PDA

View Full Version : Steeple Rock

portalhome
08-23-2013, 08:21 PM
This is a mountain in my county that I have always loved. I am not painting it photo-realistically, rather how I feel about it. I am doing fine with the background details, we will see how it goes as I move toward the foreground!! This is a full sheet of Arches 300lb. paper.

M.L. Schaefer
08-23-2013, 08:42 PM
I love it already! The colors are superb, your use of perspective :clap: :clap:!!

:heart: M.

Yorky
08-24-2013, 01:48 AM
What a wonderful start. Lovely shadows on the mountain.

Doug

pjartwc
08-24-2013, 05:06 AM
This is coming along nicely. I love the way you blending the paint. Very watercolor!!!

painterbear
08-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Alice,
Your painting is off to a great start. Love the mountain and sky, and I am looking forward to seeing you work on it some more.

Sylvia

noge
08-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Excellent start :thumbsup:

Monastic Bat
08-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Very nice start, I am looking forward to the finished painting.
Regards,
Greg.

portalhome
08-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Well, I tried a limited palette again, and boy did I choose the wrong colors! I'm worn out, going to bed and will see what I can rescue in my next painting session. BUT, I am posting it. I was tempted to just delete the post, but this site is about learning right? Well, this is me, learning. LOL Slowly...

Yorky
08-27-2013, 01:52 AM
I like it Alice. I am sure you will be able to balance the colours with the foregground.

Doug

LynnM
08-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Yes, I like it too, only you know the vision in your head, but what is on paper is very interesting!

WthrLady
08-27-2013, 09:49 AM
I Love the colours! Sorry you don't.

M.L. Schaefer
08-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Hi, Alice. Yes, colors are a matter of taste. I love your painting, but would like to see more "cohesion" to it. Orange is the complement of Blue, so possibly change up your warmest with an orange or orange/some other color mix? Or, in the alternative, put some of the color of the foremost hill in other parts of the painting...the same thing holds true of the Or put a spot of the pale green you used on the mountain, a bit more through the painting. That, to my eye, is what is missing..."cohesion." The mountain is expertly painted, I think its a matter of color and value. I like your technique of blending colors and having hard/soft edges in the painting!

So, the foreground, is glaring with light, as opposed to anywhere else in the mountain...not a bad thing for the desert, but not so good for this painting. It is the COI, not a good thing for this mountain. Try a different color (use a light mountain color that you already have) and detritus in the foreground, rather than the bushes you have now. Carefully plan the detritus, so that it leads to the mountain. Soften the edges of the bottom of the foremost hill some...it should just flow with the foreground (its hard to explain...right now the bright foreground, then the hard edge hill is an absolute barrier that does not allow one's eye to flow towards the beautiful mountain)

Otherwise, a whole lot of people, including me :evil: , don't have mountain painting talents..to others, they are like trees, an adjunct and not quite worth becoming an expert.

portalhome
08-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Oh, after being gone to school all day and coming back to my studio, I am still totally stumped! M is right it needs unity. I used a very limited palette, thinking that would keep me from having to fuss over balance, but no! It has occurred to me that I can always use this as a base for a nice pastel piece, at least my $18.00 sheet of paper won't be wasted.

I'm glad you guys like the crazy colors, it will help me slow down on the destruction of it and puzzle this one out. Maybe I can still pull it off... Have I mentioned lately that I'm not a landscape painter?? Yeah, I thought so..

Yorky
08-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Why not try filling the light foreground digitally on your computer with a burnt sienna colour that you have used on the mountaun. You could vary the colour by adding raking shadows.

I'll try later when I am on my laptop.

Doug

portalhome
08-28-2013, 01:13 AM
I like your idea, but there's no burnt sienna in it. Part of the problem is that my lemon yellow, rose madder and phthalocyanine blue wont mix the color I want there. I chose those colors just on a wild whim and have been fighting them all the way through. I'm considering using a red cigarette lighter on it... : )

Late last night I did what you're suggesting, but with paint. I am so freaked out by it that I don't know what to think! I'll post when I muster up the courage! I really appreciate your interest, Doug.

Yorky
08-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Use a paler version of the one in your darker midground mountain.

PS I think the problem lies with the nearest layer of hills, it is too dark. Why not try lifting some of the colour?

Doug

Yorky
08-28-2013, 02:35 AM
OK here is a rough manip with more foreground colour and paler hills. I would mask off the bushes and spatter the foreground to create texture. I can't do it on the laptop but easy to do with a brush.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2013/1046-AADesertnn.n.jpg

You have to admit it make a dramatic difference and puts the focus back on the mountain.

Doug

M.L. Schaefer
08-28-2013, 12:14 PM
I think Yorky's idea is a really good one, and the softening of the colors helps a lot. BUT I'm thinking cropping? Just plain get rid of a lot of the foreground to keep the eye on the mountain?