PDA

View Full Version : Backup, backup, backup

LavenderFrost
08-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Well I learned the hard way to keep works in progress backed up somewhere. My computer crashed and I lost everything, including a painting I was working on and had put many hours into already.

So remember to keep copies of your work someplace other than your computer.

EyeSpy
08-29-2013, 04:48 AM
Sorry to hear that, Michelle -- but, this is always great advice!

Elainepsq
08-29-2013, 09:42 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss Michelle, but.....Sounds like a good starter on a discussion on HOW you choose to backup and why
I personally, burn discs of each of my (paid) graphic design projects. and I have several years worth in a box. When I saw that the new macbooks don't have disc drives, I was alarmed, but they tell me you will always be able to get external burners/players. I do refer to those discs from time to time.

I also have an external drive, and let my computer go ahead and make automatic backups using Time Machine(which comes with MAC OS) A few years ago, I went to a seminar, and the speaker said that external hard drives only last 2 -3 years. I updated my about 3 years ago, my original that is 7 years old and still works..... So I guess like everything else, you need to be careful with them and they will last.

I have online storage, but I'm hesitant to store files there, it's supposed to be one of the safest ways. However, beware, a friend of mine, was backing up to an online service, and then found that some of her files were missing. It seems that she exceeded her bandwidth for the month so some of her backups were incomplete. so do be careful that your internet service is sufficient for regular backups of large files.

For me, the best backup is one that will work automatically, without me having to remember to do it!!!

LavenderFrost
08-30-2013, 01:39 PM
I have been using disks but just when I complete something. But now I know better than to trust luck that something won't happen mid project.

I can backup stuff online with Norton. Storage is limited unless you pay more, but I'm thinking that might be a good idea for current projects until I put them on disk.

~JMW~
08-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Flash drives, USB drives etc or a solid state ext drive are options too.

Those wouldn't get scratched or damaged as easily as cds/dvds and the usb/flash drives would take up less storage space than disks.

You can have an external drive or flash drive connected and set up automatic backups.

I have a seagate ext drive w/ usb connections and it came w/ a program for backups.
Other brands probably have similar.

Monastic Bat
08-30-2013, 02:48 PM
Michelle, I am sorry to here about your misfortune. Thank you for the reminder.
Greg

b'anna
08-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh Michelle. I am so sorry.........
I now backup regularly for that same reason. All my paintings in progress are on an external Hard drive and my finished are on two different external hard drives and the cloud. But you did make me think about in progress....If my external Hard drive crashes, I'm in trouble.
Barb

Eric Fisk CGD
09-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Oh! Been there, done thatÖ would have gotten the T-Shirt if my email wasnít clogged somewhere in the system.
Currently I have my Seagate external HD do nightly backups and I occasionally ďSave-AsĒ on my drop box or external server somewhere. Currently Iím looking to take my old Gateway 7210 Server and reattach it to the network here at home. Frankly Iím getting tired of seeing my hard work evaporate on occasion because of a save error.

A perfect example of this is when I was running a trial version of QuarkXpress. Every time it tried to do an automatic save it would delete the original file, go to save the project as the original file name, then crash. I could be working on a project for hours, then go to save and lose everything.

I will NEVER use QuarkXpress ever again. I went from an A+ to a B- thanks to that POSís automatic save feature.