PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Thursday 22nd August 2013 ***

Yorky
08-22-2013, 02:48 AM
Good morning all :wave:

A dull but dry orning here, and still quite warm at 16C/61F.

Art class this morning. let's see how the faired with last week's liliy pond ;)

Today I think it will be a building in the landscape.

Doug

shipbroker
08-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Morning all.

Our weather somewhat different Doug as heavy rain for last three hours!

Off to Ipswich for some repairs to caravan part.

geoff

Lulu
08-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Evening:wave:
About the same temperature here Doug!

Having fun, sorting, tossing, burning.....years of 'stuff'!!!

:wave:

Yorky
08-22-2013, 03:50 AM
Sun has broken through here Geoff, Lulu :wave:

I corrected the day :rolleyes:

Doug

Roun2it
08-22-2013, 03:56 AM
Mornin' each .......... :wave:

Hi everyone .......... Lulu I believe I owe you a Happy Birthday for yesterday so ................... fill in the blanks ......... :thumbsup: :music: :heart:

Annie the great wall looks erm...... great :thumbsup:

Are we safe to add photos now?

I'm busy today as yesterday I went all out and purchased a new iMac .......... never had a Mac before so it's all new to me.

I have had an iPad for over a year now and quite like the interface so thats what swung me ........... it certainly wasn't the price .... :lol: these things are so expensive. I was looking at a Windows 8 All in One PC but each time I read a review on one it made me up my price to the next level until I was almost spending the same cash as an iMac and then the reviewers kept saying it's not an iMac, so in the end I went for it.

It all started when DD Joanne broke her PC and it can't be fixed so I was looking to buy her one for her B'day, but when I saw the bright shiny things looking at me from the screen and in the stores I thought they were too good for Joanne, who has bust 3 computers in as many years .......... So I thought what a good idea it would be for me to have the brand new spanking shiny all singing all dancing mega machine and for Joanne to have my older model ............. the rest as they say is history ......... :lol:

Now don't tell me I made a big mistake, I've only just opened the box ..... but if you can please help any of you Mac users out there if you have any fav programs or Apps that I should consider then please let me know. Any books on how to? or web sites that explain things would be great as the iMac comes with little if no instructions.

OK gotta go and migrate all my stuff from the PC ......... I failed that task last night so a fresh start today ............

laudesan
08-22-2013, 04:03 AM
:wave:

Medical appointment this morning, a wonderful lunch, moseying around the Art Shed (http://www.artshedbrisbane.com.au/) and Reverse Garbage (http://www.reversegarbage.com.au/), then home.. Life drawing (http://www.artshedbrisbane.com.au/life-drawing.html) last night, after a long hiatus, was just awesome!!!

Love hugs and healing vibes

:heart:

Yorky
08-22-2013, 04:06 AM
Hi Kev, good luck with the Mac.

Depending on the model you may be able to run Windows on your Mac and use your PC software.

PS Hi JJ :wave:

Doug

Roun2it
08-22-2013, 04:23 AM
Depending on the model you may be able to run Windows on your Mac and use your PC software.

Doug

Yeah I said that to the guy at Apple and he said "Yes you could ......... but why would you want to, you would have a PC then"

I'm gonna stick to the old model of trial and error and learn the Mac way of doing things.

Lulu
08-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Are we safe to add photos now?

Well you know what happened last time you did...:lol:

doppler
08-22-2013, 05:13 AM
Good evening all.

Kev, trial and error works well. Has for me.

Beware predictive text though. It wrings more language out of Roger, and ahem me, than rolling rocks. You have an iPad so you know. Local afternoon radio had a segment where people could call in and announce their predictive text boo boos. Was laughing so hard I nearly missed a corner. I then did the predictable text. :angel:

Roger wants a Mac.

He's not getting one. SO there.

He is going to North Stradbroke Island for four days of fishing and lolling on beaches soon. With our landscaper and mates. Also fishing. The landscaper has become a really good friend. He did a great job. We paid on the button. He lives across the road. We all share interests and opinions. Go figure. :thumbsup: Great practise for Rogers photography before the Yosemite trip.

I get four days of sulky cats and baked beans on toast. Whatever! :lol:

Lulu
08-22-2013, 05:27 AM
Annie, you should go to Rarotonga, they have a Whatever bar there...they serve very good fush and chups!

painterbear
08-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just after 5:15 a.m. here in still dark, still warm Oakwood. We are on the AC for the next week or so with the high temps. One good thing is the tomatoes are finally turning red in the garden now that the nights are warm. :D

I'm still working on the Mother's Day Bouguet painting and I'm at the scary cast shadows on the table spot. :crossfingers: I don't mess up now.

Caryl, I've printed out a postcard sized image of my painting of Hawthorn Hill, the Wright Brothers home they built here in Oakwood. Will type up a bit of info for the back and get it in the mail for Mr. Mack's Social Studies class project. :D

Kev, Welcome to Mac world. If I could learn how to use a Mac, anybody can. Of course, I only use a small percent of its wonderful capabilities because I need someone to teach me the rest. ;) One of the best "how to" books I borrowed from the library is iMac for Dummies. Another good one is Switching to Mac: the Missing Manual. I think you are going to enjoy your new computer. Did you get a BIG screen? I love mine. :heart: Another reason to be cautious about running Windows on your Mac is it opens you up to all the hackers that attack wWindows (lots more than attack Macs at this point). :angel:

Annie, Ahhhh, while Roger's away practicing his photography and fishing, you get to relax and enjoy the company of the kitties ó and tend to the plants you are putting in your terra cognito garden, of course. ;) Larry has taken to eating beans on toast (or mashed potato cakes) lately. Doesn't tempt me at all. :D

:wave: to Doug, Lulu, Geoff (when he checks in), and all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

pjartwc
08-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Kev, I purchased the MacBook Pro about a year ago after owning Microsoft for many many years. I love it - and you don't need virus protection. It takes a bit of getting use to as the functions are a bit different. The online forum helps a lot. I also have the ipad which I also cannot now easily do without.

Ellen in Ont
08-22-2013, 06:38 AM
:wave: everyone,
A quick hi on my way out to work. I hope it is a better shift than the terrible one yesterday.:crossfingers:

It is so hard to see that it is still dark when I get up for work. We are losing daylight fast.

I don't have time for more so Hugs to all who need them.

Scene Chaser
08-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Good Day All,
First, Hap and Annie, Iím so sorry for your recent finding and hope it is nothing to worry about.

Anne, thanks for the advice about getting rid of stuff. Janet and I discuss it every day.

Kev, one good thing about staying clear of Windows on your Mac, I have one, is Iíve never needed any antivirus protection. But, occasionally Apple will offer a download to protect from possible infections.

Repairman for the refrigerator is coming today. They said they would arrive somewhere between 8:00 Am and 5:00 PM. :eek: The fridge is almost a year old.
Bill

Uschi
08-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Good Morning!!!!

Another sunny, warm and quite humid day in the making.

It is Thursday, that means "eat cake and scrabble day":)

Since I am fishing out my last clean pair of you know whats, it is also going to be laundry day.

Here are the results of Ava's, Ethan's and my attempt at the Tie Dye. The last one on the right looks like someone got shot in the heart:lol: but the others turned out not too badly. I have already worn mine to table tennis, told them it was to confuse them when they are playing:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2013/10602-Tiedye.jpg

Char, how nice that the girls found friends to play with!!

:wave: to ALL and HAWLTAIN!!

Uschi

olliewood0702
08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Happy THursday Washers,

It's sunny this morning after a night of storms and rain. We REALLY needed the rain so it's refreshing this morning. It's supposed to get quite warm today too.

THe girls were over last evening. They are all so enjoyable and fun. The two older ones are in cheer practices several nights a week; the football games start very soon. Klaira is so comical and animated; she's at such a cute age right now, speaking and learning new words.

I love my I-Pad and would like a Mac-Pro. When my Dell laptop goes I'm hoping to get one. My daughter has one and my sons both do too; they love them.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, Larry's off. We hope to get a few things purchased for our basement. We are wanting to get going on it before the weather turns colder and we'll want to spend more time down there.

Uschi, great pic of the Tie-dyed T's! You did a marvelous job. I had a good :lol: at your strategy in wearing yours to table tennis.

I hope you all have a most wonderful day and I'm sending ((())) to all in need.

G'DAY:wave: :heart:

NancyR
08-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Good morning from a sizzling Texas, we are still in the 90s with a chance of rain in a week. Our weathermen try to keep our hopes up!

Kev, I have an iMac, and I love it. Do not put Windows on the machine, it crashed mine. However, it was so easy to restore. I have an external hard drive that automatically backs up my machine every time I turn it on. In our house we have two iMacs, two iPads, two iPad Minis, two iTouches, and two iPhones. We are totally Mac and will never go back to Windows. When there is a system upgrade, it only costs $25 and is seamless to install. I did purchase Office for Mac, but it only cost me $25 through work. I am so used to using that software, I had to have it. For other applications, browe the App Store, and you will find everything you will ever need at very reasonable prices. If you set up Cloud, everytime you update your bookmarks or music on the iPad--it will automatically update your iMac.

Have to get to work, see you all later.
NancyR
\

LynnM
08-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Good morning :wave: more heat here, too, we get your weather, Sylvia!

There was a power outage yesterday evening, probably because of A/C overload. Hope it doesn't happen again. I had visions of the whole of eastern North America in dark....not so it seems! Made me realize I had given my emergency (camping) lanterns to my daughter to store, must get them back. Not a single candle in my place and I discovered that the ones on my balcony had melted in the heat :eek: So I knitted by flashlight for a while :rolleyes:

Have to rush off, must clean kitchen before my DD arrives.....we are visiting Locke St. in Hamilton, an interesting place with antique stores and other little shops, and a very good natural foods store where I need some advice.

Greetings to all here and all to come, I hope you have a good day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

CharM
08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Good morning Washer Buds! It has clouded over this morning and we're expecting thunder storms... no big deal, just regular summer rains. We're planning o make a run to Windsor anyway... We need to do a Costco shop.

I think I got my summer tan all in one afternoon yesterday... I didn't burn, but I am pretty brown. I like having a bit of colour as it makes me look healthy... :lol:

Sylvia, I posted a photo for you in yesterday's Wash... hehehe

Uschi, your shirts look beautiful... I really wish we'd bought a more colourful kit.

I'm happy with my Windows based pc's... my laptop is dying a slowly and horribly and is really needing to be replaced... the fans no longer cool the machine and the battery is dead... It's almost 10 years old and owes me nothing! :) At 1/4 the price of a Mac, I won't feel too bad about spending the money...

I have some stuff to print for Caryl too, even though she wasn't interested in Canadian postcards... :cat:

Annie... A little *alone* time is a Martha Stewart Good Thing!

Lulu, I dread the purging, but perhaps I'm approaching it as a hated chore instead of an adventure! :loil:

The Girls are arguing about who gets in the shower first... time for me to go and exert my stern Grammy voice...

((Henry and Lesley)), ((Lyn)), ((Hap and Annie))

Have the best possible day Everyone! :wave:

painterbear
08-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi again,
Just had to pop back in before doing my PT exercises to tell Char I looked at yesterday's Wash to see her photo.You are a wicked woman, Char! :evil: Must say it made me laugh out loud. :lol:

Here is what we had for dinner last night. Eggplants and peppers from the garden. It is a Turkish dish called Karniyarik, little eggplant boats stuffed with ground beef (or lamb), onions, tomatoes, and garlic. Baked with tomato juice around them til tender.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2013/9833-karniyarik.jpg

Funny story on the news this morning about our little city. Seems a man was coming home yesterday afternoon and saw a burglar leaving his house. So, instead of confronting the guy, he called the police and followed him telling the operator where they were going until the police arrived, to the surprise of the burglar, and arrested him.Another good reason to have a cell phone handy. :thumbsup:

Hmmm, Nancy, I'll have to check those Mac updates, I'm not sure if I have the latest version or not. I remember back a few years before I had the iMac I have now when those updates used to be free. ;)

Lulu, With Larry's career and moving every couple of years or so, nothing too much accumulated. However, we've been in this house for 13 years now and I can see things that should probably be purged. Just start with one room at a time and make your decisions and take action. Remember the advice about how to eat an elephant...a bite at a time. :angel:

Uschi and Char, My daughter Christine loves to do tie dye and is quite skilled at turning out lovely designs. She's been doing it for a number of years. She really would have loved to have been in San Francisco with the flower children, but she wasn't born until that period was over. ;)

Lynn, We figure if we are prepared for electrical emergencies...candles, matches, cell phone...we won't need them. That is why we bought a cell phone. When we had the BIG power outage a couple of years ago, we felt bad that one of our neighbor's had to lend us an extra cell phone to call the power company since we didn't have one. :rolleyes:

:wave: to all,

SYL,

Sylvia

Clara McArthur
08-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Good Morning all!

Sunny but cool here! the sun isn't up until after 6 now so the days are getting much shorter. Going out to pick some apples from a friend's tree, then hopefully finish caning the remaining peaches.

Uschi, the tie dyed T shirts are brilliant.

villagernb
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Good afternoon, Fellow Washers!

Hot and VERY WINDY here in our Village today; winds gusting up to 70 km per hour in the Tantramar Marsh area this afternoon. My chair on the bedroom end of the deck keeps sliding across the floor. I should bring it inside, but it's wide for the doorway, so I only bring it in if I really have to.

We had fun yesterday. We went to Silver Lake in Sackville for a swim. We used to take our dogs there often in the summer for a cooling dip, but have gone very seldom since Noddy passed away. We told each other yesterday that next summer we should go more often!

Uschi, love your cool Tshirts! I had a good laugh about the "shot-in-the-heart" one. Young lads of a certain age would especially enjoy that one!

Sylvia, your evening meal was a work of art! You do everything creatively!

Char, meant to tell you the other day that your granddaughters are beautiful and so are their tie-dyed shirts!

My hummingbirds are beginning to dwindle in number.:crying: We had 5 last week, but today there only appear to be 2. This late-summer heat wave is causing some of my flowering plants to go to seed, and that seems to be the signal for the hummingbirds to begin packing their bags, even though I'm still faithfully cleaning and filling the feeders. Oh well, Mother Nature has her own schedule!

Not sure what I'll do this afternoon--Don is taking his Cross bike out for a ride up the dirt road and around the Point. It's pretty unpleasant to walk--I might just stay home!:confused: :angel:

SYL

Anne

WthrLady
08-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Char - she's interested in everywhere! She just forgot to mention it. LOL. She has days she's happy just to remember to put her shirt on the right way 'round! LOL!

Clara- I hear you on the dark. I come from the land of sun, and when I got up at 5am, it was DARK. It was still dark at 6! I get sleepy without the sun. I'm going to have to migrate to Nancy's for the winter! I am so not looking forward to winter.

Sylvia - we saw grackles and chicadees migrating through yesterday, and our Canada geese are GONE! Seriously?! It's still August and they're bailing on us already?! We're doomed when we start to hear the cranes and snow geese going over in October.

BLTs for supper on campus for dinner, brown bagging it! LOL.

Found my old Swiss Family Crest this morning. Now I just wish I knew what the colours on it are. It's printed in black and white.

NancyR
08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Quick note. Surgery has been scheduled for September 12th. It is in the middle of the month, and things are slow at my desk. Aren't I a devoted employee. Really, I just do not want to come back to a mess!

Hello to everyone and hugs to those in need.

Yorky
08-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Best wishes for the surgery Nancy, I have my gastroscope the same day.

NOTE: Here is an important message from our dear friend Lyn (artmom). (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326894)

Doug

Brian Barnes
08-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Kevin --- I've had my iMac for over 5 years now. Best computer I've ever owned! :thumbsup: I used to own a PC and some of the original Macs.

No fan noise was the first great feature I noticed ... and appreciated! That meant also that there is no dust accumulating inside to cause overheating. (That's what eventually killed my PC apparently.)

I agree that putting Windows on the Mac is not a good idea. I tried it but rarely used it because it caused the computer to freeze sometimes. So I had it removed, freeing up about 60 gigs of HD that were reserved for it. At one point last year I thought the iMac was dying but that turned out to be my neglecting to install the free updates that are very frequent.

One absolutely essential app (which came with the computer) is TimeMachine. It regularly (as often as you want) keeps a complete backup of the whole computer on an external drive. I can go back to retrieve anything saved there up to a year ago. (Done that several times for things I changed my mind about deleting.) When the computer eventually dies I'll be able to download it's whole contents onto a new one from the external HD without any fuss and it will be identical.

If you want to do anything creative involving movie-making, artwork, photos, music, or music-making Mac is the way to go because the apps that come with the computer are designed to work seamlessly together.
They are iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand. PhotoShop Essentials is a painting/photo-touchup program that works well with these and sometimes goes on sale for as little as $69 Cn.

And finally ... anything you want to know about the iMac or the apps is available online either in forum discussions or YouTube demos. Hardcopy manuals are getting to be an unnecessary use of paper which can quickly become outdated. When you rely heavily on them you miss out on the latest news or ideas. ;)

Have fun with your new iMac. I won't wish you luck because none is needed.:D

BrianB

Lulu
08-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Nancy, best wishes from me too.

Re decluttering, Char, it's fun because I've had some wonderful finds! but also very freeing!
This article came into my inbox last night - very timely.
10 de-cluttering principles (10 decluttering principles)
So, if I don't love it, use it, or it belongs to someone else it's getting tossed. :thumbsup:

Thinking of Lyn, I shed some tears when I read her thread, how very brave she is.:heart:

Caryl, Kuku calling............can you please post that info about postcards again, I'd like to send one from NZ - if only to let the student know that we're not joined to Australia! :lol:

Sylvia, it's only breakfast time here, but I am drooling over your photo! Wow, that looks so delish!!

StewGold
08-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Please , please please mac users, get ANTI-Virus programmes for them. I help out in a computer shop 2~3 days a month, almost always reformatting iMacs and lately iPads after virus and malware attacks. Your newer macs have bog standard Intel chips, believe me they are much easier to attack, and they are being.

We've changed the solid state drives in 3 iPad 2's this month. It's a horrible job, you have to melt the d--m things apart, change the drive out, and it' not a plug and swap job and then reglue the blessed things.

Simple rules, 1. BACK IT ALL UP, regularly.
2. Use up to date anti-virus
3. ALWAYS scan files downloaded from the net.

and that's about it.

As an aside, the first "virus" I ever saw would have been late 1984, on an Apple in a university library. It got sent round the network via the remote printer software, an annoying little moose that popped up and complained if you weren't using the machine.

have fun, Leslie

CharM
08-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Good evening... it was supposed to storm here today, so we did make our way to Windsor to shop a little... the rain never came and the Costco bill wasn't cheap! :lol:

Nothing else exciting to report...

Lyn's bravery has me choking back the sadness...

Nancy, :crossfingers: that your surgery will be successful!

Our days are shortening quickly, it seems... fall is just around the corner, meaning winter isn't far behind... wow...

Caryl, I think that I still have your mailing address...

I'm wishing everyone a nice evening... :grouphug: