PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Tuesday 20th August 2013 ***

Yorky
08-20-2013, 02:22 AM
Good morning all, missed you! :heart:

Hopefully the site is functioning again, although some threads seem to be missing :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Surprising how wonky things can go when there is a bug in the database.

Dull outside, expecting showers later.

Doug

doppler
08-20-2013, 03:06 AM
Good evening Doug.

I'll just say I've MISSED MISSED MISSED all of you. :heart: So glad we are back to our normal :thumbsup:

Not much to report. I posted the exploding mattress thing before, and the terror it brought to Bo. Being humans with technological studies, we just stood back and screamed.

Terra Cognito down the Steppes and terminating at the Great Wall is finished and we have begun to plant. It is a joy!

Chocolate pudding tree is in. Valencia orange shall be in once Rog and I "decided" on a place. Read vigorous discussion. He won.:thumbsup: Native wild currant bush shall be next.

Then the planning of long stay veges, under netting. Spaghetti squash, watermelons, pumpkins ... At least for the first year.

Caryl, I wouldn't process that many fresh peaches anyway. Read woman lying on back bloated after scoffing SO many :lol: Took note of your school thingy.:music:

Shall post photos tomorrow of completed earthworks and the pride of the Mountain. Shall even take a shot of a painting I actually did. That is no pride but a call to arms for my muse.

:wave: :wave:

Yorky
08-20-2013, 03:12 AM
Hi Annie, look forward to seeing your photos.

Things are not absolutely OK, some things don't work as you expect. Hopefully things will settle down :crossfingers:

Doug

doppler
08-20-2013, 03:17 AM
Its a spit into the wind Doug :crossfingers: Duck down when have to :heart:

We had IT people at work yesterday and today. I remember the zippy people from Dr Who. I walked into the lunch (less) room to get a glass of water at lunch(less) lunch time and saw the bevy of empty plates of food and the aliens and they beckoned me in. NO, it's OK. Hand up Stop. I do do sci fi :thumbsup: Abruptly, I left and went back to my office from which I returned to a place of trees, quiet and birds who very superficially disturb the quiet, but are part of it. Nothing IT about it.

:clear:

Yorky
08-20-2013, 04:17 AM
I would love to hear the sounds of your forest chorus Annie.

Doug

shipbroker
08-20-2013, 04:30 AM
Morning all.......

Not posting anything picturewise from last holiday until we return from this one starting today.....back home,all beiong well, end September but expect to be able to iPod in everyday.........

geoff

Roun2it
08-20-2013, 05:12 AM
Mornin' each ....... :wave:

Nice to see most things back ......... What is normal anyway ...... I'm far off normal :lol:

I'm on a strict regime of To Do Lists at the moment and this hasn't appeared on one of them so ................. gotta go and get some long forgotten task completed ......

BBL .......... I'll add it to the list ........ :)

Ellen in Ont
08-20-2013, 06:53 AM
:wave: everyone,
I am hoping it is safe to pop in again. Nice to see the faces of friends every morning and catch up on their lives.

I have been busy working on my newest interest, hand dyeing and painting silk scarves. I am having great fun and have 39 completed with another 4 dozen ordered.:D I should have a nice assortment for the Christmas sales.

It has been cool, grey, and wet so far this summer but today it is supposed to reach 31 with rain. :rolleyes:

I'll keep this short so I don't tempt the chaos gods to make it disappear or move it. So nice to be back!

FLNH
08-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Good morning. So nice to be back. Beautiful morning in NH. After a slow season, we are now starting with company, which is fine except I can't paint with people around.

I hope our hurting friends have weathered the WC meltdown.

Uschi
08-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!! I missed you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautifully sunny day, going up to 27C plus humidity.

Came to realize that it hadn't rained in a long time so decided to water the garden. Am actually surprised how well everything is growing without the watering. I have an absolute abundance of phlox and it is looking and smelling wonderful.

I have had a heck of a time with my upper back/shoulders/neck, the whole area was stiff as a board and throbbing with pain, could not move my neck. After days of Aleve, painful stretching and massage it is like WetCanvas, precariously teetering along. More exercises, strengthening and stretching, to add to my daily routine:rolleyes: This getting older.........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That reminds me, how is your tummy Doug?????

I'll water the front yard this morning and then off for my bimonthly lunch with
my friend. The only painting I have done is the tie dye with the grandkids. Will take pictures and show results.

One of you mentioned the book "Year of Wonder" by Geraldine Brooks about the plague - good book!!!

Caryl, your peachers - YUMYUMYUMYUM!!!!!

Breakfast, BBL :wave: Uschi

Strawberry Wine
08-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Good Morning Washers !

Another beautiful day in the making. Yesterday was 26 C with no humidity and the rest of the week should be the same. I think this is going to be the best week of a very cool summer. We should be away camping.

Sylvia, our tomatoes are just starting to turn as well. Good idea about the water station.... The squirrels do drink out of the pond so perhaps that is one of the reasons we don't have veggie stealing issues.

Caryl, where I grew up in Toronto, my aunt next door had a peach tree and my girlfriends and I would sneak up the drive to snag one or two every day.

Uschi, looking forward to seeing your's and Char's tie dye shirts. No humidity HERE ! :D

Ellen, I would love to see a photo of your hand painted scarves.

I hear Dan and Pearl stirring so I will :wave: to all. Glad to be back in the Wash.

Cheers,

Gail

LynnM
08-20-2013, 08:22 AM
:wave: Lovely sun here, but getting warmer and humid....still, have had some super moderate days too, can't complain!

So great to see us all filing in to take our places in the Wash....:clap:

I hope to have a little travelogue to post soon, when we know the site is really stable. And I'm finishing up some sketches begun on the trip, not as many as I would have liked, but did lots of sight-seeing and photos.

Ellen, you never do things by halves, do you!! Would love to see a picture of your silk scarves :)

That's quite a trip, Geoff, where to this time?

Hi Doug, Annie, Kev, Karl, and all to come, hope you have a good day!

:grouphug: :heart: :grouphug:

Hi Uschi and Gail, cross post. I got some big markers for writing on t-shirts to give the grandkids, would love to see your tie-dye results, Uschi.

When I tried to post it told me it hadn't worked, but when I clicked the back button I could post again, then it told me I had double posted!!! But there was only one there......it will take a few days to get the gremlins out, if ever:rolleyes:

olliewood0702
08-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Happy Tuesday and it's so NICE to see all you washer folks in this mornings wash. I've MISSED you all.:wave:

It's been a long time and hopefully the site is stable now.:crossfingers:

We've got no major happenings; just life going on.

Larry worked this past weekend and Jen and I travelled north with Kelsea and Klaira for my sisters surprise 60th Birthday party. We had a nice time and the weather cooperated nicely.:thumbsup:

We have been picking tomatoes, the heirloom variety. They are just delicious. THey are starting to ripen and it won't be long and I'll be canning them. We still haven't gotten any peaches; don't know if we will now. Corn is becoming available and we'll get some to freeze.

We need some rain but aren't expecting any until Thursday morning. I just hope it doesn't rain for the weekend because it's Larry's weekend off and we have stuff planned.

I hope your day is marvelous and that you get to accomplish everything you set out to do.

G'DAY!:wave: :heart:

painterbear
08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Goooood Morning all,
It is just about 9:00 a.m. here in sunny and getting warmer Oakwood. Temps in the mid-80Fs today so we'll close up the windows shortly and keep the cool morning air indoors.

Larry is out walking...he's had to stop running for a while because of a problem in one of his calves. Not sure what it is yet, but he has a doctor's appointment tomorrow to see if they can pin it down. In the meantime, walking doesn't exacerbate it, so he is doing that. Not running is breaking his :heart:.

I finished my PT sessions at the hospital and now it is up to me to keep doing the exercises 2X/day if I want to keep my knee working. I second Uschi's " This getting older.........:rolleyes:"

Ellen, Do take some photos to show us your beautiful (I have no doubt they are) scarves. Sounds like they will be a good thing to have for sale around Christmas shopping season.

Darla, I can see at least three tomatoes turning at last and one ready to pick.
I just cooked up a batch of cherry and two Celebrity tomatoes that our neighbor gave us. I'll used the pureed tomatoes to make a marinara sauce for a spaghetti dinner tonight.

Did I say how really nice it is to see all of you here this morning and last night too!!!! :grouphug:

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way. Gotta go do my first set of exercises now. We're going to the grocery store when Larry gets back.

SYL,

Sylvia

Scene Chaser
08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Good Day All and good to see everyone again.

We have had beautiful weather and more to come.

All the trees have been cut down and the wood taken away, except for a cord or two we will keep for emergencies.

I even sold an old car I had sitting in my yard too long.

I've been doing clean up as the yard is a mess with tractor tracks, branches and twigs.

Uschi, I feel you pain. Careful with the drugs as tylenol and ibuprofin can cause kidney failure and deafness.

Bill

villagernb
08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Good morning, everybody!:wave: :heart: I missed you all so much!

Hot and humid here, after we thought fall was coming on last week. We are in a dry period; no rain now for about three weeks. Most days we have a teasing forecast, with a chance of showers late in the afternoon but none have materialized so far.:(

Uschi, I envy your phlox. The deer eat mine down to three-inch stumps. One stalk managed to bloom that grew up underneath the sharp stems of one of my lilac bushes. Before the deer herd got out of hand, I had lovely drifts of pale and hot pink phlox, both gifts from my neighbour's garden before she sold her house and moved into an apartment in town.

I have a letter to write, (with a pen on paper!):eek: to a friend who doesn't have the internet since she retired. Then I'll see about walking to the post office with it, but it may be too hot to walk that far. We shall see.

Back later (hopefully!)

Anne

Uschi
08-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Careful with the drugs as tylenol and ibuprofin can cause kidney failure and deafness. Bill

Bill, there are few people in this world who dislike taking drugs more than I do. Only did that for four days which also dulled the pain when doing the stretching exercises which hurt so much.

For that matter, I found one issue with my hip - an area that I had complained about for 6 years but was not previously diagnosed:heart: :heart: :heart: Google. Others can't feel it and can't see it but I knew it was there. Have since done exercises for it and MUCH improved. We really do know our own body best!!!!!!! Have since played table tennis, no pills and no pain:thumbsup:

Sylvia, I REALLY don't like doing exercises either but I guess either that or the other:rolleyes: If Larry loves his running as much as I do my table tennis I REALLY feel for him. I would be quite devastated if I couldn't play any more.

Lynn, I am really looking forward to your travelogue:thumbsup:

Gail, I hope Balsam Lake was wonderful!!

Ellen, are you doing the salt version, the cup version or some other?? Yes, photos would be great!!

Henry, I soooooooooo hope that good progress is happening with Lesley:crossfingers:

Geoff, yes, where on earth are you off to now??????

Also :wave: to Karl, Darla, Annie, Kev and all yet to come!!!!

Breakfasted, showered, dressed etc.etc. off to start the day (late as it is:rolleyes: :lol: )

EDIT: Anne, :crying: :crying: about your phlox.

Uschi

Larkfour
08-20-2013, 11:22 AM
:wave: So glad to see you are all back to posting. It is difficult to be a lurker when there is nothing to lurk upon. Have a wonderful day all. Nancy

happhoto
08-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Happy Tuesday Washeroo's!!

Glad to see the site is back up, even if it's a bit wobbly yet!

Caryl, have fun with your peaches...way too much sugar for me, but I do love one or two each season.

Things here in the (currently very dry) great northwet are proceeding as usual. only 18 more home games at the ballpark this season. :( The upside to that is that I get to spend more time back in the studio (have barely painted this summer)! Anne is already busy in her classroom and is also taking classes on the new curriculum changes. She'll be in class every day this week and next week she starts the prepping for the kids arrival right after Labor Day...Time has FLOWN this year!

Sylvia I'm currently debating (and Anne is telling me "don't debate just sign up!" ) attending a Nita Leland workshop in Las Vegas in October...5 whole days of painting!!

Good to see everyone is popping in and the site is holding it's own (currently!)

Make it a great day!!
hap

Yorky
08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi folks! Back from bowling. 80F here and humid with it - not my kind of weather.

Heard from Lyn (Artmom) who is on dialysis but is hoping to be allowed home from hospital.

So good to see everyone checking in.

My stomach problems seem to be reponding to treatment Uschi, I am waiting for a gastroscope appointment to find out the cause.

Doug

WthrLady
08-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Morning all.
No worries on the peaches being eaten in gluttony here. I'm allergic. I know, shocking. I broke out in hives just picking the dumb things, then again peeling and packing them. But DH and DS love them so! LOL.

I put up the preserves this morning and will get to the canned halves maybe tonight, but probably not until tomorrow. Then I'll also freeze some quarters.

I made it out to the countryside and got some fabulous shots, which I'll get online now that the site is behaving. Barns, fields, flowers etc. That's one thing I'm not short on here, open country! HA!

Glad to see everyone returning.
Thanks to those popping a postcard in the post!

Doug thanks for the update on Lyn.
Anyone heard from Henry and Leslie?

Scene Chaser
08-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Hap, take the class.

Doug, your painting arrived today. I love it. Thanks so much. It will always bring back memories of you and Ruth's stay. In case others missed seeing the painting in the gallery, I'm showing it off. Hope you don't mind.
Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2013/83119-Marlette_Cooperative.JPG

WthrLady
08-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Hap! Just Sign Up !

Europa
08-20-2013, 12:09 PM
HI WASHGANGEROOS!!

Am just popping in.........see the site is back up........and am popping right out again......busy busy busy......:wave: :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

kaypainter
08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
:clap: :clap:

Hellooooo Wash Gang!

Good to hear from all of you again. I did feel a bit like I might be an addict on withdrawal. Not much new. Had to spend another bunch of money on the car. All these computer thingies going haywire. A couple of us got together for a yard sale Sunday. I was hoping to make enough to offset the cost of the repair. Only made $50 or so. Now to decide what to do with all the things that didn't sell. Best to take them right down to the Goodwill I think before I decide "I might like to keep that." :rolleyes:

.......but expect to be able to iPod in everyday.........
geoff

I saw that and had visions of an Iditarod thingy. You sledding in on some electronic sled yelling "Mush" to a bunch of electronic hounds. My mind wanders.

Doug glad the medicine is helping.

MMMmmmm Annie chocolate covered orange slices. And you don't have to do anything but pick them.

Caryl I once picked four dozen peaches and peeled and sliced them for an enormous peach cobbler. Won't do it again. My hands looked like I'd been smoking a pack a day for forty years. And oh that peach juice in the cuts! You brave woman you. Owww.

Uschi is Celebrex still banned in Canada? They sell it in the US. I see those commercials all the time and think of you and your stash.

I'd like to suggest to all whose hips and knees are hurting -- my dance injuries scream at me quite a bit -- swimming or water aerobics. If you can find a pool near you. Nothing soothes my hip and knee pains like going for a swim. With the weight off them I can get a good workout, and it makes it easier to walk over the next few days.

Ellen would love to see your scarves.

I even sold an old car I had sitting in my yard too long.
Bill

Now that's what I call killing two birds with one stone. :thumbsup:

Anne -- pen and paper? I think I remember that stuff. No I like handwritten notes. Lucky recipient.

Welcome Nancy. Post again!

Hap -- Sign up!

((((((Lyn)))))))

So :wave: :wave: to all

HAWLTAIN

Kay

CharM
08-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Good Afternoon!!! I'm so glad we're back... but my internet has gone walkabout and it's taking forever for anything to load... so, I'll have to keep this short...

Uschi, we've been swimming every day, but the water is nothing short of frigid! Even the girls said it was cold yesterday! :eek:

We've been crafting a few things. Here are the girls in their tie dyed shirts... our kit came with three colours that weren't all that great... but, hey, the shirts look ok and we had a blast.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2013/20514-TieDyed.jpg

I hope that our connection improves so I can actually respond to everyone... In the meantime, it's good to be here even if it feels like I'm clogging through molasses in January... So, ((())) to all in need... Have the very best possible day, everyone!

Uschi
08-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Uschi is Celebrex still banned in Canada? They sell it in the US. I see those commercials all the time and think of you and your stash.
Kay

My stash is Vioxx Kay, no longer available anywhere in the world:crying: I have read that one has to take the Celebrex for about two weeks before you feel the full effect. I don't want that, I want something that works miraculously when I need it and then gets the heck out of the body:lol:

Char, the T shirts ended up looking BEAUTIFUL as do the girls, especially now that I know them and can add their lovely personality to the picture.

Bill/Doug, lovely painting!!!!!!

Doug, so glad you are feeling better, :crossfingers: for positive final results.

I'm allergic. I know, shocking. I broke out in hives just picking the dumb things, then again peeling and packing them. But DH and DS love them so! LOL.

Caryl, now there is totally selfless love!!!! Well, not toally selfless because you enjoy watching them enjoy it:)

Larkfour Nancy - :lol: :lol: :lol: You could always join in, you know:)

Hap, so we need to suffer through 18 more games before we have you back here where you belong!!!!!! Glad Anne is doing well!!

Hi Pat!!!

Well the lunch and the company were nice. It is a beautiful day so I am going to sit under my cool arbor and read for a while.

:wave: Uschi

shipbroker
08-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Brief look in as poor signal. We sre about 5 miles from Royal Estate at Sandringham tonight,tommow 5 nights near Southwold in Suffolk on the coast then North Norfolk for about 8 nights followed by a week in Lincolnshire therafter about 8 nights outside Cambridge. Then Stafford in Midlands for 5 nights and finally 3 nights back in North Yorkshire!!!

geoff

Yorky
08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
You certainly get around Geoff. Hope the fine weather continues for you.

Glad the painting arrived OK Bill. It looks very pink in your photo.

Doug

WthrLady
08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
9 pounds washed and peeled, packed and in the deep freeze

another 10 next, jars are in the dishwasher, phew....... this is getting OLD quick! LOL.

Geoff- enjoy your holiday!

happhoto
08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I am really thinking that I WILL be going to Nita's worshop, just neet to make sure that my Anne is up to me being away for a week.

Uschi, that's 18 more HOME games...season won't end until the end of September. and I also work a lot of "non baseball" events as well and that is year round. And I do LOVE working at the ballpark, even though it costs me time in the studio and painting time :( .

Char, your grands are beautiful! I know you must be having a ball with them visiting!!:thumbsup: you should do MORE tye dying! We used to do it every summer!

Hope everyone checks in and is doing ok!

hap

LynnM
08-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Caryl, postcard printed and ready to go, it was fun! I feel tired just reading your schedule :eek:

Lucky you, Bill, great to have such a souvenir!

From me too, Hap, take the course!

Hi Kay:wave:

I agree with Uschi, shirts look good and the girls look even better, Char! You have had a lovely visit with them.

Hi Pat, Nancy (do join in!).

CharM
08-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Hiya... :crossfingers: that my Internet lets me post this... although it's supposed to be hot and sunny, the clouds have moved in making my connection problems even worse. Such is life out in the boonies, I guess.

We've just come up from the lake. The little neighbour girls swam from our dock along with my Grands... so much fun watching them invent Mermaid games, underwater tag and jumping with noodles... :lol: The water is cold.

We made salt dough beads yesterday and painted them today. They're drying now and we'll be able to string them by tomorrow.

Bill, what a lucky guy! The image does look pink!

Caryl... my family are not fans of canned peaches... I don't mind. I do make jam, though and will get to that next week when my Girls are gone. I've begun the job of stewing the tomatoes as they ripen, though.

Hap. Take. The. Workshop. Sheesh!!! :p :)

Hey, Nancy Lurker... join us... we don't bite..

:wave: All for now... Girls are hungry... they are always hungry. You'd think they were teenage boys!

NancyR
08-20-2013, 05:29 PM
:wave: I sure did miss everyone. I got addicted to the stupid Candy Crush game to filll my Wet Canvas time.

I have my third opinion on my back with a neurologist tomorrow morning. I think I posted it during the terrible times, and then it disappeared. Second opinion recommended this doctor. He trained at the same hospital that I had my brain surgery back in 1985. I know I will be in good hands with him.

My middle daughter and family are heading to Oz in a few days for two months. SIL has a film job, so they are tagging along.

Hap, I will be in Las Vegas starting Oct 20th. If you are there at the same time, we could get together. My husband would have a lot to talk to you about baseball since he umpires.

Uschi, I totally agree about the aches and pain of getting older. It takes longer to bounce back. Then I look at my mother and her issues and know that I am still doing OK.

Have a great evening or morning.

NancyR

WthrLady
08-20-2013, 06:33 PM
4 pounds for fresh eating in the veg drawer
the remaining 8 pounds MUST go to work with DH and to the neighbors! LOL.

all the rest has been frozen, canned, bagged, or preserved.

Phew. I processed 48 pounds of peaches today. Jars happily singing in the kitchen. Pop,,,pop....pop.

OK, here's a question for my washer buds. I have a huge boot box full of post cards from the early 1900s. They are plenty old enough to be in the public domain. They are from a collection of my great aunt, who took grand tours all the time ($$ and no kids), since this was the time before private cameras, you bought postcards to remember your trip. these are blank on the back.

I want to do something watercolory with them, but don't know what!
Anyone have any ideas?

Some of these locales are cool and I wonder what they look like today, IF they are even around anymore!

Yorky
08-20-2013, 07:17 PM
My you have been busy! postcards Sound interesting Caryl, maybe you could do historical scenes in the manner that John has been doing?

Doug

WthrLady
08-20-2013, 07:38 PM
which john?

Yorky
08-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Sorry, having a brain freeze, may be David I'll get back to you.

OK It was David - Daggers - (he posts in Watermedia )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325030

Doug