PDA

View Full Version : Your Song... Green or Blue...

alangraham
08-02-2013, 09:45 AM
This turned into a very personal painting, and one which just popped up yesterday out of the blue.

I was driving home from an early morning doc visit, and Same Old Lany Syne came on the radio. One, this is the saddest song ever. Seriously. One can't help but stop and recall past relationships. Then, Your Song came on right after! Seriously, it was like a wall hitting me.

Out of all my past loves and girlfriends, one from when I was 20 came back as if it were yesterday. I'm 32 now, but when I was 20 I met this young woman, 19. It was a brief whirlwind but did teach me a ton about life, love, etc etc.

No pictures or photos, so I did this from what memories I could find. Still can't recall what color her eyes were just like Sir Elton sings in the song-- hence the different colored eyes.

Either way, feel free to comment, but I just wanted to share. Doubt I will change anything as the piece in it's current form seems to hold all my emotions and feelings yesterday. Does that make sense?

Inward Arts
08-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I like the green. The blue against the blonde seems a little too much for me. (Wait, now Im going back and forth. This one is a hard call!)

OK. Back to my first instincts: Green. But of course, its your choice. You can't go wrong either way.

alangraham
08-02-2013, 10:56 AM
I like the green. The blue against the blonde seems a little too much for me. (Wait, now Im going back and forth. This one is a hard call!)

OK. Back to my first instincts: Green. But of course, its your choice. You can't go wrong either way.

Each eye is suppose to be green and blue, hence due to the song :).

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do
You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

jimwhalen
08-02-2013, 11:53 AM
The eyes are great the piece is great. Your creative expression in these song inspired pieces is amazing. I do have a small nit with this one - there is something about the left corner of her lips that bugs me. I can't really put my finger on it, but it feels incomplete and it draws me away from those beautiful eyes.

davefriend
08-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Memory is a great and terrible thing, you either remember it right or wrong but either way it is your reality. Some details that should be so clear may be fuzzy or even absent. You remember it this way and everybody else remembers it the other way! Sometimes frustrating and soothing at the same time

I like that you have no reference material to paint from, it reveals more from inside than copying a faded photograph ever could do. Beautiful girl with something sad or reserved about her, yet she has the appearance of youth with the carefree innocence of not really having experienced the after effects of life's choices.

I am really hanging on each of your works based on music, I think they are all turning out great, this one included.

birdhs
08-02-2013, 12:50 PM
OK so I had to cut & paste the names of the songs to YouTube, couldn't remember them exactly. Very reflective melancholic tunes, both well-written and sung. Just the kind of music I get sentimental over, too.

The young lady is just right, I suspect she would not be as perfect from a live model.

Thanx4sharing the painting, but especially for the backstory

greggo

alangraham
08-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks for taking the time out to check it one, guys :)

Jim-- what part of the mouth? Maybe it needs to be connected or more color added. I think I'm gonna leave it. In person it's rather striking for being such a small piece so I would hope the eyes would be the focus.

Dave--Thanks man. I still have this certain 'image' of her in my head. It's hard to describe. I doubt it looks anything like her, but for me, it's her :)

Greggo-- Yes, glad you listened to the songs :). Silly, sappy stuff. And yes, if I had a photograph of her to go off of it would be totally different.

Inward Arts
08-03-2013, 10:27 AM
alangraham: I took the time to read the entire post, and now I understand the green and blue. She is beautiful just the way she is, and your memory & all that gets wrapped up in the memory is there too ~ just as beautiful as she is!

alangraham
08-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Thank you Rachel. Very sweet comment. :)

PushingPixels
08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I like this loose linear style and the sentiment behind the work. Relationships touch us at our core and forever change us. Hopefully for the better.

cmallav
08-05-2013, 05:49 PM
I really like this and more so the story behind it :-)

brighteye76
08-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Nice! Though this song has very special meaning to me.

trufflecat
08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
You are so good at figures! This is terrific.

alangraham
08-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks so much, Barb, Chaya, BrightEye, and Susan :).