PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Thursday August 8 2013****

Lulu
08-08-2013, 02:24 AM
Okay, Geoff hasn't fronted so......
Happy Wash Day everyone:wave:
Fabulous day, it's really meant to be winter still here but no - sunshine and 18C today :thumbsup:
Am a woman on a mission.....loving having a big purge! lol

Yorky
08-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Good morning Lulu and all to follow.

I'ts a lovely morning here, sunshine a wispy clouds.

We had a purge when we got the decorator in Lulu, and Ruth keeps getting on at me for the state of the garage :rolleyes:

Art class this morning, they will be painting a rose. I will do a demo of the technique first and give them an outline of the sketch.

Doug

shipbroker
08-08-2013, 03:34 AM
Morning all.

Lovely day here too no plans yet

geoff

doppler
08-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi Lulu. The Ekka (Brisbane Exhibiton aka Agricultural Show ) westerlies started today on cue but they aren't cold. Just enough to ruffle the hair glue and wonder if I am wearing a petticoat ... which is pretty difficult since I wear trouser suits to work.

Doug, Roger and I do purges like that. Mass migration of stuff to be found later where we stashed it and wonder why we kept it. Keeps us guessing. :lol: Active minds. :clear:

Geoff :wave: Envy your caravanning. Mum and Dad did that for 15 years after retirement. In this country.

The big dump of topsoil comes tomorrow and the diggy thing. Will be able take photos. I can't get dirty because I have to drive my friend to Samford and do the now extended shopping trip, and NO Roger, I am not using a new shovel. :lol: I shall stand on the previous cascades and watch the soil being dumped over the Great Wall into the lower bed and will tut tut as everyone but me shovels stuff into the upper bed. Mind you, they start at seven, so I might put on my gardening clothes and just do it. :thumbsup: I have a guilt complex.

BBL

laudesan
08-08-2013, 05:16 AM
Hello

Char Thank you.

Today, I had an ophthalmologists appointment, and he told me he was so proud of me. 20/20 vision. Glaucoma pressure is a little high, but I always had high levels, so I'm not worried.

I had a dentist appointment earlier in the week, and all I needed was a scale and clean. yay.

The rest of me is plodding. My immune system threw a hissy fit again. I hate to say, to be honest, seeing as so many of our friends are fighting for their lives.

I had to take Guinevere and Monty to the vets this week. Both have mild kidney problems. Monty's is a worry as he has urinary tract problems so can't have the kidney diet. Both kitties have hyperactive thyroids, and for some reason both their levels are too low. A reduction in meds was ordered. They are amazing furkids, both 18 years old. Monty is 19 next month, Guinevere is 19 in February.

I did do a little sketching today, on the way home from my appointments.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2013/22284-1098398_10151855531422975_1814689337_n.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2013/22284-Storm_water_drain.jpg

I wandered down into a storm water drain ;-)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2013/22284-Storm_water_ditch_Cannon_Hill_Bowls_Club_a.JPG

Love - hugs - healing vibes to all in need.

Thinking of you :heart:

NancyR
08-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Good morning. We are on our mini vacation, and something from dinner did not agree with me. It is wonderful to have free wifi and an iPad mini to play with until I can go back to sleep.

So far, the machines are winning. However we have comped rooms and free dinners. So far, my leg is holding out ok. The cane helps.

Geoff, we have the same beliefs of there being an afterlife. A few years ago, I had a butterfly that would Landon me every time I went outside. It would even land on me. After some research, I found out that many believe it is a spirit visiting you.

Our computers at work were hacked, so I cannot even check my e-mails. :evil:

Annie, the new area is going to be beautiful. I am afraid the drop offs would get to me.

Lulu, I have been purging lately. We just have too much stuff.

Hugs to all those in need.

Scene Chaser
08-08-2013, 06:46 AM
Good Day All,

Quiet and overcast.

Nice photos, JJ.

I have plans but I must wait also for my orders.

Speaking of butterflies, I chased this Giant Swallowtail down two days ago. It has a five inch wingspan. It finally posed for me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2013/83119-Giant_Swallowtail_-_Copy.JPG

Bill

Uschi
08-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Pressed a button, don't know which one, and the post disappeared, good thing I wasn't too far down yet. So

Good Morning!!

Sun is shining brightly, it will feel hot because it is quite humid. Big thunderstorms, including tornados, going through Ontario yesterday, luckily we escaped.

My turn to provide coffee and cake for the scrabble ladies. I am going to make a yeast based peach cake. Haven't made that in many years so hope it turns out.

Bill, five inches, that is a big one. This years is weird here, no bees, barely a butterfly, haven't seen one Monarch and yet we are forbidden to use herbicide or pesticide (can't even buy it) :confused:

JJ, I admiore you for being such an avid sketcher:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Annie, almost there:thumbsup:

95% of my "stuff" is hobby related, the stained glass that I might use for some garden art, the glass for pendants I might use for a nice plate, materials for sewing, I have already given away two large bags, wool, and most of it is painting related (massive) including all sorts of frames and, of course, framed and unframed paintings.

I visited a seniors' home yesterday where people share a room and was wondering where on earth I would put my "stuff" if I ever were in a situation where I'd have to live in a place like that and thought to myself "no wonder people are sitting listlessly around, they have no "stuff" to play with:evil: :crying:

Doug, Hug to you for bringing these kind of people alive!! Just don't make it a very "white" rose, it might end up blue:lol: :lol:

Hi Lulu and Geoff!!!

:wave: and thinking of our sick friends!!!

Uschi

Strawberry Wine
08-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Good Day Washers !

The sun is shining and it is starting to warm up somewhat. We had a bit of rain yesterday but the severe storms were well east of us. The park that we will be camping in, come Sunday, was under a Tornado warning.

Lulu your winter temperatures are just a little cooler than our summer ones. :confused:

Bill we had an influx of the these butterflies last Spring NIce shot !

Uschi, we have lots of bees as usual, both bumble bees and honey bees. Yellow Swallow Tails mostly and the Monarchs should be stopping by in a week or two. I loved your blue, white rose :thumbsup:

Nancy, enjoy your mini holiday.

Doug, we have a loft of "stuff" that we need to go through Have been saying for a few years now. :)

I am hankering for some scones this morning so I better get mixing.

:wave: to Geoff, JJ, Annie, and those on their way in. BBL

Cheers,

Gail

olliewood0702
08-08-2013, 08:22 AM
HELLO EVERYBODY!:wave:

It's gray and cool this morning but the humidity has left. I think they are saying sunshine at some point today.:confused:

It's amazing how much "stuff" we accumulate over the years. And NEVER use...it gets put away somewhere and never re-surfaces again. We are still purging in our basement and closets.

JJ, what great sketches and photos. I hope you're feeling much better now.:heart:

LuLu, have fun purging!

Annie, let the men do the heavy shoveling...you just watch and give orders; it's something we women do so well.:evil:

Uschi, I hope your peach cake turns out good. It sounds delicious! I loved ALL of your rose paintings. BEAUTIFUL!

Nancy, enjoy your mini vacay! I hope your playing turns out well for you.

Doug, Larry's garage STILL has too much "stuff". I'm after him to purge even more.;)

Bill, did you get your "orders" yet? That is a beautiful butterfly pic!

Gail, I'm sure glad you didn't receive any tornado warnings where you live. I hope Char didn't either. We didn't receive any severe weather here.

Have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE!:wave: :heart:

wcartistsr
08-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Good Morning! Yesterday was beautiful and hopefully today will be the same. We have had so much cool, cloudy weather. Not right as July is really our summer here in Michigan.

So where have I been lately? Not here, I guess, although I have scanned some of the washes. We have had our granddaughter a couple of days this past week. Went to Center to play with the hands-on exhibits and out to lunch. Played lots of games.

I am continuing to work on the Ancestry. My mother wrote and published a book on her family years ago and I am now looking at her side of the family to see what is on line. She has much more info than I can find there, gleaned over years of visiting cemeteries and looking in libraries, as well as writing to some relatives. Still writing a bit on my book of memories. I am close to being born.

We work in the garden from time to time, weeding, pruning, and trying to keep ahead of the deer. They came through the other night and ate buds off the hosta. It is hard to keep ahead of the buds. Don sprays every 2-3 weeks which keeps them from eating the leaves, but buds are another story.

Thinking of all of you that are struggling with medical issues.
Bill, I loved the picture of your butterfly. We have seen monarch's this year on our butterfly bushes. Last year they were absent. They also love the coneflowers. We have a hummingbird that also likes to come and sample.
Uschi-I have had the same thought about where I would put my stuff in a care facility and what would I have to leave behind. I would need a room just for my art and sewing thngs. Yes, that is why people in those places are probably bored. No place to have fun.

Off to start the day. Have a good one.

Shirley

CharM
08-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Good morning Washers! Cloudy and warmish this morning in the SW of Ontario with lots of humidity. Yesterday's storms skirted us, so there was some watering that had to be done.

The Kids are off to respective jobs... someone is coming here shortly to pick up the computer desk that we've sold on Kijiji.

I plan to paint, but it'll be walls in the basement rooms... Sheesh, I hate that job. I shouldn't complain because we haven't freshened the house in more than 15 years, so it's not as bad as I'm whining about... :lol:

We found the perfect sofa bed for the Kids... It will provide them with seating for their little lounge area as well as a place for guests to sleep.

I'm a big fan of the *Purge*, Lulu! :) My family, not so much...

Doug, I wish you could see Ted's garage! :eek:

Hiya Geoff... have a great day no matter your lack of plans!

Annie... I'm sure they'll all do fine if you don't shovel today... but, I'll bet money you did... :p

Hi JJ... littered garbage drives me crazy, too... I never thought that sketches of it would look nice... :lol:

Hi Nancy... :crossfingers: for some winnings!

What a beautiful shot of that Swallowtail, Bill!

That cake sounds so good, Uschi! My Grandmother used to make one with sliced apples on top... mmmm....

Tornadoes were spotted around Orillia yesterday, Gail! There are precious few butterflies and bees here as well... and we had no hummers this year... and the purple martins moved on without nesting here... :(

Darla, I told Ted that the benefit of Magoo returning home is that it's forcing us to deal with all this *stuff*!!! What's happening with your basement?? Are you restoring it again?

So... the day awaits my attention... time to go... Have a great day, everyone!

shipbroker
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
We too has a loft full of stuff from when we moved in 18 years ago. However the Government have a free loft insulation programme and it gave the incentive to clear everything out.

geoff

LynnM
08-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi all! Just a quick hello, we are heading out the door to the harbour, and historic Ft. William this aft. Thinking of you all....

Uschi
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
That cake sounds so good, Uschi! My Grandmother used to make one with sliced apples on top... mmmm....

Char, the recipe is for apples but I have done it with peaches and plums. Has a brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter crumble on top which I cut that in half because we don't need THAT much sugar. I really like the yeast based dough.
:thumbsup: for the sofa bed. There was also a tornado in Arthur.

HOPEFULLY the dough is rising as we speak:lol: If it doesn't turn out I'll just have to make a mad dash to Zehr's:)

Gail, I told you, Balsam lake is the meeting center for all thunderstorms:) I really hope the weather is GREAT when you go there.

Hi Shirley!!!

I have to sweep the kitchen floor and then do a bit of dead heading.

:wave: Uschi

villagernb
08-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Good afternoon everyone.

Just about to go out for a walk. It's overcast here and coolish. Hard to tell what it will be like down in Cormier Cove--more sheltered from coastal breezes than we are at the top of the hill--I'm often fooled into overdressing and die in the heat down in the Valley. I like to think the heat melts body fat!:evil: :lol:

JJ, super sketches and I like your sketching kit also; beautiful yellow tote bag! I have the same stool. I used to have two, but I broke one. Must have exceeded its recommended weight limit!:eek: :rolleyes:

Bill, beautiful butterfly shot! Would make a lovely painting.

Uschi, I just saw your series of rose paintings this morning. They are all lovely. I am especially partial to the warm colours.
I also make a similar cake (a platz?) Mine is made with baking soda, and I use whatever "fall" fruits I have on hand. Haven't made one for a long time. mmm?? Now I'm drooling!:)

It's getting unpleasantly cloudy outside. Better get a move on.

SYL

Anne

Uschi
08-08-2013, 12:26 PM
I like to think the heat melts body fat!:evil: :lol: Anne

LOL Anne, actually it is the other way around, shivering uses energy and therefore uses up calories.

Also thanks to all of you who commented on my roses. Anne, I lean toward the warm too, that is why I did the warm white first.

Well, the cake has risen, is baked, smells and looks delicious, should take a photo, maybe I will. I mean it is not often that I exert myself like that in the cooking/baking department, should show off when I do:lol:

:wave: Uschi

Scene Chaser
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Uschi, so what happened to the rose paintings? Was one accepted?
Bill

JudyL
08-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Hi :wave:

Back from my walk and had my Scottish Oatmeal (with raisins and fat free half & half) and about to take my shower, before working on the kid painting (really need to get clothes on those kids) and then attempt to do one of my graduate people painting for a cousins son. I am going to try it on a black canvas. (white on black)

mustache

olliewood0702
08-08-2013, 04:24 PM
The sun has come out and it's been lovely all day; I cannot wait to get out of work. The temp is 75F.:cool:

I think we'll have BLT sandwiches for dinner tonight. Something light and delicious.:thumbsup: Larry is planning on going in early again and he has to work Saturday but has Sunday off.

Tomorrow is FINALLY FRIDAY!:clap: The weekend is predicted to be mid- 70's F and dry and sunny. Perfect weather.;)

Char, nothing at all has happened in the basement...yet! UGH...with Larry wanting to do the work himself it'll take a long time to finish it.:rolleyes: We are unsure of what we want to put on the floors but are leaning toward a product that is all vinyl and looks like wood. It's waterproof. :thumbsup: My art stuff is still in chaos...grumble....grumble.:(

Have a great rest of your afternoon/morning/evening.:wave: :heart:

Lulu
08-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm a big fan of the *Purge*, Lulu! :) My family, not so much...

Me too Char! wonderful feeling, my purges don't get moved to another part of the house, they get moved to the wheelie bin...........but John confessed last night that he retrieved 3 things......:lol: :lol:
I have a lot of creative related 'stuff' too, but am only keeping art stuff now.......but I have enough for Africa..........:rolleyes:

Darla, it is already Friday here!:thumbsup:

Lynn, hello :wave: hope you are having a nice holiday.

Loved the butterfly Bill.

Good sketching JJ.

Well it's a glorious morning here, blue sky and going for 18C again, must go do my usual half hour of yoga, have my porridge, so will :wave: to everyone and get on with it.

Yorky
08-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Hi folks, there is a problem with the site, mods are reporting disappearing threads and pm's. It has been reported.

Doug

WthrLady
08-08-2013, 07:27 PM
also logging out and not recognizing you when you try to log back in......

Yorky
08-09-2013, 02:49 AM
The site is going haywire, posts are disappearing and appearing in the wrong threads etc. :eek:

Doug

ColinS
08-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Greetings from the Acrylics forum where some of your posts ended up, including a very nice painting be Olliewood called 'Ben Reading' which appeared on my thread Tuscan Quilt. Sadly the entire thread seems now to have vanished in the past 5 minutes.

Cheers

Colin

Yorky
08-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Thankyou Colin and greetings to the Acrylics members :)

The site has gone crazy, posts popping up everywhere :rolleyes:

Doug

olliewood0702
08-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Colin, I didn't post any painting in your thread. :lol:I went to look and it's not even there. VERY STRANGE.....:confused:

WFMartin
08-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Original poster's question: Can someone tell me the point of water soluble oil paint vs regular oil paint?

Yes, it is a marketing ploy that involves the engineering of a product that is claimed to miraculously solve a problem that never existed.

That in a nutshell, is the true, "point" of water soluble oil paint. Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10-foot mahl stick.:lol:

You wanna' wash your oil paint brushes with soap and water? Well, go ahead and do it with traditional oil paint. They wash like a dream--in soap and water. And, from the experiences reported by some who have used water miscible oil paint, the paintings (the true "point" of using paint) created with them seem to be a lot more problematic regarding appearance, handling, and drying, than with traditional oil paint.