PDA

View Full Version : "Accentuate The Positive" (Paint The Negative) W.I.P.

Devoted 2Art
08-07-2013, 03:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2013/1003102-MTA_-_Step_001.jpg

:wave: Hi - It's been a long time since I've posted a WIP & I wasn't going to post this one until it's finished but I thought somebody might benefit from seeing it at this stage. It is a new challenge for me since I've not used any gouache & I've done a lot of negative painting on this.

So far this painting is mostly done in transparent glazes on Cream colored Rives BFK Heavyweight Paper. Since the glazes are in several different stages throughout the work - you can see how individual areas are given more depth as the painting progresses.

It's taken approximately 12 hours to get to this stage which is about 4-6 hours longer than I usually take on a complete painting and it's only about 9" x 12". The sketch and detailed pencil work is done with an often sharpened "B" lead in holder.

Photo was found in the RIL - I'll track it down & post credits when it's finished. This is part of my new 5 painting "Americana" series. I think it's an exciting subject.

Anyway - this is a whole new approach for me & thought I'd share what I learn.

All C & C welcome. Thanks for looking!
-John

Yorky
08-07-2013, 03:27 AM
So complicated John, a fine sketch.

I'm a little confused by the front three wheels which appear flattened where the contact the rails, although I suspect that it is just the awkward siting of a foreground fence?

Doug

Lulu
08-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Looking good John!
.....and you've got me singing the song......:D

Scotslass
08-07-2013, 04:18 AM
Looking good John - a huge and careful undertaking with this painting , you brave man!
Suzanne

pjartwc
08-07-2013, 04:43 AM
A good subject for negative painting - and you've got an excellent start.

painterbear
08-07-2013, 06:38 AM
John,
Thanks for inviting us along for the ride as you work on this lovely old steam engine's portrait.

I really like the way you've handled the background, suggesting trees and bushes without a lot of fussy detail. :thumbsup:

Sylvia

portalhome
08-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Love negative space! Nicely done. I will be interested to see this as you add to it. Thanks for sharing.

Cyntada
08-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Now I totally want to see The General (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017925/) again. Looking good, John!!

Devoted 2Art
08-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Thank you Doug, Lulu, Suzanne, Jan, Sylvia, Alice & Cyntada. No time for updates today but I had to say I really appreciate all the comments. THANKS!

Doug - I'm a bit perplexed by that area also & it may just work itself out after come more detailing. (Just in case I'll have the gesso ready:D)

Lulu - :lol:!! I didn't think anybody would know that one. It seemed to fit.

CK - I didn't know it was a movie. I may need to track that one down. Looks like a fun movie.

Thanks again everyone!
-John

olliewood0702
08-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Wow...this has tons of great details already. I think when finished it'll be super. I love all your details and negative painting. Your background is perfect.