PDA

View Full Version : Really really long shot

Irishman
08-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I know that this is so far out there that it is almost not worth asking but I am wondering does anyone know of a way to get a watercolour DVD translated??? A programme that does translation??? I want to buy this DVD which is in French and whilst it doesn't absolutely need translation as the demo will be in some ways enough,there are obviously instructions that might be handy.I know I know….I'll get my coat.Taxi !!!

indraneel
08-06-2013, 02:40 PM
umm.. search for subtitles on the net? I wouldn't bet on it's availability for a watercolor demo though.
Maybe asking the painter/publisher might help?

A program that does translation... may be available sooner than we think. How about changing the computer language to french and trying out windows speech recognition (from vista onwards)?

option 3: request a french wetcanvas member...

ingegerd
08-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Find an artist with a linguistic diverse fan base, convince them that the DVD is a favourite of their artist. Then the DVD will be o YT with translations within a few days.

Undergoose
08-06-2013, 07:26 PM
That's a tough one, I've never heard of a program that can dynamically translate a running feed like that.

The closest thing I could think of would be to play it into a French-recognizing 'Dragon Naturally Speaking' type of dictation software, but that might have some serious hiccups depending on how clearly the artist is speaking. You might wear a beret and make sure you cook your food in tons of butter a couple of days prior for luck. :rolleyes:

MarekB
08-06-2013, 11:05 PM
I don't think its possible "on-the-fly", however, if a French speaking person was to listen to the tape and write/type down the narration on a computer, then a free program like Google Translate can render it into English word-per-word... may be grammatically incorrect, but you still make out some 80% of it for sure... better that nothing.

Then, of course, you will need to use Google Translate again to render it into Irish ! :-)

Too bad I don't speak French, let us know how it ends up

Irishman
08-07-2013, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.Food(in butter) for thought.It's a DVD by Jean Claude Papeix.Maybe some of our French members have it already and can give some advice?

Quinacridone Gold
08-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Did you get this sorted Larry? I have a daughter in Paris who could do it for you if you wanted to send it to her.....

Irishman
08-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Thank you Jane.I have sent you a PM.

JudyL
08-28-2013, 11:54 AM
This probably doesn't work but is there a function on a computer that would translate a cd that was installed?

graesea
08-29-2013, 03:12 AM
I can see from the bits available on youtube that he is a fantastic water colorist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxwKRDZeHE4

JudyL
08-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Wow!