PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if the "surreal" abstract belongs here..?

3Bak
08-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Hey there! First posting regarding critique on this site, everyone seems pretty cool on this site! Loads of information I'm processing, this is a very good thing. :thumbsup: I'm not the type that takes critique poorly so feel free to rip it apart, and if this style should be posted elsewhere let this newbie know ha, take care all!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2013/1324494-fuzzy_turd_mustache_dragon.jpg

laf.art
08-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum - your work definitely belongs here - I love the colours and the technique and look forward to seeing more:)

birdhs
08-06-2013, 04:30 PM
"Abstract and Contemporary Forum" means just that. The category is so wide open we welcome everyone.

The colors and values are very strong which works perfectly for this piece.
Eyecatchiing and vibrant, should bring a lot of attention when it is hung at the MOMA in your solo show

thanx4sharing

greggo

blackcatbattery
08-06-2013, 05:02 PM
I love the colors and the depth of form.

lobsterpot
08-07-2013, 05:28 AM
Nice clean painting though not Surrealism but Sci-Fi. Suggest you lose the shapes with the eyes and other faux animal shapes and concentrate on the type of painting you do in the background. Also, avoid being "cute" with those hanging things and all the balls--it's painful to see that.

If you want to understand Surrealism look up the early work of the original Surrealists DeChirico and Giacometti--(avoid Dali at all costs) whose work induced the kind of terror you get from nightmares--esp. DeChirico's pieces.

MySjostrandArt
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I like it a lot!

MySjostrandArt
08-07-2013, 06:34 PM
And I'm sorry to say that I disagree with all the changes lobsterpot suggested. I love it the way it is, It's original and unique with a good technique.
Don't let the art become to serious or follow a genré's guideline unless that's your real intent =)
That's my opinion
Why avoid Dali?

cmorford
08-12-2013, 08:43 PM
I like it! I like the sense of depth and perceived 3d form in the "tenticle and spheres" area...

Of course, I like Dali too so...And Magritte and Max Ernst, etc...

Good company, in my opinion.

no-one-home
08-31-2013, 07:29 PM
3BAK, welcome to WC. I too am an outlyer when it comes to the overwhelming abstract and semi-abstract and abstract-realistic posts here in this forum. I consider myself a surrealist.
A few years back, I posted some surrealism here and received essentially no feedback. I am delighted that you are getting some input.
I really like your effort which I would classify as fantasy rather than surrealism. To me surrealism deals with absurd juxtaposition of real images. Magritte is the master, DiChirico, very early Dali as well.
While the filigree is great, I have problems finding the surrealistic touches in your painting. Having said all that, keep up the good work.
If you truly believe that you want to continue into surrealism, I suggest you take a careful look at the genre that has sprouted from it - lowbrow art. Go on Google to research it. I think that the complexity of your effort could very well evolve into strong LB statements. I for one am beginning to segue that way but I am not strong on the highly complex structures of most LBs.
Good luck and keep posting.

birdhs
08-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanx for the info on LowBrow Art Movement, it was quite informative.

As with all "movements", the exact definition is elusive due to the vagueness of
definition. No matter what this art is labeled, I still like it after all this time

greggo