PDA

View Full Version : one of my neighbor's flowers

J.D.
08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Just a little study of one of my neighbor's flowers. let me know what you think. C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2013/1304943-20130810_204432.jpg

Talley
08-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Lovely yellows against those greys. And I like curve and movement you've achieved in the petals which is another nice contrast against the strong horizontal of the fence.

a small compositional point, the two upper petals and unopened bud are all pointing to upper right, leading my eye away. if the bud were repositioned a bit it could help to bring the eye back into the painting to roam around a bit more and enjoy it longer.

nice painting, J.D.

water girl
08-11-2013, 02:20 PM
You have a nice little start here. Let us know which paper you are using, the size of your study and which pastels you are using. I'll be waiting for your next post.

pastel65
08-11-2013, 09:26 PM
I like it a lot. The flower stands out against
the background. Pam

J.D.
08-12-2013, 09:55 PM
I held off posting, as I was not sure where my post would end up. But it looks like things are getting back to normal around here:)

Talley
Good eye. I did not see this before. Thank you. It has got me thinking more about composition. This is the kind of C&c I need. Thank you friend.

Karen
Thank you. I'm using a w/c paper coated with pumice/acrylic mix. Pastels are Rembrandt and sennlier. Size something close to 8 x 11. I often just prepare one large sheet of paper and do multiple painting on it. Later I will cut them out to size. The small scraps are used for thumbnails.

Pam
Thank you. I'm so very glad you enjoyed it:)

J.D.
08-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Lovely yellows against those greys. And I like curve and movement you've achieved in the petals which is another nice contrast against the strong horizontal of the fence.

a small compositional point, the two upper petals and unopened bud are all pointing to upper right, leading my eye away. if the bud were repositioned a bit it could help to bring the eye back into the painting to roam around a bit more and enjoy it longer.

nice painting, J.D.

Talley
your commit really inspired me. I had taken some reference photos of some of the other flowers in my neighbor's garden. my plan was to do a little set of flower paintings. but I got to thinking... maybe instead of doing a set of individual painting i would do a few mini painting on one paper, and each one leading the eye into the other. so, that said, this is what I came up with.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2013/1304943-neighbors_flowers.jpg

Here is the directions that I intended the eye to travel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2013/1304943-neighbors_flowers_demo.jpg

I would love to here any thoughts on this:) C&C welcome.:)

P.S.
The darks are a little cooler in real life, creating more of a contrast. something must have happened in cyber space:confused: It may just be my monitor too, it looked good elsewhere.:confused: