PDA

View Full Version : Morning Glories

NorahT
06-25-2001, 12:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2001/glorieswc.JPG [IMG]

Here I am again. You would not believe the runaround I gave myself before I made it! Am hopefully posting a painting I am working on. I would like to paint this on at least a 15x22" paper, but I think it needs a little work before I do that. I seem to have a hole in the middle of the composition for a start. Any suggestions to improve this painting before I attempt a larger version would be much appreciated.

This is done with several glazes of watercolour and then gel pen added.

carly
06-25-2001, 12:54 PM
Squint and take a look at the composition you have in the flowers. There is a strong X pattern with the one blossom centered and surrounded by the darkest areas. Your colors are vibrant and the shapes look good....a bit more overlapping of the blossoms would be more interesting...giving more depth to the overall composition with some in the background, others in the foreground. Watch making all the shapes too similar too...turning some flowers away from you would add interest. I think this would look really good in a larger format! and I really admire anyone who does a smaller sketch for planning. That's one of my weak points!
carly

edith
06-25-2001, 07:29 PM
Hi there, i like the morning glories. nice and clourful. sorry i cannot help with advice but i don't feel able to. however, i do know what i like. the use of gel pens is interesting - never thought of that and i have them too. maybe u can advise me.

NorahT
06-26-2001, 09:10 AM
Hi carly, Thank you for your input. I printed it off in black and white, as I would like to have your suggestion handy when I tackle the next version. I think the b&w gives me much the effect of squinting and I see what you mean about the X pattern. I have only just lately begun to make the smaller tryouts and find I learn a lot from them.

Hi edith, This is the first time I have used the gel pens. I have a feeling they only make them in pastel colours, but hopefully they will bring some darker shades out eventually. The ones I have were labelled "acid free", so I figured they would be okay for watercolours. I read about them on the internet somewhere and they had been used for fine lines where frisket was awkward and for marking in snow on branches.

sun_merman
06-26-2001, 05:29 PM
The colors are wonderful! The only thing I could think to add might be to throw some of the flowers into the background to force the eye in a specific direction for looking. Excuse the somewhat vague suggestion, but I don't know how else to say it.

I'm excited to see your finished "larger" version.