PDA

View Full Version : Tilt...

Bluesman
08-24-2013, 12:06 PM
I spent some time on the drawing to the right and kept wondering what was going wrong..can anyone relate our am I just slow..lol.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2013/31507-Tilt.jpg

SteveBerry
08-24-2013, 01:13 PM
I think the jaw line is slightly off center from the nose and mouth, as if the jawline is slightly more vertical than the rest of the face. The forehead is relatively high, but some people have high foreheads. I also think sketches like this, where the head and neck are tilted in an active way, read much better if you include more of the shoulders. Then we can tell what the axis of the rest of the body is relative to the head.

M.L. Schaefer
08-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Your aligned painting is much better than the sketch! Painting loose is freeing and fresh, however, it might be an idea to put a small pencil mark where, for instance the eye brow begins/ends...it isn't exactly painting within the lines (which I'm thinking would not agree with you at all) but it will bring some semblance of order (and, human beings, love order..they make order out of things even if doesn't exist...i.e., wanting to paint things equally spaced, in a row :lol: . And, too much disorder, may keep a viewer's eye from moving through the painting...caught and held captive by an unruly eyebrow :lol: !

AND, by the way, you are improving at a fantastic rate! :clap:

:heart: Margarete

pjartwc
08-25-2013, 07:04 AM
I agree that your painting is much better than the sketch. All the features are off in the drawing. In the painting, the eyes are correct, the nose looks good. The mouth seems a little off - the center seems a tad too far toward the (our) right. The right (our) side angle could be a little more tilted or higher so it balances the left side. Even with all these, it's a very nicely painted portrait.

Bluesman
08-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks to you all for the wealth of information and the cc. When I was young I strived for realism, now a battle between imagination and wanting to do more realistic paintings is taking place. These or both sketches just to show a lightbulb as to why sketch 2 looked so off. I am drawing more and seeing watercolor as a tool to give more life to the drawings. I'm retired and trying to re-learn an old passion of mine.

reikiart
08-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I think you are doing really great! Just keep at it! :wave:

Bluesman
08-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks so much reikiart ! :)
John