PDA

View Full Version : Golden Evening

driz
08-23-2013, 11:39 AM
This is not finished. I'm trying to to decide whether to go darker on the right hand side reflection. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2013/1222716-image-1.jpg

Cyntada
08-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Welcome, driz!! :wave: This piece looks amazing, I'd love to see it larger. Based on the small image here, I'd say the right could be darker, it looks a little unfinished as it is. Love that moody late-afternoon light!

M.L. Schaefer
08-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Hello, Driz, and Welcome!

It will look less unfinished when the most important tree's shadow is reflected...and now, what is the "Rule" - light objects reflect darker, dark objects reflect lighter???? (Dang if I can remember, why? Because I don't follow rules much (hard-headed, that's me). Me, I'm loving it the way it is...with the reflections' value the way they are now.

:heart: M.

pjartwc
08-24-2013, 05:04 AM
This is a nice painting. I would say no to darkening the right hand side. You do need your darkest dark within the rocks where the tree slants. That's the focal point and you want the greatest contrast there. Right now the eye goes toward the dark area at the bottom. You might also want to darken some of the shadows a little more.

painterbear
08-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Hi Driz,
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum.

Your painting is already looking beautiful. Will you be putting more in the area on the right that looks white at this time? You might finish that before deciding on darkening the reflections.

You can make your images a bit larger, I usually do 600 pixels high x 800 pixels wide. ;)

Sylvia

scribblet
08-24-2013, 03:32 PM
It's lovely, I too would like to see a larger pic.

portalhome
08-25-2013, 07:16 PM
I like the combination of hard and soft edges you have going here. You have a nice, light touch. To my eye, the trees would make some reflection in the water on the right side, as softly as the foliage is portrayed above. Those colors need repeating in the lower section to tie the painting together.

noge
08-26-2013, 02:26 AM
Hello, Driz, and Welcome!

It will look less unfinished when the most important tree's shadow is reflected...and now, what is the "Rule" - light objects reflect darker, dark objects reflect lighter????
:heart: M.

There is no rule - but usual the reflection makes you look from the ground up ;) if there is a tree - you see the shadow side of it - and this is normal darker:wave: