PDA

View Full Version : 1st try at posting

RuthT
06-25-2001, 11:08 AM
Hi fellow members - this is my first try at posting a painting. If i get a successful image up, I would like some suggestions on how to turn my work into a finished painting. I seem to get so far and then get blocked.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2001/carnationswet.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2001/carnationswet.jpg

oh dear, did i send it twice:o

Javier
06-25-2001, 11:56 AM
Had to answer your posting so that you would know that you made the trip. Good Job. And yes you posted your painting twice, but that's no big problem.

About the only comment that I am qualified to make is that it would be nice if you would tell us the medium, size, and paper.

The carnations look fine to me and I really like the way you have arranged them. It is a very nice painting and one you can be proud of .

BTW, maybe it is finished.

The Best,

j

carly
06-25-2001, 01:03 PM
My question is...how do you define a finished painting?

Do you feel that all of your works have an unfinished feel because they are more like studies of the subject?

My comment on this painting is...a well defined subject, simplicity in style and color, would look wonderful matted in an oval and framed. If you want to take the subject further, put the flowers in a vase on a table with a simple cloth beneath it and tell more of the story. By adding another element to the subject, you expand your ideas.
carly

MissMouse
06-25-2001, 09:40 PM
Hi and welcome, I like your painting the way it is, especially the unfinished stem. if you want you might add a wash of color in the background. picking up one of the flower colors. But that is just my eye speaking.....

RuthT
06-26-2001, 02:30 PM
Thank you all for your encouraging remarks and suggestions. Following these I am beginning to think that perhaps it is finished; on reflection there is not anything more that I want to say with it.

Javier - For being the first to let me know I had made it. The watercolor was painted on an Arches hot pressed block, 7"x10". I've worked on hot pressed mostly so far, but am going to try a few months on cold pressed to see how it works.

carly - I really like the suggestion of an oval matting. Yes, they are more like studies. I am happiest just setting off to paint without drawing first. When I try to plan my work it turns out more stilted and stiff. I have begun to add a little drawing as I go along.

MissMouse - Glad you noticed the unfinished stem, I like it too. I was going to paint it, but something in me said 'no, you will make the whole thing too heavy'. I do like background washes, but as soon as I add one I ruin the whole thing. This is an area I must work on.

Once again, thank you for your encouragements.

sun_merman
06-26-2001, 05:37 PM
I like the delicacy of your flowers. I think Carly has really hit the nail on the head. It is something I wish I thought of more when I'm doing my paintings.

I.E. what am I adding additional elements for? How does it tell me more about what I want to say.

I, too, have a fondness for carnations. They have a great smell. Wish I could figure out a way to put the smell in the flowers (sigh).

faymcivor
06-28-2001, 05:43 AM
Pretty and delicate I like it very much :) Fay

lonie
06-28-2001, 07:28 AM
What a delicate painting. I like the way you have arranged the flowers and the soft colouring. It seems to me that it is finished. Sometimes putting too much in spoils the effect. I like it the way it is.

Lonie;)

ameliajordan
06-28-2001, 07:50 AM
I think it's complete. Interestingly, if you had painted the last stem I think it would not be finished but calling for a background or setting.

RuthT
06-28-2001, 01:40 PM
Thank you sun,fay,ionie, and amelia for your positive comments on my painting. The suggestion that to have painted the last stem would have made it incomplete is a very interesting perspective - I think you are right amelia.

One day computers may indeed have an "add scent" button sun, lol.