PDA

View Full Version : WIP acrylic on paper (sketch of artist)

blackcatbattery
08-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Another quick painting. About 2 hours into it... a little farther to go.
Taking a cue from alangraham and trying to make quicker, more "affordable" works to market. I won't have to charge $500 to make my time and money back. Between the originals and prints I might actually SELL something and afford more supplies. Also with works that only take a day I can make more-- I can never tell what people might like so it makes sense to "cast a wide net".
MAybe it won't look like the Johnny Carson psychic when I finish.

humanguy
08-05-2013, 10:36 PM
I must say, you know your stuff. I've been looking at your work. It's too representational for my taste, but I like your atmospheres and colors, not to mention your technique.

Where or how are you selling your paintings that you yourself assign the price to them?

Also, I'm in GA too, in Atlanta. You wouldn't happen to be anywhere around the capital, would you?

blackcatbattery
08-05-2013, 11:01 PM
I must say, you know your stuff. I've been looking at your work. It's too representational for my taste, but I like your atmospheres and colors, not to mention your technique.

Where or how are you selling your paintings that you yourself assign the price to them?

Also, I'm in GA too, in Atlanta. You wouldn't happen to be anywhere around the capital, would you?
Thanks for looking. I'm about an hour and a half from ATL. I looked at some of your works. I like them. Mine often start out pretty abstract but I find myself seeing figures and bringing them out.
I am planning on making the website I'm coding (another interest... more hobby than passion) and make it half for my music and half for my artwork. http://www.blackcatbattery.com/ Right now it's pretty messed up (i haven't touched it in months) but I want to be able to display and sell both there. As another member here remarked it's MUCH easier to sell prints online. Paintings are usually soemthing people want to see in person. I rely on shows and hanging art in coffeeshops, etc for those. As for WHAT the prices are... I still am struggling. I will have to figure the costs involved before I calculate that.

3Bak
08-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Love the dynamics of the composition, always been a fan of those "loose" paintings and it seems you've got it!

laf.art
08-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I hope you don't mind my saying this, but when I scroll down to just past his head I really like the painting, it really draws me in

blackcatbattery
08-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I hope you don't mind my saying this, but when I scroll down to just past his head I really like the painting, it really draws me in
I see what you mean. I've never been able to go completely abstract as I keep seeing things. Perhaps I should try it more. This photo, however, is all that remains of this piece--its buried under layers of angry "WHY WONT YOU WORRRRRRK!!!!" paint.

davefriend
08-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I see what you mean. I've never been able to go completely abstract as I keep seeing things. Perhaps I should try it more...It is the natural instinct of our brain to 'recognize' a thing or at least 'make' the thing into something we can recognize, identify and catalog for future reference. If you seek a more pure abstraction in your art, you will have to find a way to bypass or rise above the natural inclination, into a different response to shapes and colors.

I can't tell you how exactly how to do it but for me the more right brain in charge I am the easier it is. Many artists find that music helps make the right brain shift if you are left side dominant . I am more right brain dominant anyway but still this helps me. Also, I think it has to do with letting color and shape just be their own companions without the need to make them look like something to be complete. In some ways I think it is primitive way or maybe just a simplicity of visual appreciation - but it seems to have the ability to stretch the boundaries of the mind.

Alfred Whitehead said, "Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern.". As humans recognizing what something is becomes vital to our survival and success in living long and satisfying lives. As artists our senses can take us beyond the normal recognitions to imagination with expansions of our perceptional database into that broader way of seeing and thinking that helps us create abstract art.

trufflecat
08-08-2013, 10:32 AM
I like the bottom part of the painting especially, sort of a stained glass effect. Nice job!

st.bede
08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I know very little and my "art" is very far away from such a title.

I have become to believe, that drawing what I see it like ear training and as far as ear training goes the ultimate goal is to connect as strongly as possible to what your inner mind is creating (not so much as picking up a cool lick... but then again my favorite music is jazz).

When I stare at a blank piece of paper (because a canvass would be a waste of money at this point), I try and see what I am seeing inside of my brain and not let "meaning" take away the purity of what I see. If I start to see normal things, I try and think about strange things, such as how mold looks or shadows that are cast and estranged.

Maybe abstract art is like when you get together and are playing music with other musicians and eventually for the hell of it people start just to play out, to let go of typical responses and just push out ideas without worrying if they are tonally corrected.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose".

ShaunGa
08-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Something about this before the eyes are painted in, Just sayin :)