PDA

View Full Version : WIP: yet to be identified breed of hunting dog

Mettaphorica
08-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Hi all

this is WIP of a breed of hunting dog that I don't know what it is, if anyone knows. I did a search and suspect it's a Hungarian Vizsla, though someone might know for sure. The ref pic is by WolfKlass on deviant art, who kindly gave permission for me to paint this. It's pastel on velour. I've been working from a print of the picture, which is very much more orange colour than the dog appears here in the ref pic, which also looks here to be a bit blown out with highlights whereas the print is richer in colour, hence the red / orange tones in my dog. Though somehow this photo isn't quite right, it's showing a greater disparity in values than the painting live does. Oh well, back to Photoshop I guess. C&Cs welcome.

cheers
Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2013/979263-IMG_3314resized.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2013/979263-1ac5101f91edb961148c3728d8fdf5bc-d67dz7p.jpg

Sarah Rose
08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
I like the start you have going. I tried velour once and found it very difficult, for me at least. I was going to say maybe he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but they don't have as floppy of lips, do they?

Equus Art
08-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Based on nose color, I would say Vizla. Most Ridgebacks have black noses. You have a nice start so far. I love this dog's expression and the neck folds. You will do this one justice, I'm sure!

Cat

Mettaphorica
08-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Thank you to both of you. Yes, I think he is a Viszla, I know nothing about dogs, but gotta have some sort of title!
cheers
Donna

smudged-blue
08-23-2013, 06:15 AM
I've work over 10 years with many dog breeds in animal care and dog training. This breed is not a Rhodesian Ridgeback, it is a Hungarian Vizsla, they are a very beautiful natured dog.

Edit to say- Sorry I forgot to say, nice start, will keep an eye out for updates on this one.

Mettaphorica
08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Hi all
well, Vizsla it is, then. I knew it was some sort of hunting dog so I wound up on all manner of dog sites looking for what seemed similar. It came down to Vizsla or Pointer but I was leaning toward the former, but just wanted confirmation. Here's an update of progress. I really need to push darks in the nose. The lower harness has only just started so it looks a bit bright on the edges and patchy, the other parts of the harness and the part of collar are finished.
Err, in case you were wondering, the painting is the dog, not the abstract strokes around it, LOL.

cheers,
Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2013/979263-IMG_3328_stage_3.resized.jpg

gecko99
08-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Yep definitely a Vizsla :) The eyes and the expression are divine and great work on the harness so far!

Nicole

smudged-blue
08-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Coming along great, look forward to seeing more. Are you using pastel sticks or pencils? which brand?

MarvelousSauce
08-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Agree with everyone else on the Viszla ID... and great work so far! The top part of the harness looks especially nice.

Ruthie57
08-27-2013, 03:21 PM
I think this is REALLY good! I like the look in his eyes!

pointy
08-27-2013, 06:15 PM
His eyes are beautiful, great job:clap:

Mettaphorica
08-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragement. I too am pleased with the way the top harness has turned out.

SmudgedBlue, I used stick pastels with some pastel pencils. Variety of brands, mostly Nu-pastel Rembrandts, Art Spectrum and Girault, but there's also some Senns and Mungyo handrolled Gallery (like Unisons). I think Girault are my favorites - at least for working on velour. The pastel pencils are Carbothellos, Conte and Caran D'ache pencils.
not sure if this tells you anything other than that I have trouble choosing! :)
thanks again
cheers
Donna

JustinM
08-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Im going to go against the grain here (sorry) as you've asked for C & C.

The top harness is painted beautifully - there's no doubt about that - but right now it is the overwhelming focal point of this painting! In fact, because of the vibrancy of the colours, even the less finished bottom harness is drawing my eye away from this beautiful dog's face.

I understand that the dog itself is not finished but I would (personally) try to grey down those harnesses. The reference photo is throwing you off but if you want to bring the focus back to the dog's face, you're not going to be able to do it while that harness is that vibrant.

Just my 2 and as I said - absolutely no criticism of the technical abilities in the painting so far, your work is lovely.

Mettaphorica
09-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Hi Justin

No apologies needed! I am glad you are open enough to comment. I do take your point and can see what you mean. The bottom harness in particular is still very bright as I have not greyed it down yet and I agree, the eye is drawn to it. Perhaps I should've progressed further with it before posting. I am curious as to what you mean when you say the ref photo is, 'throwing you off', (as in, throwing me off) something about the values/colour of the harnesses? Or the dog him or herself? I do appreciate your observations.
thanks
cheers
Donna

Grinner
09-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Beautiful work! Wow. This is really nice. I just love those eyes, and the expression in the brow :)

Justin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect he may have simply meant the photo could be "throwing you off" in terms of the expectation that you need to stay true to it.

If that is, indeed, what he meant, IMHO, I would have to agree that artistic license would be well warranted here, and I would go even further than greying down the blue. That cool blue will likely stand out as a focal point anyway since the dog and grass are so fabulously warm and yellow. Unless someone needs that to be blue, you as the artist can actually make the harness any color you want, right? So, what color do you think would harmonize best and not stand out too much? Just an idea! Either way, I am excited to see the finished product.

P.S. Editing to add that the rendering on the harness itself is wonderful!

Mettaphorica
09-02-2013, 03:49 AM
Hi Grinner
Thank you for your encouragement and observations. You are correct - there is no reason to stick to the photo, as it's not a comission. I could go for a real grey-blue, grey it down a lot. Or a very deep red, though I suppose there's a lot of warm in the picture already, perhaps something cool for the collar/harness? I'm not so good at this...the only other colour I think of that the eye would probably ignore would be brown. My thinking goes, brown collars are ubiquitous - we've all seen them on dogs, they're everywhere, so simply by virtue of the fact that our eyes 'know' brown collars - they are more ignorable because they are boring to the human eye. If the brain prefers to ignore one object means another object - the face -would become the focal point. At least that's how I'm thinking about it.
That said, I liked the blue- but that's just because I do so much fur and that is always in the browns/greys and ochres and blacks that I enjoyed I think playing with a different colour for once! Thanks again for your observations and help
cheers
Donna

Mettaphorica
09-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Here is an update. I have toned down the collar a bit, although when I checked my print out photo, both dog and collar are much more vivid than the ref posted here, which is why I made the collar so blue in the first place.(hence the comments). I am now into the home stretch. I need to clean up the right side (your right) of the dog where a hint of leash is around his back, and that murky green background there, and finish the harness around chest area, go back over some of the fur (the green background pastel fell on him and he has a green tinge all over him which has dulled him) and then, when you all say, "ok", I'll put in whiskers! Comments welcome.
thanks
cheers
Donna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2013/979263-_MG_3420resized.jpg

NRC
09-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Yes!! Much prefer the greyed collar; get to stare into his beautiful eyes. Wonderful work.

pugwash
09-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Your painting is coming along really well. The expression of the dog is wonderful.
Personally, I would darken the background considerably- make the head really stand out.

Mettaphorica
09-14-2013, 01:29 AM
Thanks, Nell, thanks Clive.
Clive, what sort of green? When you say 'darken'? Sorry if I sound a bit like a kindergartener.
thanks
cheers
Donna

pugwash
09-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I've done this very roughly just to give you an idea. Just a much darker green, but see how the background becomes insignificant? All the attention shifts to the dog's head. Just a suggestion.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2013/1112482-vizla2.jpg

Mettaphorica
09-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Well, I like it Clive, really like it. You're right, the dog's head does stand out more. Your dog portraits are always so gorgeous, and you've a lot more experience than I...I'll go with that. Thanks so much for putting in that effort!
cheers
Donna

Mettaphorica
09-15-2013, 05:38 AM
Hi Clive
Just thinking, what about the tiny little triangle of green between his left ear and left cheek (our left), and left ear and jowl? (there's a tiny, tiny hint of grassy background, there, too). I'm wondering if I use the dark colour that to use them in those two spots, that the dark will make the ear look joined to the cheek and jowl, if you see what I mean, that is, the dark would not give enough contrast as the light green that's there now does. What do you suggest, leave it that light yellow green? It's a tiny spot, but it does dilineate those parts of the dog's head. Or, not an issue?
thanks again
cheers
Donna

irmaleo
09-16-2013, 05:22 AM
stunning! love it!!

water girl
09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
You are almost finished :clap: and it is wonderful. The graying of the collar works well and the darker background will work well.

Mettaphorica
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Thank you for your positive comments and help.

Here it is, almost finished. Just need to tidy up the background a bit more.

The only issue I think it might have is the 'cut out' look because of the background being put in last. Do you think so? I have to be very, very careful as the green gets onto the dog and won't brush off without digging in.

I think Clive's suggestion was good.
Thanks for the suggestion, Clive. In real life, because it is on velour, the dark green makes it look like a rich velvet. He's also a bit more vibrant in real life and in PS than once I've loaded him here.
What do you guys think? Anything else to do?And what colour and where to do the sig? :)
thanks
cheers
Donna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2013/979263-_MG_3445resized_edited.jpg

Sunione
09-22-2013, 10:37 AM
You've nailed it! Great job.

pugwash
09-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Hi Donna. Sorry, I've been away. Your painting is looking great.
To avoid the "cutout" look you need to just paint a few hairs onto the background as you have done on his neck. You will need to rub off any green that gets on the pastel with a rag so it doesn't transfer to the dog. It's a bit tedious but you only need to do an little here and there to break up the outline. Signatures are a very personal thing but bottom corners are favourites.
Overall, a beautiful portrait. Well done.

aolaranora
09-25-2013, 04:34 PM
It is indeed a Vizsla and very good painting of such too!

Mettaphorica
09-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Thank you Sunione and Aolananora!
Thank you, Clive, I'll do that. Thanks for your support! I really do like the dark green suggestion you made - it really does draw attention to the woofer's face rather than the collar. I love your dog portraits, too.

And, I'm happy the concensus was 'Viszla', it would've been difficult if people couldn't agree on the dog breed- then I'd be title-less, LOL.
cheers
Donna

gecko99
09-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Great finish on this one! The darker background works a treat!

Nicole

Mettaphorica
09-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Nicole. I really like your work, too.
cheers
Donna