PDA

View Full Version : Another Grandson

Turpintine45
08-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Just finished this one of my grandson. It is not quite him. It is still on the easel so any comments , corrections welcome,
11x12 UArt paper Various pastels.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2013/216461-IMG_1189R_Large.JPG

Theodorablau
08-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Jen, you have such pretty grandsons, no wonder you like to paint them!And that smile really reaches his eyes, well done.
A few things; check the bridge of his nose, at the moment it looks as if part of it is missing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2013/1115812-image.jpg

And I would play down the single strands of hair, they distract from the face. I found that with hairs less is more; when the distribution of the values are right, the brain still reads them as hair. If you like, take a look at another portrait I did; you'll see what I mean: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320236

I like that turquoise reflection on his jawline!

Grinner
08-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Agreed, I love the smiling eyes and that gorgeous reflected light! He looks like a very sweet child, and this is the kind of portrait that makes people smile.

On the dark side of the face, there is a bit of "skin halo" right at the hairline, so you might pull that lovely grey-violet upward so that shadow blends into the hair. I would also check that nostril on our left, and the shape of the left side of each iris.

pastel65
08-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Very nice. I cannot do portraits so I really admire your talent. Pam

sketchZ1ol
08-25-2013, 01:54 PM
hello
looks very good up to here .
- then , there are the devilish details ... :)

because the skin tones are So good ,
may i suggest that the turning edges of the high-key highlights be softened
with whatever device you use on this support ,
as well as the darks of the eyelids/creases , and then ,
allow yourself time and comfort to think about the features
and how the lighting creates a ' sculpted ' feel ' .
you may find that those extremes can be re-emphasized with a few careful marks,
but more selectively ...

i'm guessing that you are using a ref pix '
and because of that , the high and low key details may be pushed a bit ...
now it's time to take charge of the painting and make it your own !
-- the hair could be roughly blocked off with paper while the face is refined ,
and then considered relative to the face .

your marks are good , as are the skin tone and shadow colours ,
and the lips/mouth in particular are excellent !
( i guess that they are my ref point to consider the entire image ... :rolleyes: )

anyway ,
will look to see how you go forward . :)

Ed

Rockport123
08-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Hi Jen!

What a handsome young man!!

I agree with the previous comments and I would add another:

I think the nostrils are too dark. I would add a warmer tone to give them more depth. Right now they appear to be two holes.

I really like the portrait!!!!!

Turpintine45
08-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Dorothea, thank you his nose has been a fight and I see what you mean.
Grinner, Thanks for your pointers too.
Pastel65, thank you for your comment.
Ed, thanks you for your thoughtful words. I will do my best. Yes a photo the child was actually still for a second!
Rockport, I appreciate your words.
I wont be at the studio for a couple of days but will look at it again then.

Mado
08-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Nicely done !

Ruthie57
08-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Jen, I love the skintones you've created and his cheeky smile. The whole thing looks so fresh, good work!
The nostrils don't look quite lined up to me...maybe check that out...although noses are not always symmetrical of course.
As for the likeness, well, I don't know of course. What I will say is that I think I could recognise him as your Grandson, having met you. It's the eyes I think! And maybe the smile too :)

Turpintine45
08-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Mado, thanks for looking.
Ruithie, you are a sweetie, thanks. I will check out his nose again. His Mum took a kindergarten picture this week and there is a good picture of his nose to compare. That has been my biggest trouble for getting the likeness.