PDA

View Full Version : Wolf

Sarah Dowson
08-13-2013, 07:38 PM
I have only been painting with pastels for a short time. I paint pet portraits, but occasionally I fancy painting a wild animal. This is my latest painting. Soft pastels, Rembrandt, Conte and a few fine details painted with pastel pencils. Painted on Pastelmat, Size 11"x15"
Your comments will be appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/1304117-Wolf_2_Finished_Web.jpg

Sarah Rose
08-13-2013, 08:29 PM
That's really nice, you have a great style! The colors are wonderful.

Sarah Rose
08-13-2013, 08:32 PM
What keeps drawing my eye are the repeated shapes in the closest ear, and under the throat. I do that all the time and it's really hard to not do it. The ones in the ear are all the same width pretty much. The one pointy shape under the chin is a bit distracting to me. I think it's a great painting, though, just a few nit picks.

IMaybe
08-16-2013, 04:38 PM
nice work--great face.

Did you like the pastel mat? How did the pencils "feel" on this surface?

Sarah Dowson
08-16-2013, 05:45 PM
SarahRose and IMaybe
I did write a reply to your posts but for some reason it isn't here. I will try again.
Just to say thank you for your comments. I take on board what you have said SarahRose, Thank you.

As for Pastelmat, I absolutely love it.
I haven't been painting in pastels for very long, only a couple of months. I use different supports but the pastelmat is my latest purchase.
I found it a dream to use. Blending was fairly easy on the first layer using my fingers, subsequent layers were easier. I found the pastelmat held on to the pastel very well and it was clean, very little or no pastel dropping off. I didn't need to use a fixative which is great as I don't like using it as it dulls the colours. The pencils worked like a dream on it too. I only used them for fine detail, mainly in the eyes and I did ensure that the pencils were sharp.
I will be using pastelmat a lot in the future.
I am also planning to do a painting on velour. I have done one and enjoyed using it. I just think I need to paint on it again to familiarise myself on how it behaves with the pastels.