PDA

View Full Version : Leafy Dreams

st.bede
08-03-2013, 11:12 PM
I still have to apply value to this piece so it is a work in progress, but I wanted to post it now before I make a learning mistake (this seems to happen when I try and add depth by shading with grays)... also, the light in the photograph I took was not all together good.

I used art markers on a 9 x 12 inch paper. Your C+Cs help me grow so feel free to shot away, peace.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2013/1321000-almost_leaf.jpg

PushingPixels
08-04-2013, 11:08 AM
this looks very promising so far, I like the bright colors and interesting shapes already.

AprilJoy
08-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Hm...St. Bede, if you aren't pleased with how gray shading looks, you could try using the color's compliment to add depth.
I'm interrested to see where this is going, or to be more precise, where that dragon is going. :)

davefriend
08-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Looking good at this point and you seem to have good control of the markers. :thumbsup:

As you know markers can be fun or frustrating because of the overlap reaction depending on the type of paper/board you are using. Have you ever used colored pencils over the top? They can complete a marker drawing very well.

My experience with markers over the last 30 years is that they are subject to fading and age is not kind to the work (archive them with photos) but the colored pencils seem to hold up OK.

Nice work, but keep a window open nearby st.bede :lol:

st.bede
08-04-2013, 12:34 PM
First, thank you for looking at my stuff and your helpful words.

(I laughed at the dragon joke... I came across that ying yang icon and started to see how much fun I could have with it).

Hm...St. Bede, if you aren't pleased with how gray shading looks, you could try using the color's compliment to add depth.
I'm interrested to see where this is going, or to be more precise, where that dragon is going. :)

I know so little. Do you mean using red to shade over green?

Looking good at this point and you seem to have good control of the markers. :thumbsup:

As you know markers can be fun or frustrating because of the overlap reaction depending on the type of paper/board you are using. Have you ever used colored pencils over the top? They can complete a marker drawing very well.

My experience with markers over the last 30 years is that they are subject to fading and age is not kind to the work (archive them with photos) but the colored pencils seem to hold up OK.

Nice work, but keep a window open nearby st.bede :lol:

I am saving up to get an airbrush but I wanted to start to work on stuff so markers came to mind and off I was with a small obsession...

I was wondering how to keep the drawing safe... is there some strange chemical I could spray over it?

The pencil idea is a good one, as I dug through my garage I found some of my old prismacolor pencils but not many. (they are easily 20 years old... I assume that should not make a difference ).

(.... Oh, have another hit of fresh air... certainly not one of Quicksilver Messenger Service best songs, but one can always appreciate a nice breeze...)

davefriend
08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
...I was wondering how to keep the drawing safe... is there some strange chemical I could spray over it?
I think you just have to keep them out of the light - certainly direct sunlight.

I have works that are around 30 years old when I did a lot of architectural renderings and they have all suffered fading even though they have been stored away from direct light. I used to spray them with fixative but still they are not as beautiful as they once were - Take photos for future enjoyment is my advice. :lol:

st.bede
08-04-2013, 08:20 PM
wait, I do see a dragon in there... it must of been subconscious because I did not plan it... weird.

AprilJoy
08-05-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm the first to see the dragon :clap: hahaha.

Yes, complimentaries are the opposite color you would find on the color wheel. (sorry so large). They "mute" each other. Play with it a little, you'll find some interresting effects can be achieved this way :thumbsup: .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2013/1016672-ColorWheel.jpg

Dave's right about the colored pencils, it's a good idea since they don't seep in & saturate the paper. Will help give dimension, I'd think.

st.bede
08-05-2013, 11:55 AM
You guys are the best thanks.