PDA

View Full Version : Another Tonal

vac911
08-07-2013, 02:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2013/102972-marsh2.jpg

Dana Design
08-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Warm and lovely. What is your medium? And size? Always nice to visualize, size especially.

bocote
08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks for posting this Steve,

The composition here is a little middle heavy, but is good. The forms are taking shape and the viewer can make out trees, sky excitement, and reflections on water. My critique would be to portray just a bit more to help the viewer along and to keep the eyes on the canvas. Perhaps a land/water edge and some darker forms in the nearest foreground. You could also build up your paint a bit and add some stroke and impasto, but that is more style related and for you to decide.

vac911
08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Warm and lovely. What is your medium? And size? Always nice to visualize, size especially.Thanks Dana, This was an 8x10 in oils.

vac911
08-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks for posting this Steve,

The composition here is a little middle heavy, but is good. The forms are taking shape and the viewer can make out trees, sky excitement, and reflections on water. My critique would be to portray just a bit more to help the viewer along and to keep the eyes on the canvas. Perhaps a land/water edge and some darker forms in the nearest foreground. You could also build up your paint a bit and add some stroke and impasto, but that is more style related and for you to decide.

Thanks for your input Bryan. I had already darkened the darkest darks after I uploaded and I can see where your suggestions would make it better.

dgford
08-08-2013, 03:21 AM
This painting doesn't quite make it with me. Why not? Because it is demanding too much input from me to give it visual or cerebral meaning. I haven't any real indication of what it is that you are trying to communicate.

I feel that the two-way process between the artist and the viewer should, initially, demand a greater input from the artist. If the viewer then takes that in, becomes involved and takes it further then the interaction between the two is what art is all about.

I can't offer much help because I don't really know what you want to tell me.

Geoff

snoball
08-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I love the top 3/4 s of it but would like to see some dark bushes in the near ground to set the rest of the painting back. Just along the bottom left triangle.

Rocky Barnett
08-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Hello vac911. Looks like you have been experimenting with texturing? Bravo!
You are getting very nice effects. My only crit. is the pail tint used in the center/bottom: if it and the ground color in front of the right horizon were swapped for each other, it would make your aerial perspective much better.
More dark along the bottom edge would help too.
The yellow 'dot' at center may be a bit too saturated that close to the horizon, but that might be your camera making it so 'vivid'(mine does that when the batteries a little low). All in all, I'll give this a big thumbs up.:thumbsup:

Humbly
Rocky