PDA

View Full Version : here's my take on Staithes...

JohnTheDrummer
08-22-2013, 11:41 AM
...a well and often -painted lovely village, but I thought I'd post one of my paintings...see what everyone thinks?
:wave:

I'm definitely of the 'less is more' thinking, but still always tempted to go back in and paint more into it...

olliewood0702
08-22-2013, 11:49 AM
What a great perspective of this little town. It looks almost half finished to me as I'd like to at least see a pale wash of some color on the buildings. Or maybe even more crosshatching/shading on some more of the buildings. But this is your painting and it's really nice just the way you rendered it. ;)

Yorky
08-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Excellent sketch, I look forward to seeing the finish. A magical place.

I'll move it to the Studio where you can post progress pictures.

Doug

Deborah Secor
08-22-2013, 01:38 PM
John, I think it's wonderful just as it is, if it's an ink drawing! Post it in the drawing forum and see what they think. Those of us who paint will miss the paint...those who draw may not feel the lack as much, although I also like what Darla suggested, perhaps a bit more focus in one area achieved by more detail there. But less is more and it works well for me.

JohnTheDrummer
08-23-2013, 05:07 AM
Thanks folks, and apologies for not posting in the right forum!!! I will go off now and find the drawing forum....it is almost finished, all I'll do is to crop it a little for framing. I have been actively pursuing my own 'style' for a while now, and this one...clean ink lines with minimal colour, does seem to attract favourable comments from those who see it..I am always tempted though to add more colour,subtly as you suggest...
I still feel the need to paint 'properly' though...here's one which is nearer a true watercolour?
I love Staithes by the way...I'm showing at the Festival of Art & Heritage there in September...can't wait -nervous and excited at once!
Thanks again for all your input and comments...
EDIT: I should apologise for the iphone shots :o ...it's all I have access to right now...proper scanning will follow.

Yorky
08-23-2013, 05:49 AM
You are right John, a wonderful place. Sadly because of my wife's infirmity I would find it very difficult to visit Staithes now with car parking at the top of the hill. I used to go often when the kids were young.

Doug

portalhome
08-23-2013, 11:32 AM
I like both pieces. I've always wondered where to categorize pen and ink with watercolor myself. I think your drawing style would look pretty great over the top of variegated washes where the color comes out from beneath the ink, too.

JohnTheDrummer
08-23-2013, 11:43 AM
thank you Alice...I did look around the site for a while to find the right place...I work mainly in ink, with washes underneath...but they are watercolours so that 's why I plumped for this thread...

Doug...I agree Staithes is magical, and I'm saddened to hear about your wife.
JOhn

Deborah Secor
08-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Gosh, I hope my post didn't "sound" at all critical. It wasn't meant to be that at all! I really admire the work you're doing. I post all over the place, here, in drawing & sketching, in the journal forum and elsewhere, so I think nothing of suggesting a hop around. It's fun to see the responses to the work in various places.

Your clean ink drawing is strong, with the watercolor adding a nice sense of place and time of day. I don't think you need to change a thing. Your voice is clear and the work is well done. I'm sure you do well at such Festivals as you mentioned. :)

TerryKrysak
09-05-2013, 03:06 AM
Excellent sketch, I look forward to seeing the finish. A magical place.

I'll move it to the Studio where you can post progress pictures.

Doug

This may be the wrong place to ask this question, sorry for that. Am having no luck finding any photos in the image library, can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks very much
Terry Krysak

paintersmustash
09-05-2013, 03:10 AM
i like the drawing the way it is .. it looks like something old is new great work !

Yorky
09-05-2013, 03:38 AM
You can see som of Staithes from Cowbar on Street View HERE. (http://goo.gl/maps/iHm6d) and HERE (http://goo.gl/maps/Ls11H)

Doug

TerryKrysak
09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Yorky, thanks so much for the google map links, much appreciated.
I believe we can use a google map image as subject matter and not worry about copyright? Am sure I read that somewhere.
Thanks
Terry

Yorky
09-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Yorky, thanks so much for the google map links, much appreciated.
I believe we can use a google map image as subject matter and not worry about copyright? Am sure I read that somewhere.
Thanks
Terry
Yes, see the Favourite Street View Locations thread at the top of Palette Talk for an explanation.

Doug

pjartwc
09-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Love your drawing. Perhaps a couple of yellow lights in a window?