PDA

View Full Version : The Good Bye X posted in A & WA

Equus Art
08-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm certainly far from a people portrait artist! In fact, I have avoided doing people at all cost. The photo of this painting also shows the face as much darker than it really is. I'm also not a PhotoShop wizard, its pretty evident.

My best friend sent me a photo of her husband saying his last good byes to his very elderly horse (32 yrs. old) before they peacefully sent him over The Bridge. He had a hoof problem for years that they were able to manage comfortably, but it was becoming increasingly hard for him in his later years. They made the hard decision and her husband went to the barn to visit one last time.

I knew I had to paint this for them as I felt it was also a beautiful connection moment between the two of them.

9" by 12" done on velour paper with Mt. Visions and Derwent pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2013/1182735-DanBugsy2.jpg

C & C welcome!

Cat

Rockport123
08-29-2013, 09:09 AM
You have given them something they will treasure forever! Bravo!

*Marina*
08-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Great memory for them, great painting.

Turpintine45
08-29-2013, 10:43 AM
You have captured a loving and tender moment very skillfully. I think you could do great portraits.

Mado
08-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Beautiful scene and rendering.I am moved.

water girl
08-29-2013, 03:45 PM
This beautiful painting shows the man's love for his beautiful friend. You have captured something very, very special.

Sarah Rose
08-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Wow, I'd have an emotional time painting that. I have been doing some mustangs and found out one that I had done a painting of died, I was really sad. Kudos to you for doing such a nice thing for them.

allydoodle
08-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Beautiful and painted with such sensitivity. This will be treasured forever I am sure.

gecko99
08-29-2013, 07:43 PM
This moved me to tears - there is a beautiful understanding here. Lots of painterly goodness too but the story is the real power.

Nicole

Klecks
08-29-2013, 09:33 PM
A beautiful painting indeed.
There is only one thing, my eyes are drawn to the the light sunny floor.
I would make it a lot darker and the wall above it accordingly. I have tried it out in photoshop and a dark background show the relation between the two more intensively without taking the sunny atmosphere away.

Equus Art
08-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Wow, thank you all for your overwhelming feedback on this piece! Especially thanks for saying my people portrait skills are better than I think they are.

It's been about a year since Bugsy was laid to rest. I've been holding the photo for the right time to paint it and then gift it to my friends. It was met with tears of joy and sadness as he was very special to them. I'm glad I was able to convey that specialness in this work.

Thanks all!

Cat

Theodorablau
08-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Beautiful and touching!