PDA

View Full Version : WIP Cape Cod Beach - C&Cs requested

pastel65
08-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Did this painting yesterday in class. Teacher felt almost done but I am debating shadows in sand, a little more work in sky and water, fix horizon line and perhaps a few other touches. Would appreciate C&Cs. Included reference picture first. This is from Cape Cod. Thanks Pam

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2013/1114042-picture_from_Cape_Cod.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2013/1114042-cape_cod_WIP.jpg

sketchZ1ol
08-25-2013, 02:39 PM
hello
the sense of temperature/the day in your painting is great . :)

you make good points about the sky , water , and HL .
- your foreground seems to lean towards a raw sienna ( which is fine )
whereas the ref pix , on my screen , has a bit more red
( may have to do with the camera/program )
which influences the water , sky .

this is where it gets tricky .
the stick you used for a ruddy colour in the grass clump center-right
might be used as a glaze when painting with oil to adjust water/sky , but
pastel has it's own character ,
and not knowing the sticks/support and your technical skill , it would be a WAG to advise .

if this makes any sense to you ,
get some input/discussion from the instructor ;
the temperature of the land and sea need to be brought together .
you are both closely familiar with how the painting has developed and what the instructor can offer .

just a thought .

Ed

Rockport123
08-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi Pam!

I hope you don't mind a few of my thoughts. First off I think it's looking very nice, however, may I suggest the following:

I would add more cool colors to the foreground grasses, this will help
provide depth.

In addition, I would put cool colors in the shadow areas around the grasses within the sand. The beach sand is always being blown around or stepped in so there's always peaks and valleys. You can use these shadows to harmonize with the blues in your sky and also lead the eye to the beach.

I would also add a few people in places where you want to stop the eye, like perhaps the waters edge. As it appears to me now my eye goes straight out to the horizon and never comes back. By placing a small figure with perhaps a semi-warm red shirt on the right side of the shoreline, I think that would stop the eye from leaving your picture.

Rockport123
08-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi Pam!

I hope you don't mind a few of my thoughts. First off I think it's looking very nice, however, may I suggest the following:

I would add more cool colors to the foreground grasses, this will help
provide depth.

In addition, I would put cool colors in the shadow areas around the grasses within the sand. The beach sand is always being blown around or stepped in so there's always peaks and valleys. You can use these shadows to harmonize with the blues in your sky and also lead the eye to the beach.

I would also add a few people in places where you want to stop the eye, like perhaps the waters edge. As it appears to me now my eye goes straight out to the horizon and never comes back. By placing a small figure with perhaps a semi-warm red shirt on the right side of the shoreline, I think that would stop the eye from leaving your picture.

As I said these are just my thoughts, I agree with Ed to seek your instructors advice.

Keep it up and please post the finished work!

Marlene

Rockport123
08-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Sorry Pam I don't know why my response posted twice???

Marlene

pastel65
08-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Ed & Marlene, Thank you for your suggestions. They will definitely help. Pam

artsask
08-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Really like what you have done with this.

Trudi

pastel65
08-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Thank you Trudi. I am doing some additional work on it and lightly sketching in the fence and people to see what I think. Pam

sketchZ1ol
08-27-2013, 03:21 PM
hello

the painting looks okay to me without getting into that other stuff ;
there are changes of depth which would require much less work ,
and the end of the fence in the center of the frame bluntly stops ...

also , the mass and marks of foliage center-right keep my eye in the painting
against the diagonal going up from the lower left ...

Ed

JustinM
08-28-2013, 11:58 AM

This.

I wouldnt necessarily copy the reference shot but the thing that gives it interest are the people (love the missing bridge) etc.

pastel65
08-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Thank you Justin. Since I am doing this as a learning experience I am trying a few options. I put two people near the water, plan on adding a dog and may add the people walking up the path. I did put fencing just on the left side and really like that. Right now I am using a Claudia Nice book for lessons on sketching in people and practicing. Pam