PDA

View Full Version : Sennelier D'artigny Fixative for oil pastels

halthepainter
08-24-2013, 08:28 PM
On several occasions I have written negatively about Sennelier Oil Pastel Fixative. I felt that it left my OPs sticky but I must have done something wrong, possibly applying too heavily.

I recently tired it again, in several lightly applied layers, and the results are equal to my Grumbacher Final Fixative that I have praised many times in the past.

Both fixatives, after four or five thin applications, leave a nice non smearing surface. If I were just framing for display at home, I would be tempted to avoid glazing. However neither fixative will pass the fingernail test. That is the test, for me, as to weather to glaze or not glaze.

I just felt I should correct my past postings.

Flycatcher10
08-25-2013, 10:47 AM
I have no experience with fixatives so I'm a little confused. A couple of questions:

Because neither fixative passes the fingernail test, does that mean you won't use them to seal the OP painting?

If they aren't passing the fingernail test, in what circumstances or purpose would you use either fixative?

Did either of these two fixatives change the colors or dull the appearance of your oil pastels?

halthepainter
08-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Hi Mary. I'm still playing with the idea of eventually framing my oil pastels without having to use glazing.
A few coats of Sennelier oil pastel fixative or Grumbacher final fixative will prevent smearing or damage to an oil pastel from routine handling.
I would surmise that if you are farming for in home use, either fixative would be adequate enough to protect your pastels.

At art fairs, I've had wind blow paintings of their racks and a corner hitting an acrylic or oil painting can of course damage their surfaces. However those two surfaces are quite firm. The surface of a fixed oil pastel is not as firm and resistant.

I have two oil pastels that were fixed and then an acrylic varnish/media painted over them and their surfaces are every bit as hard as an oil painting and they are framed without glazing. Unfortunately, I didn't keep good enough records to be sure of the combinations used to produce those results.

I've also had OPs on which I over painted with acrylic gel of medium that have peeled after a few weeks. I'm pretty sure the ones that peeled telegraphed the problem because the medium tended to bead when applied.
I was experimenting with a lot of different fixatives at the time. I've settled on just these two fixatives. Now I'll start the gel or varnish testing over again.

So I'm starting the process all over again and hope to keep better this time.

multifaceted
11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I have a wood stove and this creates a very dry atmostphere.

I've found that the heat from the stove seems to thoroughly dry oil pastel painting. If it is thoroughly dry, it would seem that it could be fixed without worry of peeling.

I haven't tried it, but maybe I will.

I would like to have them fixed, so they could be more easily stored.

But it may take years for the peeling to occur.

Lostjedi
02-17-2014, 01:09 AM
I have tried drying with a hair dryer and then applying several small coats of varnish which seams to be good enough for home displays.