PDA

View Full Version : Trying This Again-Quarter Horse, Xposted in A & WA

Equus Art
08-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Hopefully the gremlins on WC have left. I'm trying to post this again. Pastel portrait of my blue roan Quarter Horse, Tulsa. This is about 20 x 21" on Mi Teintes paper with Mount Visions, Terry Ludwigs and Derwent pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/1182735-IMAG0254_1.jpg

Close up of head

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/1182735-Tulsa1head.jpg

Any suggestions or critiques welcomed.

Cat

Pat71
08-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Wow! Stunning painting! Great details and use of the colors! Well done!
What do you mean with the gremlins?

artsask
08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Lovely horse and painting, love the sheen you have achieved on her coat, she looks so silky, nice job.

Trudi

robertsloan2
08-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Wow! This portrait is spectacular. I love the coat texture, the shine and dappling are so real and natural. The face is elegant. All the subtle harmonies are there and strong anatomy. One of the things that fascinates me in horses is the veins under their skin, the way they show especially on the face and legs, you've got that interesting detail.

It's clear you love this animal and that it's like when I paint my cat. You're good at horses but this is the horse you know that well and love individually.

Great background too. I like the subtle color gradient and the way it sets off the horse with hue and value. Those colors come back in the light on the horse too. Great painting.

Sarah Rose
08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Very nice! I agree with everything Robert said. I love how you harmonized the horse and background, really makes it sing!

Equus Art
08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback!

Robert, I have enjoyed reading your comments and posts tremendously. Your eye for critiquing is quite sharp and I appreciate you taking the time to add your thoughts on my work. And yes, I love this guy to pieces! He has such personality.

Cat

gecko99
08-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Fantastic rendering and completely agree with Robert about the unity and the light - a lovely piece!

Nicole

Terry Wynn
08-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Beautiful painting of your beautiful horse.

Terry

IMaybe
08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
:clap: Its much more than a rendering!! It has feeling, and much thought included. The background is inspired. Color harmony thruout, background and all. Wonderful work AND REALLY SHOWS HOW NICE mI TIENTES CAN BE TO WORK ON. thanks for your post.

Equus Art
08-20-2013, 06:17 AM
:D Thanks so much for your accolades! With all the comings and goings of posts on here lately, I had resigned myself to never seeing this thread again.

Thanks, IMaybe. I have to admit to really pushing this Mi Teintes paper to its ultimate tooth limit in several areas because I had resolved not to use fixative on this piece. As it was, with a full time job and other farm related commitments, it took me almost 3 months to complete.

Thanks again for everyone's kind feedback!

Cat

Mettaphorica
08-23-2013, 05:47 AM
Oh very wow, too. Agree, Rob's comments are always astute and helpful...I learn from his comments about other's work, not just my own!

This is impressive, well done.
cheers
Donna

Equus Art
08-23-2013, 05:59 AM
Thanks, Donna! I admire your animal art with each piece you post. I appreciate the positive feedback and any suggestions folks make. This board has so much talent!

Cat

Rockport123
08-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Very Lovely work!

Claudia in Alaska
08-23-2013, 12:47 PM
gorgeous! This is amazing work. Love how he gives you the eyeball :) Blue roan - how cool. I had a red roan appaloosa once...
cheers! Give him an apple for me ;)