PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Palette

frodron
08-13-2013, 05:53 AM
I know we have had Palette Addicts but I am wondering what is the palette you use the most when painting.
As a Brit I am in awe of some of the large palettes available in the U.S. compared with some of the ones generally available in the U.K.
But I don't believe that a large palette is everybody's choice, so what is yours ?

painterbear
08-13-2013, 06:04 AM
I have two John Pike palettes that I really like. I have my blues, greens, and earth tones in one and my reds, yellows, and browns in the other.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/9833-340.jpg

Sylvia

ingegerd
08-13-2013, 06:51 AM
I like my tinbox.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/13529-CIMG1576.JPG

CharM
08-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Heaven only knows where this post may end up... :) It belongs in Palette Talk in the Watercolor Forum...

I do have a few palettes, but have been searching for the perfect fit also!

I had a large palette similar to Sylvia's, but I didn't like carrying it around with me... I visit friends to paint, and I teach at our Cultural Centre in town. Additionally, I just don't have the room in the space where I paint at home for a large palette.

So, I've been using a folding plastic Master's palette for several years. I like the portability of it, the fact that it folds to a nice, small size and its very light weight.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/20514-p70592b.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/20514-DirtyPalette.jpg

I have ordered a new palette, a HEUNG IL Aluminum palette, #426 that folds to a small 10 x 4.5". It's been shipped by snail mail, so I'm patiently (not) waiting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2013/20514-HeungIl.jpg

Sorry about the large images... I resized them, but they're still really BIG!!!

shipbroker
08-13-2013, 10:33 AM
I do have a mixing area in a recently purchased W&N paintbox which I have used a couple of times,however, I tend to use a collection of 2 and 3 space used microwave trays, which can either be washed off or thrown out.

geoff

Superturtle
08-15-2013, 09:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2013/1185887-image.jpg
I've tried a pretty wide variety of palettes, and have settled on the Herring Compact palette. I like how compact it is. I hope to upgrade it to a Little Brass Box at some point.

watercolourfanatic
08-16-2013, 11:40 AM
My Craig Young Paintbox. I've just ordered a new insert from him with 24 paint wells.

Peter:)

Quinacridone Gold
08-16-2013, 10:22 PM
My Littlebrassbox paintbox with 20 wells. And the tiny travel one for 'everywhere'. I only use the bigger one in the studio though.

I have used the Masters ones for years (see Charm's post) and still make them up for my students - they are really excellent and cheap (!) but there's nothing like using a lovely brass palette.

I think for me one of the issues is that I don't like pans rattling around while I am trying to paint. The masters overcomes that, as do the brass palettes since I put the paint directly in the wells.

For plein air I have the Herring and have put paint directly into the wells in that too, adding 8 half pans to make 24. It's pretty good. And I have a small Schmincke that I have blu-tacked 24 half pans (agreed - it's a wonderful number of pigments Peter) but I think I'd have to glue them to really enjoy using that one. Next step - a medium size brass paintbox with 24 smaller than half pan wells that would cover plein-air anywhere in the world ...and sell the rest! Or just make do!

chkre
08-17-2013, 02:48 PM
I like my tinbox.

So do I: rather cheap, flexible, (so far) I don't need anything else.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2013/981378-Mai_2013_006.jpg

alexs
08-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Jane: My curiosity has got the better of me.
Are those paint stains on the flaps of your Little Brass Box palette?
If so, are they removable.
Alex

LynnM
08-21-2013, 09:14 AM
I use the same Master's one indoors, but love my little WN travel one (http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Newton-Cotman-Watercolor-Half-Pans/dp/B000BMCP0K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_7)for plein aire.

ArtsyMom
08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
My favorite has to be the John Pike pallet that I use for many years. Also have a smaller one that I use when outdoors.

frodron
08-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Thank you all for replying. It is very interesting seeing what other people use.
Although I own several palettes I tend to use a cheap plastic palette with 18 paint wells and 5 paint mix areas. The main gripe I have is that the paint wells are too small for my larger brushes.
I must admit I do like the John Pike palette and similar designs.
One day I might go mad and add a John Pike to my collection

.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2013/45415-DSC_0002a.jpg

painterbear
08-23-2013, 05:14 AM
Frodon,
There is a John Pike palette with larger wells than the one pictured above if you like using big brushes.

I have one John Pike palette that I've been using for at least 15 years, so it is a good investment. :D

Sylvia

frodron
08-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Thanks Painterbear

Yorky
08-23-2013, 06:05 AM
I have quite a few palettes lying idle. I tend to use the Heritage palette with the rubber seal for everything these days. I have wasted a ton of paint filling palettes which I hardly ever use.

Doug

olliewood0702
08-23-2013, 08:33 AM
I have many palettes too and really like my Stephen Quiller palette. It's set up in a circle; like a color wheel. I love my travel Koi box palette too for quick sketches and washes. FOr years I used a tin box one and really liked it but gave it to my son; and have always been sad about that. I may just have to purchase another one.:evil: ;)

Quinacridone Gold
08-26-2013, 03:43 AM
Jane: My curiosity has got the better of me.
Are those paint stains on the flaps of your Little Brass Box palette?
If so, are they removable.
Alex

Hi Alex
Yes they are paint stains from testing out PR122 in different brands. And yes they are removable, with 'Gumption' or 'Marble paste' or other very slightly abrasive cleaners, and have been removed. If I keep away from that pigment (or that brand?) I don't seem to have a problem. John, who made it, said you can drop the whole thing in bleach :eek: but I just couldn't do that. I should have cleaned it before posting sorry! Has yours arrived yet?

frodron
08-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Another thing that has intrigued me.
What is the best way of loading tube paint into paint wells, especially the shallow ones for example, as shown in CharM's palette (as well as others) ?
I am particularly curious as to how to get the paint so evenly distributed so that it does not protrude above the sides of the wells.
I tend to use cocktail sticks to try to get it even.

Yorky
08-26-2013, 06:48 AM
I fill my palette straight from the tube and level it out with a palette knife. In use all colours develop a depression.

Doug

alexs
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Jaqne
Glad to see that the stains are removable, with some abrasive. We don't have "Gumption" in this part of the world. We do have "Vim" a mild cream abrasive. Haven't got to that stage yet. Yes I have received my palette box from Little Brass Box Co. quite some time ago. John had sent it 5 weeks earlier than originally quoted. Its a nice piece of work, well made, well finished and a good size.

The Binning Munroe box looks very tempting! Love to have that in my studio.

Cheers
Alex

Quinacridone Gold
08-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Jaqne
Glad to see that the stains are removable, with some abrasive. We don't have "Gumption" in this part of the world. We do have "Vim" a mild cream abrasive. Haven't got to that stage yet. Yes I have received my palette box from Little Brass Box Co. quite some time ago. John had sent it 5 weeks earlier than originally quoted. Its a nice piece of work, well made, well finished and a good size.

The Binning Munroe box looks very tempting! Love to have that in my studio.

Cheers
Alex

I am looking at a travel sized brass palette that is between my palette box and my tiny box - one that holds 24 colours (smaller than half pans) to take everywhere. I love using the brass ones so much that my plastic ones feel a bit icky now, and my schmincke metal one doesn't do it for me either. Oh the choices we have!

Marcio C
08-27-2013, 01:34 AM
My favorite is the John Pike palette. I know even some people who use the Pike palette for plein air, but I need a more compact option for that purpose. That's why I think the Holbein folding metal palette is still overall the best option, it is very compact and slim, very light yet strong, has a lot of mixing space, easy to clean, and it is not too expensive, and there is enough room even to carry a sponge and brushes in it. I don't have a problem with the wells on the lid as I reserve those for paints that set promptly.
I like the Heritage and the Herring palettes a lot too.

I imagine the CY would be a favorite, but have not seen one in person yet (I have checked the CY paintboxes of a couple of friends and disliked the weight and the high profile and particularly disliked the oval wells--I think the palette box a much better design).

Tred
08-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Beware of Gumption, Vim or other bath cleaners - they are far too abrasive.
Try a "Magic Eraser"
Cheers
Tred

CharM
08-27-2013, 07:16 AM
I agree with you Tred... any kind of abrasive will forever change the surface of your mixing area.

A white eraser rubbed over a plastic palette surface will return it to white. Of course, it leaves behind some eraser bits that have to be dealt with carefully so they don't get into your wells. But, there's no abrasion.

I also caution against using the Magic Eraser because it contains some amount of formaldehyde.

sw rose
08-27-2013, 06:23 PM
I recently filled my pallet wells with tube watercolors and when they dried they all cracked. Does anyone know why this happens?. I use American Journey from cheap joes. I like these paints other than the cracking. It is very dry here in Idaho. Maybe that is it.

virgil carter
08-27-2013, 06:37 PM
I've used AJ paints from Cheap's for over 20 years and haven't had this problem except for palettes that I don't use for a year or more. That said, some paints and pigments dry differently than others.

I'd suggest you spritz your palette weekly or use a little honey or other moisture additive periodically. Hope this helps.

Sling paint,
Virgil

Marcio C
08-27-2013, 07:07 PM
I live in a dry climate too, and paint will crack and shrink if poured all at once and allowed to dry very quickly... it is better to pour it in layers, allowing each layer to dry fully before adding the next, it may require three pours or so... also, put a damp sponge inside the palette while the paint dries, that will slow the drying and allow the paint to work its plasticity without cracking. You see, multiple pours, controlled environment, patience, there is a science to pouring, that's why pans are expensive :)

Quinacridone Gold
08-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Another thing that has intrigued me.
What is the best way of loading tube paint into paint wells, especially the shallow ones for example, as shown in CharM's palette (as well as others) ?
I am particularly curious as to how to get the paint so evenly distributed so that it does not protrude above the sides of the wells.
I tend to use cocktail sticks to try to get it even.

My advice is not to fill the wells! Have a look at my reasoning here http://janeblundellart.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/the-advantages-of-only-partially.html

CharM
08-27-2013, 08:36 PM
I really do not see the advantage of trying to fill the wells... :confused: I mean, how long does it really take to refresh them with new pigment when they run low? And it's much easier to reconstitute the smaller amounts...

sw rose
08-27-2013, 10:24 PM
I live in a dry climate too, and paint will crack and shrink if poured all at once and allowed to dry very quickly... it is better to pour it in layers, allowing each layer to dry fully before adding the next, it may require three pours or so... also, put a damp sponge inside the palette while the paint dries, that will slow the drying and allow the paint to work its plasticity without cracking. You see, multiple pours, controlled environment, patience, there is a science to pouring, that's why pans are expensive :)

Thank you that makes perfect sence to me. I will do it.

frodron
08-28-2013, 04:02 AM
I am glad I started this thread as there have been a lot of interesting replies.

However no one (apart from Yorkie) has yet come up with their version on how to load shallow paint wells which is the main reason I asked the question.

This is because I have a folding palette with shallow wells and I find that if you over fill them the paint gets all over the place when you fold the palette into the closed position.

DaveCrow
08-28-2013, 09:12 AM
I use one of the cheap folding plastic palettes a lot. I don't fill the wells completely, I just squeeze in fresh paint as needed.

frodron
08-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks Dave, I will have to give that a go.

CharM
08-28-2013, 10:11 AM
I am glad I started this thread as there have been a lot of interesting replies.

However no one (apart from Yorkie) has yet come up with their version on how to load shallow paint wells which is the main reason I asked the question.

This is because I have a folding palette with shallow wells and I find that if you over fill them the paint gets all over the place when you fold the palette into the closed position.

Don't completely fill the wells! I place a small amount in each and let them dry... it usually takes about 24 hours. Then, they reconstitute easily each time you need to use them. Replace colour as needed, which is more often of course. You'll be using fresher paint. Honestly, I thought my photo kind of spoke for itself... sorry...

painterbear
08-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Like Char, I never fill the wells on my palettes. I squeeze out a fair sized blob of paint in the well, let it dry, then moisten them with water from an eye dropper before I am going to start painting.

My instructor recommends adding a drop of fresh paint in the well before starting a new painting. Then letting it mix with the older dry paint in the well. I'm going to try that the next painting I start. :D

Sylvia

frodron
08-29-2013, 03:47 AM
CharM,
Don't ask me why but I was under the impression that the wells were filled.
On closer inspection I can see what you mean. It is common sense really
Thanks to you and Painterbear for the explanations.