PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Wednesday 7th August 2013 ***

Yorky
08-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Good morning all - we're late! I was surprised no one had started the Wash by 8.15. I suppose Geoff is in deepest Lincolnshire and Annie is shovelling alfalfa :)

A taupe sky here though dry and a pleasant 12C/55F. We'll be taking our postponed trip to Southport this morning no doubt.

Hugs to all under the weather.

Doug

doppler
08-07-2013, 03:32 AM
Good evening Doug and all to follow.

No shovelling for me ... At least until Friday. Just hauling hacked down banana plants up steep hill for mulching at our neighbours place. Wot fun :lol: :lol: But a beer after helped.:thumbsup:

Our landscaping is almost done. Topsoil and diggy thing will arrive early Friday. the steppes are finished and very easy to negotiate but we have worked out that in our more infirm years we will need a handrail. They (the infirm years) will start after soil shovelling on Friday :cool::lol: There will be more piccies.

It has been warm and beautifully clear here today and rather too much like spring weather for this time of year. We will take what we get, no choice.

BBL

Lulu
08-07-2013, 03:45 AM
Hi Doug and Annie,
Very mild here too for this time of the year, hoping that it stays like it now. :crossfingers: Much to do in the garden, just getting round to pruning the roses, which really should have been done a month ago, but experience has taught me that it doesn't really matter, they just bloom later but the blooms are just as good.
We borrowed a diggy thing from next door the other day Annie, saw it doing some work there so finally got the driver to bring it our way and dig the space required for a new culvert in our driveway.
All the roun2it jobs are getting done now lol

shipbroker
08-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Looked in about 0700 thought it risky amd went back to bed!

Bright sunshine and 20C here, no plans but did start a painting last evening.

geoff

Yorky
08-07-2013, 04:07 AM
Hi Geoff. Sun is breaking through here too.

Hi Annie, hi Lulu :wave:

Doug

Lulu
08-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Risky Geoff?? What are you frightened of............

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2013/1118-floppyears.jpg

:p haha

CJMonty
08-07-2013, 05:00 AM
A very mild day here to start with, then there were periods of dark rain clouds which literally dropped it's wares all around us but not on us :(.

I went down to my Audiologist so she could asses how my New Hearing Aids are doing, and adjusted a few things in the programming of them to reduce the White Noise I was getting. I must say though, I am soooo pleased with my New Ears, it's amazing that something so compact, can be so full of Technology. They are sooo good at filtering out the extraneous unwanted noise and can make peoples voices so very crisp and clear. Those of you out there that wear hearing aids must know how hard it is to try to hear someone speaking when you have the winds being amplified in both ears. These hearing aids are amazing, I can stand outside in really windy weather, if one aid picks up that there is a gale blowing in your ear, it comunicates with the other to see if it is hearing the same and blocks it for you, and hey presto you can hear voices again or whatever else it was you were listening to. I can also answer the phone now and not get any squealing feed back, and I can hear the person on the phone really clearly, so no more having to take them out to answer the phone, which the more hearing I lost the harder that was.

It is raining quite heavily outside right now, wonderful to hear, although it's not helping when it comes to weed pulling which I desparately need to do before they all flower and set seed, but we need this wonderful rain so very badly. In fact I will take the opportunity next break to put some fertilizer onto my New Roses.

I know there are a lot of you out there are patiently waiting for some photographs of my Garden, I will try to take some, but at the moment just about everything is in it's green faze, so it will be awhile before there are any Flowers on anything. There are about 6 Iris Flowers out, and if this rain and these winds don't blow them all away I will try to take some photos tomorrow, but there may be a delay in showing you as I will have to try to put them onto my laptop, then onto here.

The rain is so heavy just now that we have lost our Sattelite Signal temporarily right in the Middle of Time Team. HUH!!!!!!!!

We have had a pretty hectic couple of weeks to say the least, friends of ours, (a good bit younger than us) whom we see at least once a week for Coffee, well they lost their 14 year old son, unfortunately he took his own life (won't say anymore than that). We went to breakfast with them on Monday, and although Fragile they seem to be coming along. That must be every Parent's Nightmare, I was totally gobsmacked for a couple of days.

Doug, Ruth will appreciate this next bit, I am coming to the end of the stitching side of things of 140 finely detailed 14 count cross stitch pictures which are also finely detailed further with Backstitching, and believe it or not, no 2 are the same. I started them about 4 years ago and deliberately did not have a Deadline of when they were to be completed, I did this deliberately so that I would not put myself under pressure and this allowed me to be able to get on with numerous other projects that I enjoy doing. I have 2 more pictures to needlework, the next phase is to cut them into the shape they are supposed to leaving behind a seam allowance. I then need to cut out a matching number of wadding shapes one to go with each picture. I will then sew these all together. The next phase is to cut out Felt backings in various colours, then I am going to Buttonhole stitch each one together including a Loop of Ribbon (which I have in Red, Green and Yellow and edged with Gold Trim) which they can be hung on a Christmas Tree by. Ruth if you have any other ideas regarding putting on the Felt backings I will most definitely consider them. I now have a Deadline, I am going to have them all completed by the end of the Year. My next plan is to wrap each one individually in Christmas wrapping (discretely marked M & F to indicate Gender), then put a Christmas Tag on each one addressed to each individual Infant from me for Christmas. By the way they are Christmas Tree hangers. With Christmas being a week day I will not be working it, so I will get Monty to come down with me, ( I will get permission for him to be able to come into the Nursary with me in order to give them out, I will arrange beforehand who to give some spares to so any New admissions to the Unit don't miss out)

Well Guys, I have well and truly waffled on forever today, so sorry to those of you who have already either given up reading or fallen asleep.

I will say cheerio for now and go and peel some spuds (for mash) to go with the Pork Sausages, fat ones of course and peas. YUMmmmmmm

Take Care.
Lots of Love Carolynn :):grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::heart::heart::heart::wave::clap::thumbsup::heart::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Lulu
08-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Hi Carolynn, I thought you were going to tell us that if a wind was blowing in one ear, it just whipped on through to the other! :D I do know how wonderful hearing-aids are though, I would otherwise not be able to communicate very well with John. I can't whisper things to him when we are out any more though, and I miss that:)

How utterly devastating to lose a child to suicide :eek: Very very hard to come to terms with.

Edit: Uschi, I have just been clearing out a whole lot of loose paper.....I came across instructions on how you painted a red poppy! Must be years old, and I put it back in my folder.:)

Scene Chaser
08-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Good Day All,

We are in the midst of a very heavy rain with thunder and lightening.
Ms. Feral is sitting at the door screen watching it.

Will BBL,
Bill

laudesan
08-07-2013, 07:13 AM
:wave:

Scene Chaser
08-07-2013, 07:21 AM
JJ :wave:

Lynn/LC wanted this. Taken a minute ago.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2013/83119-Ms._Feral_comfortable.JPG

Notice the screen door is open.:cat:

I guess I'll be working in the basement today. I might even paint.

Bill

Ellen in Ont
08-07-2013, 08:35 AM
:wave: everyone,
I've been moving slowly recovering from a weekend if nightshifts and now that I have a little energy back, I'm back to nights tonight.:rolleyes: I spent most of the day yesterday snuggled in a chair watching you tube videos on painting (The Forgers Masterclass) and on dyeing scarves. I am going to try a couple of ideas on dyeing today. Painting will have to wait until the weekend though.

It is grey and looks like it's going to rain any minute here. At least it's not too cold. This has been a summer of fall weather. I have only had one zucchini from my five bushes. There are a few small green tomatoes but nothing is growing or ripening. :(

Carolynn - that is so sad that a child would feel there is no other way to cope than to take his own life. :(

Bill - great photo. I hope she is adjusted enough to the indoors to allow you to close the door this winter.

Lulu - I hope you find a place perfect for the next stage in your lives. Brian wants to move farther south once we are both retired. I can't stand heat with humidity though so we have to find a compromise somewhere between 4 - 6 hours south from us. :D

I am going to answer some email and then start working on some scarves. Have a great day.

olliewood0702
08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Hello Washers! HAPPY HUMP DAY !!

It's dark and raining with thunder and lightning. A nice shower. I can almost feel AUTUMN in the air.

I had baked cupcakes last night for my boss's birthday today. We are all pitching in and making something. I walked out and left them on my counter.:confused: So...I was 5 minutes from work when I realized it and went all the way back home to get them. I was 15 minutes late for work. It won't matter though as I always am 1/2 hour early every morning. I didn't want to not participate after all I had over-cooked one batch last night and at 9pm had to make another batch! Our boss has had a lot of stress lately as his Mom is dying of brain cancer and lives in Turkey and he lives here. He's trying to handle everything from here but flew there a couple of weeks ago and will be going again soon. So we thought we'd surprise him and have pizza and goodies today.

Carolynn, I'm glad your hearing aids are working so well for you. Not being able to hear can be awful. What a great thing to do; make the cross stitched ornaments for all the young ones for Christmas! I bet they are lovely. I'm so sorry about your friend's son's suicide. What a terrible tragedy.

Ellen, when Larry and I retire we think we'll spend a couple of months during the worst of the winter down south; probably near our boys. We are hoping that will be possible but we'll have to wait and see. We will sell our house and get a small apartment or condo here. If Jen and Matt move north like they are talking about doing it won't really matter if we stay here or not. They won't move though until the two older girls graduate form high school.

Hello Doug, have a safe trip to Southport!:wave:

Geoff, no blue ears today for you.....whew. ;)

LuLu, good for you getting those honey-do things done.

Bill, what a great pic of Ms Feral supervising from her perch.:D

Hi Annie, that is good you are planning on a handrail for your steep steps...especially as you get older and more un-stable. (someday)

Hi there JJ; I hope you're doing well.

I have to go back to my chiropractor tonight after work for another adjustment. My back and neck was pretty bad last week and he wanted to see me in a week. I have an appointment with my ortho doc next Monday but I might cancel. He said if I don't think I will need PT(physical therapy) then I can cancel the appt. It's not back to normal and probably won't ever be but if I'm not having the surgery then why waste my time and his? He seemed to be persuading me against surgery. My son says get a second opinion. I just don't want to have to have a knee replacement in the near future.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

I'm sending ((())) to all of you in need...and I know there are many.:grouphug:

BBL:wave: :heart:

CharM
08-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Good morning Washer Buds... I am sick unto death of cool and cloudy days... I want some summer before it's fall... possible severe thunderstorms are predicted... :mad:

Two FULL loads (truck loads) of garbage, recyclables and donatable clothing have gone to the transfer station. It boggles my mind why, oh why, do we hang onto things we know perfectly well we don't want and don't need.

One alpaca has big eyes with a fur coat and another has her eyes finished... they're both telling me to get the third's eyes done too... that will happen today. :)

This kids have gone to town as Britt has a job interview and then has to go to work later this afternoon... in between times, we'll all do the Thrift Store thing to see if we can find them a much needed couch. Progress is being made and they are getting excited...

Ted disassembled a big computer desk that was downstairs. It's a beautiful thing, actually, in cherry and grey... I photographed it before it came down and posted it on Kijiji... It's sold! The buyers are picking it up tomorrow. Bonus.

A taupe sky... what an interesting picture you've placed in my mind's eye, Doug!!!

:wave: Annie, Lulu and Geoff...

What a wonderful project, Carolynn! I'd love to see a photo of the decorations in progress and then finished!!! I'm so sorry about your friends' loss... It wrenches my heart that such a young person feels there is no other option and we, as adults, can't see or recognize the signs (if there are even any to see)... It's just too sad.

Hi Bill... Ms. Feral is such a joy...

Ellen, you know I'm looking forward to having you and Brian move a little closer! Did you see the Carol Carter Workshop Event in Michigan??? Magoo has an opportunity (hopefully) to work full time nights...

That's a thoughtful gesture, Darla... HHD to you, btw...

Saw your sketches on FB, JJ... they look good...

Well, life is moving ahead without me, so I'd better join in... :) I hope that everyone has the best possible day! :heart:

Yorky
08-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Well, the low cloud was soo burnt off and it has been a lovely day. Took a trip into Southport and came back with 12 - 100g balls of wool - should keep Ruth busy for a couple of weeks :) Had a lovely snack at the Town Gardens Cafe (5286838162354044)on Lord Street after Ruth gave some instructions to an 83 year old who was learning to crochet.

Just been sorting out my online banking after receiving a letter from the bank.

Doug

Clara McArthur
08-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Good Morning all,

Cool this morning with a grey sky, no taupe to be seen! Had the "Tree Monkeys" in yesterday to trim the spruce trees along the south sid of the yard. Big job! and well done. The trees are really too big and mature for a garden but it is a busy street and acts as a buffer so we keep them but we have to have them pruned back and trimmed. We had one along the front taken down last week as it was leaning over the fence.

Plan to do more raking and cleaning where the stump was and adding topsoil and planting grass today.

Carolyn, so sad about your friend's son, tragic really. Don't we all wish we could have seen the signs when we hear of something like this.

The Ms.Feral cat looks very peaceful, I think she will be a pet soon .

villagernb
08-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Good afternoon, everyone.

Busy trying to catch up on chores the last two days; have only just now had a chance to skim through yesterday's and today's Washes.

Lynn/LC, I'll try to pick out a photo of the Mother of the Groom that I can bear to share with the World on WC!:lol: The Bride and Groom are much more photogenic. I also have photos of Don and I doing the Grouse Grind! I did it and survived, and was very :smug: with myself too, but I certainly didn't set any speed records!

Darla, thank you for looking at my wedding pics. It's not every day your only child gets married!:clap: :clap:

Bill, thank you for the sweet photo of Ms. Feral. You are the best "pet parent" ever!:heart:

Trying to get back into some sort of routine. Just received an email from a friend in Fredericton who says her email program could not receive the wedding photos that I sent to her and numerous others. Everyone else seems to have received them, so I'll have to see what I can do for her! Always something!

BBL

Anne

New Gamboge
08-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Good morning - another eautiful day, but with a few wispy clouds. Did some more staining this morning before the sun got onto the house - not the 3 hours I did yesterday, that was too much. Probably a couple of more days to finish what I can reach.

Carolynn - what a wonderful thing you are doing - when Katja was born and in NICU, she got a beautiful hand made quilt - the Victoria Quilters make them for all the NICU infants - it certainly cheered us up. So sorry to hear of your friends' loss.

Anne - glad you enjoyed Granville Island and Opus when you were in Vancouver. Yes, it is easy to spend money there! And congratulations for doing the Grouse Grind, I never did it when I lived over there.

For those of you on night shift, please watch David Suzuki's Nature of Things "Lights Out" - there are things that can be done to reduce the harm.

Bill - Ms Feral looks extremely at home.
HAWLTAIN - Betty :cat:

Uschi
08-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Good Afternoon!!

Gray first thing in the morning, then a heavy downpour, then sun and warm. Turned into a lovely day and the added bonus, I don't have to water my garden!!!

Apart from that stinking hot week earlier on, this is THE summer for people like me who don't like heat. :heart: :heart:

Since I have been retired I no longer like long weekends especially since they rob me of my favorite activity - table tennis. Back to it today :heart: :heart:

Had a visit from my SIL and her brother who live in Toronto. Was nice seeing them again.

I remembered a stretch for the buttock muscles that I used to do and somehow along the way I stopped doing it, probably because it is quite painful BUT it sure helps to loosen up those muscles, so I am doing it every day again. Physio this evening, she will be happy with me:)

I have read everything, in my mind made the appropriate comments but am tired now, will eat some fruit and then rest a bit.

Oh, one comment - Bill, you have three months to somehow teach this spoilt brat of yours to stay in without the door open. First thing I saw in the photo:evil: :lol: How about some sedatives to get her started??????

:wave: Uschi

Scene Chaser
08-07-2013, 03:29 PM
While baking two dozen banana choc chip walnut muffins this morning, I discovered a new species of bird, I call it the Downy Hummingbird.

Taken through my screen window.

Bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2013/83119-Downy_Humming_Bird.JPG

Yorky
08-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Great shot Bill.

Doug

WthrLady
08-07-2013, 04:07 PM
LOL!

Sweet Tooth Downey!

One of DHs Captains is married to a corn farmer. She brought me 2 dozen ears, picked this morning. Parboiled, vacuum sealed, and already frozen.

The next few weeks I'll tackle pears, apple butter, pickles, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, and chicken soup. PHEW.

I've managed a couple of diary doodles, but nothing down in the studio YET. I plan on designing a new studio logo too. I can diary doodle that.

Off to read the wash :D
Have a nice evening all :D

New Gamboge
08-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Hi Bill - it's a female downy or hairy woodpecker - downy has bars underneath the tail feathers, hairy is slightly larger and has a larger beak. The male's have red on their heads. Betty

Scene Chaser
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi Betty,
It's definitely a Downy Woodpecker. We have loads of them since we live in a woods. I wasn't able to see if it had red on the back of it's head which would have told me it was a male. It is an immature one from this year's crop, though.
Bill

shipbroker
08-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Evening all.

Just turning in for the night have not done a great deal apart from being a tourist and doing a little painting.

So goodnight all

geoff

JudyL
08-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi :wave:
Been busy, had to go out before Lauren could call and say they need something and "Could Grama Judy please come and ...." so I escaped, went to Target and go some supplies (beauty type) for the trip, and then to Kohl's to get a new sports bra (sorry guys...close your eyes when reading that bit) and since they were having one of their incredible sales I got some shirts for our trip(s) (I mean really REALLY good sales) then milk and...oh yes Skinny Cow chocolate bars :smug:

Now, I will work on putting clothes on the people in my painting.

Hang loose guys.

TTFN

WthrLady
08-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Judy - I hear ya..... check out KOHLS! OMG the sales there are incredible! PLUS you earn the kohls bucks, plus coupons for school supplies, PLUS scratch off tickets for instant prizes!

The boy needed some long pants. We don't own any! and he's into adult men's shirts! LOL. My buddy learned to shave last week! Turns 14 on Saturday. OH MY,,,,, time flies!

olliewood0702
08-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Judy and Caryl....I too LOVE Kohls! They have incredible sales and rewards for their good customers. I'm a good customer too.:smug: :thumbsup: I have to make myself stay away or I'm sure to purchase something whenever I enter the store.:evil:

Larry is already in bed as he has to go into work at 3am. I've just written out some bills and balanced my checkbook. I'm heading to bed early too as I didn't want to get up this morning.

He had dinner all made tonight too (I could get used to this). Hamburgers on the grill.

My poor Justin is really sick. He has bronchitis, already just since we saw him on Sunday. THey gave him antibiotics, a steroid shot and an inhaler. It always seems to go to his lungs now. (Probably due to quite a few years smoking). He's been stressed lately too and that can make you suceptable(sp?)

The rain left this afternoon and the sun came out but the humidity was horrendous. We are expecting more storms tonight and the humidity is supposed to fall...it better.

Have a great rest of your day or beginning to your new day.

Night all.:wave: :heart: