PDA

View Full Version : The Tourists

eyecandy2
08-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I call this painting "The Tourists". It oil on linen and is 16 x 20 inches. It is a composit of several photos that I took when I was in Paris, France. The background is Notra Dame and the two figures were sitting on this wall trying to decide where to go. I would like to hear any comments and critiques that you can offer and thanks for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2013/114934-The_TouristsSm.jpg

D.W. Flint
08-21-2013, 12:07 AM
I can see you spent a lot of time on this one. Beautiful work on the clothing and church in the background.
If there could somehow be more of a value contrast I think the figures would stand out even more. In looking at the man's left hip, it sort of appears to be a little too far forward. Could be the shadow causing that...
Anyway, great job. Wish I could visit there some day.

bocote
08-21-2013, 03:12 AM
I'm with D. W. on the additional contrast in clothing - I'm thinking in the blue shirt, pants, and lower right of green vest. On the flip side the doors in the background are getting a lot of attention so I think lightening those would also help.

The value of the foreground bench and background is the same and your figures are floating if you move back from the canvas a bit.

Composition is okay, but with the subject being the tourists I think I would have included shoes and more space at top or something entirely different.

There are some structural issues with man's underneath knee and leg as well as a chameleon effect with pants and with the bench.

have fun,

opainter
08-21-2013, 03:29 AM
At first I thought that the people were a little bit too big and colorful in contrast with the background. Then I realized that this was probably a special effect that you were trying to achieve in this painting.

Oh - I think I have seen those two somewhere before!

WebCat
08-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Fantastic painting Phil! I love your work. I peeked at your facebook. For me, as someone learning, you're an inspiration. And as I am still learning I find it difficult to critique your painting but I do photography and can critique in that way. If I was behind the lens shooting this pair I wouldn't have bothered with worry about cutting his toes off. So many photographers are worried about that. And I love the view point of the viewer. It's perfect! I would have backed up just a wee bit though and given the space above their heads a little more room. I hope that this makes sense and that I've added something valuable for you. There as so many great comments already.

This painting says so much. She's a very aware woman; noticing things around her and her fist so tight on her purse. She's a lot more tense than he is. He's just enjoying his visit. And those tiny wanderers in the background are such a treat to find. Such a wonderful painting!

eyecandy2
08-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for looking and commenting. As far as contrast is concerned, I guess my photo doesn't do justice to the painting. I was concerned that there was too much contrast.
opainter, I don't know these people and I took the liberty of just taking their photo for I don't know what reason. They were total strangers.
As for the size of the figures, I agree. They should have been a little smaller so that the heads were not so high up in the canvas and I might have been able to show the shoes which really aren't important. His reading a tour book and her bored expression were more important to me.
I do thank you all for your critiques and one day I would like to create a masterpiece that would be fault free. As of now, I just keep fumbling along.

La_
08-22-2013, 12:07 PM
it's a good piece, phil
tourists is a perfect title
she looks ready for a glass of wine

their hands look small to me is my only pick

la

maryinasia
08-22-2013, 09:23 PM
really has the feel of Notre Dame. a little suggestion -- make sure her hair looks on top of her skin, not vice versa, with just a little blending

eyecandy2
09-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Thank you. I'm working on it.

Sye
09-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Clever perspective!
With the linear background, I'd smooth out some of their clothing shadows.
that's it.

rossmarie
09-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Jolly good Phil. She definitely looks as though she has had enough sightseeing and could do with some retail therapy while he is perfectly happy and relaxed where he is. Every picture tells a story, they say, and this one certainly does. Only one thing bothers me slightly ......I think her arm looks very short and small for the size of her body. If she stood up, would her hands reach half way between hip and knee as most do?

Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eyecandy2
09-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Yes, her arm would extend down to her thigh. I have done some work on this piece and will post it as soon as I can take a photo of it

eyecandy2
10-02-2013, 08:40 PM
have worked on the highlights and a few other things. Still working on it but here is my progress.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2013/114934-Tourests2Sm.jpg

eyecandy2
11-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Sorry to tell you that the upper arm doesn't extend down to the thigh. Try in on yourself unless you over quite a bit and I don't thin that she is. Thanks for looking and suggesting.