PDA

View Full Version : Catherine

lynn_cyr
09-15-2003, 02:57 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-15-2003/15615_10.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-15-2003/15615_catherinephoto_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Catherine
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 14 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting was created for my friends as a gift; it's of their daughter Catherine.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I had a very tough time with this one, as I'm still just a beginner. The eyes were the most difficult - not sure if I got the likeness of her?

Matt Sammekull
09-15-2003, 03:26 PM
So great to see your beautiful face again... it's been a while. How are you?

Well, I think you should have another go at the eyes. They are too bright and too blue. Compare with the photo... the eyes almost lies in complete shadow. And I see no eye-white what so ever... only reds and browns... maybe a slight indication of (very) dark eye-whites next to the iris's?

The same for the teeth... maybe some more shadows over that area?

Other than that, I like the joy of this painting. It reminds me of my love for my boy.

Good to see you again!!!!!!!

Hugs,

//Matt

Aselka
09-15-2003, 04:43 PM
I do like nice soft pastel colors. Very lovely painting. I would leave eyes as it is. It is hard to do any cprrections in watercolor. Maybe darken irises, it would add vivdness to eyes.

some shading on hands in elbow area and around armpits would create even more depth, also shadows under her hand on the dress are missing.

Bakground could have more color, purple shades to connect it with girls dress and unite composition.

Very warm and lovely portrait, and greta likeness.
I love your children's portraits.

Aselka

dudley_d
09-16-2003, 06:40 AM
I love the excitement of this work. The color, composition and overall look is great. I do feel it needs depth. More darks posibly in the background?

IMHO

cheers:clap: :clap:

jerryW
09-16-2003, 01:00 PM
spreading out the contrasts more evenly
more on skin
less on eyes
this has lots of correlation with the original source.

lynn_cyr
09-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Thank you!! :D

Matt: As I've told you time and time again, you're truely the master of portraits! :) Thanks for the great feedback! Whites of the eyes... yes, they were definately missing and I tried fixing it a bit. As far as the eyes being too blue, I think you're right, but very difficult to fix in Watercolors. I cannot scrub any more, or I'll leave a hole in the paper :(

Aselka: Thanks! It's very tough to make corrections in w/c, as you know... but I did add some purple to the background. Perhaps too much purple, but I do like it much better - what do you think? (btw, I now see that one side is more purple than the other... will fix that!)

Dudley: Thanks for taking the time to look and commenting :)

Jerry: I agree. I added a bit more contrast to the face, which I think helped. I'm afraid of adding too much to the face, however, because she's a baby... I want to keep the "youth" look. How does it look now?

Here's an update, thanks to the wonderful feedback:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2003/15615-11.jpg

Lynn

Matt Sammekull
09-17-2003, 12:00 PM
I think those small adjustments did a lot for the painting. And a hole in the paper is not very appealing.:) so don't overdo it!
I actually think you should leave it as it is. She looks beautiful and SO happy!!! Like every single child in the world should.

Cheers,

//matt

henrik
09-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Children are really difficult to paint and you have done really well. A few suggestions is too look at shadows; I think they are a bit too saturated in color - look around the eyes - I think it is too red.

The hair looks a bit flat and pasted on, I suggest you soften the outline a bit.

henrik
09-17-2003, 01:59 PM
One more thing, the face is oulined in blue. In the attched I reduced saturation in the background and removed the outline.

artbabe21
09-17-2003, 02:35 PM
think you locked in on a likeness, even though there are some technical things that need fixing...henrik has some good ideas

great job, beautiful child...:)
love that look of pure joy...:)

lynn_cyr
09-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Matt: Thanks for the encouragement! :) I love the pose as well, it's what attracted me to the photo in the first place.

Henrik: A million thanks for taking the time to show me the corrections! Your version looks fabulous, and has more of a likeness to the real photo. The background, yes, I do see the outline... I worked on the background a bit more to lessen the saturation (see below), but I may need to add a few more washes to get rid of the outline. As for the eyes, you've got them nailed!! I'll try to see if I can replicate this, but like I mentioned before, it's watercolor and I've already scrubbed... not sure if I can remove anything else in there :)

Cathleen: Thanks for looking and commenting! :)

Here's the update - may work on it a bit more (the colors are much more accurate on this one):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2003/15615-12.jpg

Lynn

pampe
09-17-2003, 10:02 PM
nice progression, Lynn