PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on "old" paintings.

briansommers
08-06-2013, 03:54 PM
After about 4 months of not doing much "art"

I have gotten back into it with quite some force.

I watched an awesome speech on TED about people buying the "why" you do art not the art itself. He was talking about the Why is so important then the how then finally the what..

I have FINALLY come up with why I paint abstracts, what is my "story" or what am I trying to do that is unique. I'm very excited about it.. I'm planning on putting out a highly professional website and blog and eCommerce section all built in together. I'm all over the place right now.

Because of this, the new paintings that I will be doing from now on.. will definately have a more unified voice and theme.

The question.. what to do with my "old" paintings.. do I just keep them for myself? Give them away as gifts? or have a drawing online? or ???
donate them to some cause or what else.. I feel I want all of my paintings to be in my "new" voice/style, etc. Or do I just lump them together and put them under my "archived" gallery section or something like that?

Thanks, any advice would be so very helpful
Ciao
Brian S
abstractsbybrian

stampedes
08-06-2013, 04:21 PM
when i have gotten rid of old paintings (in a move or because I'm tired of looking at them) I have found it really awesome to paint over them. The resulting paintings have been some of my best work- it's made me think that it can be valuable to let a painting evolve over several years, and that in fact they might never be "done". On the other hand, I have also found it extremely rewarding to give paintings away for free on craigslist. I did that maybe twice, and would definitely do it again. One family took a painting and said that they never would have been able to afford a "real work of art" otherwise. It was amazing to have my work so appreciated and valued. You can also trade with other artists and build something of a collection that way- always a good practice.

I tend to think it's best to hang on to old work though. It can inform (or become) the new work.

birdhs
08-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Why not repaint over them? Texture from previous paintings often adds interest.

Painting over previous paintings has a long and honored history, from the Masters on.

Canvas is expensive, why not create 'green' paintings?

reduce-reuse-recycle:D

Looking forward to your new Art,

greggo

laf.art
08-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Yes I agree with the above posters and especially go green - green is queen:).
In fact I'm in the process of repainting about 8 of mine at the moment, I love the fact that there is another painting hidden underneath - it's like a secret between me and the canvas, sometimes I let a little of the previous one merge with the new one, very satisfying

briansommers
08-10-2013, 02:00 PM
yeah.. that wonderful isn't from me either.. something is very odd.. I tapped out a long response last night from my ipad.. and it is gone.. don't remember what I said. argfgghh the joys of the net.

joe galioto
08-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Can someone post proper instructions for reusing a canvas for oil paint.
What I've done so far is just paint over using a neutral color oil paint and let it dry well.
I've read something about sanding, but have not bothered doing that yet.
Thanks

PushingPixels
08-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Someday someone may xray the work and find your hidden masterpiece underneath :)

paint over them.

laf.art
08-17-2013, 06:04 AM
PP I'd love to find one:). I've just realised that I've painted over one of my favourite paintings - this is what happens when the ideas are flowing and I've no new canvas to paint on. Hells bells,I'm so cross with myself and now I also feel pressured to make sure that this is a better painting than the one underneath = to justify my stupid action:crying: