PDA

View Full Version : Like the eyes but having a bad hair day!

Puppa
08-16-2013, 03:36 PM
I did this today. I don't like the lips and the hair, frankly I'm embarrassed about. I wanted the hair soft and loose and ended up overworking it:eek: I need help! I am verrrry rusty. It's been a while since I had a go and I think I have the equivalent of writers block; a dozen failures and this is the first I've come near to being okay-ish about what I've created. Buts its soooooo far from feeling achievement.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2013/104492-image.jpg

Pointers on soft hair and juicy lips would be a great help. The hair is supposed to be a tousled pony tail. :lol:

Tamm

M.L. Schaefer
08-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Tamm, the eyes are very lovely! Ah, yes, a very bad hair day! So, be brave and begin to carefully lift the color! No scrubbing, put a bit of water down with a brush, wait a minute, press down with a smooth paper towel (like Visa). These colors should life easily. Do, that carefully all the way around, most especially at the hair line. If it doesn't all come away, that is okay. Next, wait overnight until it is totally bone dry. THAT will allow the paper to recover (heal) and the fibers become strong again.

(Before you begin lifting notice the part in the hair. You don't have to use a pencil, just use your eyes or an index finger to "paint" a small half moon over the part (dipping up not downward), indicating where the head should end. Pretty face, not enough head shape to support it...you'll see what I mean.)

So, decide on the color hair you want (depending on how much white/light you recover will make your choices easier), and then around the hair line put wispy hair...NOT an unbroken, heavy line like you have now, make an indication of hair only. Different short lengths, very thin lines, curled/not curled. Just an indication. Practice a bit first. For the hair itself, paint from light to dark (duh, huh?). In segments. Leave a lot of white/light especially where the light hits the hair. Do some negative painting of the hair. Lovely tutorials, I bet, in the Learning Center.

And I ramble, possibly not helping a dang bit! :)

With the lips, I can't describe it...I could do it with a paint brush, not with words... (I just tried to write a description...:eek: which was not so good - thus deleted)!

Other, more experienced artists can give your better ideas!

:heart: Margarete

clode
08-16-2013, 05:51 PM
It is true the hair .. not top .. but the eyes are beautiful!

pjartwc
08-17-2013, 06:54 AM
I actually like the hair. It has a watercolor feel to it. You could use a few very fine sprigs of different value at the ends within and outside the grayish locks leaving some of the gray. The eyes are painted well. Next time make sure the iris, pupil, and highlight are in the same location for both eyes. Lips are well painted - might want them toned down a bit.

Puppa
08-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys for the constructive critisicm, although I'm finding it a little difficult to visualise how to fix things. I've not done any painting for about a year 18 months or so and never really got past the newbie stage. I realise I like faces, finding the emotion coming from the eyes so intriguing.

I have a compulsion to capture a character but get easily frustrated because my skills are so limited. So I don't try, so I don't fail. Stupid I know!

graesea
08-17-2013, 08:58 PM
The eyes are nice - but honestly I'm more disturbed by the placement of her ears than her eyes. They seem a bit low.

noge
08-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Ist a nice start:wave:
If you paint a head you should study the basic proportions and add light & shadow http://www.google.at/search?q=Drawing+head&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=smwQUpKNEean4ASC-IGYAg&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1102

M.L. Schaefer
08-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Puppa, I don't know how to use Paintbrush, but I did come up with this. I think if you fix the part, some light lifting of the black line surrounding the face may be all you need. Margarete

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2013/134492-Puppas.jpg

portalhome
08-19-2013, 09:10 PM
M.L. Scheaffer is right. Don't you hate looking at your work so long that you stop being able to see it? I do!

M.L. Schaefer
08-19-2013, 09:38 PM
Alice, :)) :)).

Remember you're the baby chick, taking its first baby steps, before it learns how to Fly! Yes, sometimes its disheartening (I KNOW, I am taking baby steps in landscapes) but very soon it will begin to work for you. Think about visiting the Drawing and the Portrait Forums, you will learn a lot. Also, I still rely on a book that I have had for how many years :eek: (too many), its called Drawing the Head & Figure by Jack Hamm (1963). Part of it is simplistic, other parts are very in depth, such as structural principles, major neck muscles, foreshortening, placement of ears:evil: , shoulders, the bones and muscles of the arm...and on and on. Very good, simple (sometimes overly simple) graphics.

Your work very fresh (drawn, not traced, I am thinking?) and not stilted. Do not lose that "freshness," ever.

I am looking forward to more! (I meant to write all this earlier, but, alas, that didn't work out for me :) thanks to the imps and gremlins)

:heart: M.

Puppa
08-21-2013, 04:10 AM
I'll post the reference picture later. Sad to say its a tracing of a painting hence the reason any odd positioning of ears! (Hadn't noticed till someone mentioned it!) it's not here but somewhere someone posted perhaps cropping below the hairline. I also like the filling in extra hair as I agree it looks plain odd at the moment. Not sure if I'm brave enough to start lifting the colour but the critique you've given is very helpful.

I'm not an expert and not experienced with developing a portrait to great detail but I quite like the suggestion of features which suits my style. I want to paint loose and fresh. I hate hair though!