PDA

View Full Version : Canna flower

kagiva59
08-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Oil on 18"x24" canvas. Just finished this today based on a photo I snapped a few weeks ago in our garden. I tend to get impatient with the layering, but it turned out ok in spite of me.

I posted this in the Oil category as well, but haven't figured out how to cross x post.

c & c always welcome.

ajkon
08-28-2013, 11:26 PM
This is very well done. Thanks for posting it.
AJ

marionh
08-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Love that orange colour. Well done.

cem
08-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Beautifully done!

KreativeK
08-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Bob, this is stunning, and a canna flower bloom is not that easy to paint. Love your warm color palette and a somewhat silvery glow to its green leaves.

Paulafv
08-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Excellent flower, leaves and stunning against that deep background.

kagiva59
08-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am encouraged to try more flower paintings in my future.

Some simple composition notes for anyone interested:
I played with the photo reference in photoshop to replace the shed in the background with something more interesting. A blue sky with unfocused greenery would of made a very vibrant and happy painting.
A steel blue to dark gradient that was the opposite of the vermillion and many others were up for consideration. But a simple darkening of the main cadmium red light of the flower with a 50/50 mix of ivory black and raw umber jumped out as my choice.
I considered adding a couple of the large leaves (up to 14" long) that this plant sports, but they are all much lower than the top in this species, so I decided to stay 'real' with this one.
I tried to follow WFMartin's (member here) layering method that he uses for his stunning flower paintings, but I don't always have the patience at those early color layers. I keep wanting to cover up those dark grey areas with thick color. But I will try again soon.

Etoiledusoir
09-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Wow! these cannas are simply wonderful!