PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Wednesday 21st August 2013 ***

Yorky
08-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Good morning all, things look stable so far :crossfingers:

A dull start to the day, I have a Probus lunch later.

Looking very autumnal out there, a few roses, is all that there is.

Doug

doppler
08-21-2013, 03:44 AM
Hi Doug and all to follow.

Here is the stage of Terra we were at when the site (WC) melted. Our contractor would have had a meltdown in his own 1.4 metre post holes had this site melted.

It has been planted out a bit on the great wall since. AKA I dug a really big hole and Roger approved so the pudding tree is in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2013/141006-g21.jpg
Then the pride of the mountain. Dendrobium speciosum ... king orchid, rock orchid whatever ... harbinger of spring in the late winter light.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2013/141006-orchidking.jpg
Roger had a birthday today which he chided me about for remembering after he had reminded me. :rolleyes: Numbers mean nothing, spirit means everything.

Kay, your comment reminded me of jaffas. Orange candy coated chocolate balls which as a kid you would roll down the aisles of a picture theatre. Fun. Freud is right, even down to our gardening :lol:

Lulu
08-21-2013, 03:46 AM
A dull start to the day,

Well here I am to brighten it for you Doug!:D
66 years ago I brightened up two other people's lives too!;)

Edit: Annie, Roger too?? Am in good company then!:thumbsup:
Usain Bolt and Kenny Rogers too!:D
LOVE the garden pics!

Good to see things back to normal again:crossfingers: I do hope Uschi didn't woohoo too much! lol

Bit cooler here today, after a very mild end of winter we've dropped a few degrees today.

Yorky
08-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Happy Birthday Lulu and Roger :music: :music:

Your garden is going great Annie.

Doug

doppler
08-21-2013, 04:06 AM
Roger is in the BEST of company Lulu.

Happy birthday to you :heart:

Not sure about Usain Bolt, unless he can roll rocks like a dung beetle like my good man can. Kenny Rogers :thumbsup: Dolly Parton. Islands in the stream ... SO good.

It's gone to shivery freezing now. So :wave: and advise thee get out the warm woollies when this weather lot traverses the Tasman ditch and hits the shaky isles on its inexorable path east.

Bbl

Lulu
08-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Thankyou Annie and Doug.
I dare say I have a fair few years on Roger, Annie....
Have just finished a wonderful Skype with the family, the temperature has dropped there too, down to 43C today..........lol
We told them we were moving, they told us they're glad they don't have to help us pack.....brats lol

Have had a wonderful day, played lots of Lulu songs! and now it's time for bed. Better get off and get my beauty sleep before it's too late! lol

Nite :wave:

ps Annie, one person I have absolutely nothing in common with is Dolly Parton! :lol: :angel: :D :cat: :wink2:

Ellen in Ont
08-21-2013, 06:00 AM
:wave: everyone,
A quick hello from me as I am day shift today and tomorrow.

Happy birthday Lulu and Roger. It was my youngest son's birthday yesterday.

I noticed I'm not getting email notifications but from WetCanvas but not a big deal as long as we can get in here.

I'll take some pics of the scarves on my next day off. Just have to figure out how to get a photo of them. Probably just my favourites.

Gotta run and have a bite of breakfast before I have to leave. Have a great day everyone.

Yorky
08-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Hi Ellen, check out your subscriptions. I haven't had that report recently.

Doug

Ellen in Ont
08-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Doug - it's working again. Yesterday it didn't but there were a couple of glitches I ran into yesterday that now appear to have been fixed.

ReggieS
08-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Happy Hump Day all! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LULU and ROGER!!!

Reggie

Uschi
08-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

Bright sunshine, temps going up to around 30C plus humidity.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LULU AND ROGER!!!!

Plans for today - table tennis in the morning, sitting under the arbor in the afternoon and a bit of deadheading in the early evening, easy peasy:lol:

Will check in later. :wave:

Uschi

Scene Chaser
08-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Good Day All,
A beautiful and sunny morning at 67 F.

Happy Birthday Lulu.
I'll be packing, too, in a couple of years when we move. It won't be pretty watching us decide what to take with us and what to dump.

Happy Birthday Roger

Doug, enjoy your Probus lunch.

Hi Reggie.

We will sign over the old car today at the Secretary of State (license center in the States) and then do some shopping.

Hi Uschi. We xposted

Bill

painterbear
08-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just past 8:30 a.m. on a bright, sunny, warmish day here in Oakwood. Have to go out and water the garden when I finish my morning PT exercises. Picked our very first vine-ripened tomato yesterday and there are three more turning a nice deep tone of red!Also harvested four Japanese-type eggplants which we'll have stuffed with ground beef Turkish style called Karniyarik tonight. :DLooks like the water trough for the squirrels is helping keep them out of the garden so far.

Hey, hey, hey, three Washer birthdays to celebrate today!

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Lulu!!! Annie's Roger!!! and Ellen's Youngest Son!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2013/9833-Birthdaycake.jpg

Lulu, Have you already found a new home to move into???? Last I remember you talking about it you were just thinking of moving, and now you are doing it! Wow, dust doesn't grow under your feet, does it. :angel:

Annie, That really is a MAJOR building project IMHO! Looking forward to seeing the photos of it all planted out. Gorgeous orchids too.

Tempus fugit and I am making major typing errors this morning.

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

olliewood0702
08-21-2013, 08:43 AM
HAPPY HUMP DAY WASHERS!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LULU!! I hope it was a wonderful day for you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ROGER TOO! Thanks for the pics Annie; looking good.

I cleaned and froze 4 bag of green beans last night. More are coming. We are also canning peaches sometime later this week or weekend. The tomatoes are coming nicely now...and delicious!:smug: We'll can stewed and salsa.

Caryl, whew....you exhaust me. I have to do it after I get home from work so the nights are so short.:rolleyes:

Doug, yes things seem to be working good.:crossfingers: Let's hope it continues to.

Char, what fun you've had with your granddaughters. They'll remember this summer for years and years. You're such a fun Grandma.:thumbsup:

Happy belated Birthday to your son, Ellen. I'm glad you are enjoying dyeing the scarfs. I bet they are lovely and I'm sure they'll sell at your craft show.

Bill, you sound like you've been super busy.

Hap, you go guy! That workshop sounds wonderful!

Sylvia, poor Larry not being able to run. I'm hoping he'll be able to get back to running soon as that seems to make him happy.:crossfingers:

Thinking of Henry's (((LESLEY))) and our own (((LYN))):heart:

Waving to all who've been to the wash and AWAYTC.(all who are yet to come)

G'DAY:wave: :grouphug:

LynnM
08-21-2013, 08:48 AM
:wave: Sunny and hot here, and I have to walk down to the village, maybe I'll take the bus :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LULU AND ROGER!

Had to laugh, Lulu, I have nothing in common with Dolly either :lol:

Garden is looking super, Annie, what a pleasure it will be to work in it now! Lovely orchid too!!! We have a tiny green one here that this reminds me of, it pops up wild, but nothing that spectacular.

I'm glad your tummy is feeling a bit better, Doug, good luck with the results of the probe.

I envy you your tomato, Sylvia, maybe the squirrels were just thirsty.

Greetings to everyone else and all to come, have a rewarding day!
:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Doris345
08-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Good morning washers,

H.B. to Lulu and Roger

Hello to all = Ellen, Reggie, Bill, Sylvia, Darla, Lynn, and everyone else..
Annie, Great Wall is lookin' good.
Doug, enjoy your lunch

Uschi and Char, I did not want to start taking any meds on a 'permanent' or long-term basis, and luckily for me Celebrex works wonderfully, and quickly, on an "As Needed" basis. Unluckily, the only problem is that I am seriously, severely ALLERGIC to it.

Acupuncture offers some limited relief (back problem) but it is not covered by my medical insurance so I cannot go more often than once a month or so. I am thinking about trying a chiropractor, I have never been to one, but I hate backrubs so I am not sure I will be able to stand it.

I canned some salsa over the weekend, and I am planning on peaches this weekend if my friend is feeling well enough for us to go back to the orchards. I tool a photo of the salsa jars, I will post them later.

BBL
Doris

CharM
08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Good Morning! We have magnificent sunshine warming our little corner of the world... You all know that swimming will be on the agenda... :)

Actually, we're meeting one of the families from across the lake who have girls the same ages as my Grands... the beach will be our meeting place, which is great because it eliminates that stress of first get-togethers...

I have a loaf of bread rising... my gosh we go through a lot of bread with the Girls here! And I have to get a batch of tomatoes canned this morning.

I'd forgotten how busy it is having youngsters around the house and I haven't touched my brushes in several days. I like to congratulate myself on my organizational skills and that's flown right out the window! :lol: Of course, having my youngest move back home didn't help...

Happy Birthday to Lulu, Annie's Roger and Ellen's Son! Lots of Leos...

Doug, there are still issues with posting. When I click Submit Reply, I get a "Problem with the Database" message. I click on my Back Arrow and then re-submit (using Chrome). It accepts my post the second time around. However, I think that Sylvia is losing her comments (using Firefox). Sarah is aware of this...

Annie, the terrace is looking SO good!

Lulu, so you've absolutely made the decision to move??? I sure don't envy the job of sorting and packing! And you DO have something in common with Dolly... after all, we're all Sisters Under The Skin... :)

Ellen, did your Son manage to get his funding for his film? Hang your scarves from the clothes line and photograph them in the breeze... my imagination is running wild with this one!

Hi Reggie!

Uschi, it sounds like a nice day... did you snap photos of your t-shirts?

Bill, I can sure empathize with you about packing up for the next move... why, oh why do we cling to so much *stuff*??? Did you buy a new car?

Sylvia, I've been telling you that our well fed squirrels don't bother the garden... hehehe... enjoy the fruits of your garden sans bite marks! I missed why Larry can't be out running...

Darla, I've been doing "small batch" canning for several years and love it... I don't have to stand for hours, the cleanup seems to be easier and over time, the accumulation of jars really adds up.

Hi Lynn... remember to stay hydrated...

Hi Doris... I'll be canning my salsa in a couple of weeks. My husband absolutely hates cilantro, so I have to use Italian parsley... but it's still good. It's too bad you can't get your acupuncture on a regular basis.

Well... the tomatoes are calling my name... along with two little girls who seem to always need something... :lol: I hope that everyone has the best possible day... my thoughts are with ((Lesley)) and ((Lyn))...

Scene Chaser
08-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Darla, I read where someone had frozen green beans without first blanching them. You might lose some nutrients but it is insignificant. I'm trying it that way this year. Sooo much easier.

Sylvia, I picked a tomato yesterday, too. I have been stir frying zucchini and green beans for a couple of weeks. Still not tired of them. I'll be making zucchini bread soon. Spaghetti squash is almost ready, too.

Doris, I've never had luck with Chiropractors. They're always trying to sell me pillows and foot supports.

Char, I bought a new car over two years ago, but the old Honda has been sitting for a long time. It had to go.
I'd love to live on a lake. I should have done that when I had an opportunity to buy my uncle's house on a lake. :(

Must get ready to go.
Bill

Larkfour
08-21-2013, 10:33 AM
http://youtu.be/E7PQbfnErEw

Wanted to share this video with you: Noctilucent Clouds and Aurora over Scotland, beautiful colors in a time lapse sky! Hope you enjoy.
If my link did not work the video can be seen at Astronomy Picture of the Day:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130819.html
Nancy

Yorky
08-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Fascinating video Nancy. Never seen the aurora.

Doug

villagernb
08-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Good morning!

Checking in before an exciting trip to Sackville!

Happy Birthday, Lulu and Roger!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Annie, great garden photos!::thumbsup:

Bill, when we moved here 14 years ago, we got rid of lots of "stuff", including all of my daycare equipment that included three highchairs. I recommend starting any time, that way when it becomes "tense" you can walk away from the piles of nostalgia for a time!:D

SYL

Anne

shipbroker
08-21-2013, 11:05 AM
See Im not misssed!!

Happy Birthday both Lulu & Roger.

Now in Reydon behind Southwold I hear that Eileens nephews and kids have been sea swimming today. ..... North Sea is only just above Alaska temps from my childhood memory!

geoff

olliewood0702
08-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Bill, I've always blanched my beans first but should give it a try like you. ;) Yum...all this fresh produce hey? It's always been my dream to live on the water somewhere...alas it'll probably never happen. :(

Nancy, that video is lovely. THe Aurora that is viewable in Northern Michigan glows a florescent green color that is so beautiful. I'm one of the lucky ones who've seen it firsthand.:smug:

Char, I've been doing that for a couple of years now too and it is much easier; not as much standing in one spot for too long. ;)

We have auditors here at work this week; then we'll find out in a couple of weeks whether or not we will be getting a profit sharing check. I'm :crossfingers: that we will. We also have people here today from Google; we are affiliated with them.

We've not done anything yet to our basement; :rolleyes: still counting things lost and pricing flooring and such for replacement. It always goes so slowly. I'm hoping it'll be done for Christmas.:crossfingers:

Geoff, you are too missed; we knew you were busy vacationing.:D I'm so glad I can say I've visited the North Sea and Scotland and England. What memories and sights.

Back to data entry....and my yogurt and coffee.:wave:

Clara McArthur
08-21-2013, 01:27 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Happy Birthdays to Lulu, Roger, and Ellen's son

It is good to be back online. Yesterday our internet was down all day, not just ours, but the whole town and other parts of the region. I haven't heard what caused it.

Annie - your terrace or "great wall" is really looking good! What a major project it is.

It feels like autumn this morning, I've finished picking beans and peas and have pulled out the plants. I picked some of the larger tomatoes which will ripen indoors. the cherry and grape tomatoes are turning ripe on the vine and are delicious.

I canned peaches yesterday, 7 quarts, and made 6 cups of strawberry jam. When I bought the peaches at the fruit truck, the strawberries were offered to me at half price because they were over ripe. I made the jam immediately! What a busy day it was! When the remaining peaches ripen, I will can another 7 quarts and that will be all for this year.

Hello to everyone.

WthrLady
08-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Afternoon all :) Especially all the birthday babies !

The Boy is sitting here tackling his first day of HIGH SCHOOL! Starting this year it is all computer based with live classes, and NO parent teaching or grading. I'm just here to make sure he gets his work done on time, like any parent. :D PLUS take him on extra fun trips and such.

I start up the annual photography gig tomorrow. YAY.

I realized I haven't touched my paints, except for my attempt at Dougs last challenge, at ALL ! bad me.

OH, and all this canning and standing. Bursitis acting up behind my left knee, which make standing up and that first step magical.

OK, as soon as boy is done we are heading to a local candy shop and soda store :D

New Gamboge
08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Good morning everyone - we're back to having nice weather. Fortunately it was sunny and cloudy on Friday when we watched the RCMP musical ride. For those of you (Pat:wink2:!) interested, the local paper has some photos:

http://www.cowichanvalleycitizen.com/rcmp-musical-ride-2013-1.595239

Our local fair is on this Saturday - I'll spend a couple of hours in the Historical Society's booth -after looking at all the exhibits.

Betty :cat:

NancyR
08-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Quick post to say Happy Wednesday and Happy Birthday to Lulu and Roger. Annie, love the new garden terrace. Just looking at it makes my back hurt.

Verdict is in, surgery to remove the bone fragment that is pressing on my sciatic nerve. Nothing will be done to the disc itself since he is a neurologist. Hard to understand because he is from Puerto Rico and has a thick accent. However, he and I both have severe GERD. You can say we bonded over talking about that. I do not know the date as yet, because it has to be scheduled at the hospital.

Everyone have a great day.

Yorky
08-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Great diagnosis Nancy, hope it goes well. I have sciatica at the moment.

Doug

LynnM
08-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Loved the video, Nancy, how spectacular!

And nice slide show of the Musical Ride, Betty. One of my favourite events.

I got that message too, Char, but it seems it posted anyway, as when I tried to repost, it said it was a duplicate message! only one was there, so I assume it was the original.

My sympathy to those with back problems, I know what that feels like! Great that you will have some action taken Nancy, good luck with it.

All you industrious canning people....you have my admiration! It's wonderful to see all those jars full of good food.

:crossfingers: for your check Darla, I had some luck today too. My optometrist has had a photo of mine for some time, from a now defunct art rental, and offered to pay me for it!

:eek: just the thought of moving, Bill and Lulu, makes me feel weak! But it is a wonderful catharsis to get all that 'stuff' to the right destination, whatever it is. Hope it goes smoothly for you both.

Time to attack the kitchen, BBL

WthrLady
08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I prefer small batch (one canner load) canning too, but when you have two lugs of peaches ripening FAST, you have to do what you have to do ! LOL. Besides, my kitchen overlooks my office, my family room, and my deck to the golf course, so it's not like I'm alone or standing in a hole to work :D

Now that my knee is bugging me, I must be walking wrong because my back is getting into the game. OK, REALLY?

kaypainter
08-21-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2013/130068-graphics-happy-birthday-168951.gif

Happy Birthday to Lulu and Roger and Ellen's son!!!!

:wave: :wave:

Kay

happhoto
08-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Hello everyone!

Weather is gorgeous here, mid 70’s *F and enough of a slight breeze that it’s even comfortable in my studio. Reorganizing my little “cart” so it’s ready in case I do manage to go to Nita’s workshop.

It’s not so sure about going now. Last night Anne found another lump in her left breast. (This is the same one that had the cancer last time) and we are both a bit worried about what it might mean. We have an appointment with Anne’s oncologist on Thursday and hopefully we will get some good news . In the meantime we both are feeling rather “fragile” and hoping we don’t have to go through the whole process again. She can not have radiation again in that breast anyway…but even though we are both looking on the bright side and hoping it’s nothing…there is still that knowledge that we’ve heard this and been “here” before. Needless to say, I’m not making any plans till I know the full situation. If worst news comes, we really need to do some sitting and thinking about how we’ll handle it this time. Anne no longer has any sick leave, she’s used it all up last time, and if she can’t work she’s afraid she’ll lose her health insurance which would spell financial destruction for us. Which is making her say that if it is bad news she’ll opt for a mastectomy rather than go through treatment again. So send some white light and some good wishes our way if you can.
hap

LynnM
08-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Oh, Hap, I am sorry to hear that! :grouphug: :heart: :grouphug: :crossfingers: that it is benign.

Uschi
08-21-2013, 08:06 PM
I too am soooooo sorry to hear that Hap, sending :crossfingers: :crossfingers: and :grouphug:

Uschi

WthrLady
08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
You got it!

painterbear
08-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Hap and Annie,

A spotlight of white light and healing vibes is beaming your way. I hope the doctors find it is nothing to be concerned about and is a benign lump. :crossfingers:

:grouphug: for both of you.

Sylvia

NancyR
08-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Hap, Sending double white light to you and Annie. :grouphug: :grouphug: May it be something minor.

Nancy R

CharM
08-21-2013, 09:03 PM
(((Hap and Anne))) :crossfingers: that your path will be the easy one...

Caryl, I used to do my canning and freezing in single sessions... My Father was a farmer and when our crops were harvested, it was time to do whatever had to be done...

This is for Sylvia... *smirk*

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2013/20514-Squirrel.jpg

The Grands and I spent the whole afternoon at the beach and I managed to get a little too much sun... is that even possible this summer? :) Their play date was a complete success and we have another planned for Friday afternoon.

Have a peaceful night, everyone... :heart:

Lulu
08-21-2013, 09:37 PM
:heart::grouphug:Hap & Annie:grouphug::heart:

Thank you for all the birthday wishes, you all helped make the day special.

I feel excited about the (as yet unknown) future, making the decision to move is just the beginning. Next comes all the preparation, the market, the looking etc etc. We always knew we would do it 'one day' and now that one day has come and we just know it's right.
It might have sounded like a quick decision, but no, the thought has been simmering for a while, I just don't share much ... :)
So, time will tell. If I get to be MIA you will know that my head is down, tail up..:D

FLNH
08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
((((()Hap & Annie))))))

Happy Birthday Lulu, Roger, & Ellen's son.

villagernb
08-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Hap and Anne, sending prayers, white light and all good thoughts your way for good news and the best outcome.

(The other) Anne

Yorky
08-22-2013, 01:17 AM
:grouphug: Hap and Anne :grouphug:I hope the news is good and the decision is easy.

Doug

olliewood0702
08-22-2013, 09:30 AM
:heart: :heart: (((HAP & ANNE))):heart: :heart: Praying for good results.

Char,:lol: :lol: I've seen that particular Superman under our feeders.:D