How beautiful! :)

iroquois
09-20-2013, 04:23 PM
I think they look like peaches........James

querin
09-24-2013, 11:25 PM
It sounds as though you learnt a lot from your proses it looks great.i would ha've likecto see the shadows cast someone the peach colors and to soften the edges with a damp .synthetic brush.using opaque colors at the final glazes would help to achieve fuzzy look.
Querin

raxu
09-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Suzanne, wow! I don't know what you are screaming for :) I find the peaches so jummy and real I could take a bite. Really, very good and fuzzy enough. Also the leaves: perfect. Way to go!
Did you post this to the Gallery? I haven't been in studio for a while, glad I decided to take a peak so I found the fruit of your fruitfull efforts.
ps: Mike would be proud :)!

Scotslass
09-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Gosh here again...Brunella, thanks so much for your kind words, James too...(and may I add your own paintings are just going from strength to strength which is just great to see!) Querin....you know I completely agree, my shadows and background were not 'there'...but I was so set on the peaches ( while knowing I cant do shadows or backgrounds!)that I didn't think too much of anything else - next time! I'm trying all different things on the quiet just now - frequently awful...but expending my very small comfort zone! Thanks for taking the time to say!
Raxu -thanks so much _ Mike and I have come to accept that maybe some of this is better than I thought...though....aargh...so much to learn! No...never went to the gallery....I put my 'tries' and 'ooooohs' here only !thanks for looking in!

Clamarel Munro
01-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Lovely painting.
Elaine
www.artincanada.com/elainemunro

kenzee
01-29-2014, 03:18 AM
Just wanted to add that they look very 'peach' like to me as well...the softness translates. Thanks for sharing the palette..its a delicious one. :-) [quin gold AND new gamboge..cannot go wrong with those two lovelies]

pjartwc
01-29-2014, 04:27 AM
Excellent!!

cem
01-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Super job on the peaches. They certainly do look fuzzy.

PaintBoss
01-29-2014, 12:25 PM
:clap: I really like it! The peaches are painted lovely -colour and conveying texture...
Little things.. My eye is drawn to the peaches in the bowl. I feel there may be a need for more shadow between the 2 peaches at the front..the underside of the peach behind them. Nothing too dark, just more….oh and more dramatic shadow in the leaf shadow (hanging over the bowl/peach). The shadow where its over the peach needs more punch in my opinion. It doesn't look certain it wants to be a shadow…
great job!