PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Tony Perrotta
09-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi all you pastel guys, As I said a while ago I was thinking about doing pastels. Well I have the pastel paper, and the Rembrant pastels. One question is can I use watercolor paper that I happen to have anyway? As for painting, I have read quite a bit about it. Can I start as in oil painting, a sketch, underpainting values and keep on building from there? Hope to try it soon.

Thanks Tony:) :)

Greeble
09-15-2003, 05:43 PM
I hope its ok to use watercolor paper, cause I have been :)

Don't tell anyone!

Jen

Dyin
09-15-2003, 06:36 PM
shh...I've used it too...but nice to get some sanded paper too...I'm more of an oil pastelist but there are a lot of ways to go about it...dee_artist does underpaintings with complements...find threads started by her on her profile page to find that thread...just mainly get in there and have fun seeing what they'll do...Rembrandts are nice middle pastels...not too hard or soft...should go well on the WC paper but expect to have a lot of 'holes' which you can use to your advantage knowing this ahead of time...

angeline
09-15-2003, 06:45 PM
I have used wc paper with art spectrum primer painted on.....worked well!

sundiver
09-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by angeline
I have used wc paper with art spectrum primer painted on.....worked well!

Ditto for me. I sometimes find watercolor paper has a rougher tooth than I'd prefer, so I often do an underpainting- usually just smear around the first layer with a brush and water or alcohol.

blissfullyunaware
09-16-2003, 10:04 AM
I love threads like this one.... so many nuggets of knowledge! :clap: :clap: You guys are so generous with your experiences... thank you! Sharon

Tony Perrotta
09-16-2003, 04:00 PM
OK Thanks, I'll just give it a try and see what happens.

Tony:)