PDA

View Full Version : Mixing greens

Johannes Instructor
08-03-1999, 11:10 PM
Ultramarine Blue has the property of sedimentary pigment, which means will separate. This is sometimes used by some painters to convey a look of sand etc. (There are other sedimentary pigments).

You are on the right track though, mixing blue with diverse ochres and yellows to obtain greens. I'm against artists using pre-prepared greens from tubes.

I would suggest using:

First option: phthalo blue with lemon yellow, yellow ochre or raw sienna, Indian yellow, raw umber, burnt sienna

Second option: Substitute phthalo blue for Prussian blue

Johannes Instructor
08-03-1999, 11:21 PM
Ellen Fountain has a complete tutorial on sedimentary pigments and how they behave.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Watercolors/SedimentaryPigments/index.html

Leslie Pettie
08-04-1999, 12:50 AM
When I use green, that I have mixed on my palette with UM blue and Lemon yellow or Cad yellow, and drop it wet on wet on the paper it is seperating. So along with areas of green, I end up with spots of blue and spots of yellow.

I am using Grumbacher student quality paints.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening?

gypsy
08-15-1999, 10:44 PM
Leslie, try Grumbacher artist quality tube paints. there is a reason those are called "student" paints. Artist quality paints are more concentrated and will be cheaper in the long run, too. Also, you might try making yourself some color mixing charts for reference using the paint that you have so that you can refer to them until you learn exactly what each is going to do. Luck to you!