PDA

View Full Version : ** Daily Wash Friday 2nd August 2013**

shipbroker
08-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Morning all

Dry breeezy and dull here, moving day so back later.

geoff

Yorky
08-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Hi Geoff, you beat me to it.

Where are you moving to?

Cloudy here with slanting sunshine, not sure what the day will bring. Ruth is kitting a quillow to order and I may carry on with a painting I started in class.

Doug

Doris345
08-02-2013, 03:15 AM
Good morning washers

Hi Doug,
Hi Geoff. Moving where?

Oh June :grouphug: Louie:grouphug: All my prayers for you.

All that corny talk by Sylvia, Happ and Darla encouraged me to go out and buy some. Which happens to NOT be very easy around here: with store rentals at a premium, market space is tight so we do not get big supermarket deliveries of loads of fresh corn.

I dont cook it. I simply strip the kernels off the cob and freeze them as is - smallish portions in little snack bags, then pack 3 or 4 bags into a zip-lock freezer baggie. The double bagging seems to prevent freezer burn. This method gives me lots of choices - a couple of bags for a serving; or just open a bag and toss a handful of kernels right into...the gazpacho or salad or whatever. The freezing keeps the moisture in the kernel, tastes fresh.

Betty, your pictures look idyllic.
Annie, your wall is looking great - fun to watch the progress.

No plans for the day, but I must really get up to see my friend in the hospital. Unhappily, she is not doing well. They are talking of releasing her to hospice care, but her (jerky, stupid, selfish) husband doesn't want to have to travel 'so far' to see her [1/2 hour] and he wants her to come home even though she is oxygen dependent, wheelchair-bound and barely functional physically. There is a reason I never liked him . . .

BBL.
Doris

laudesan
08-02-2013, 03:31 AM
Good Friday evening.

I managed to go to lunch with Tania today. It was lovely just the two of us.

I had a shocking night alst night, was still away at 4.00 am. The last time I looked at the clock was 4.30 am, and I was awake again at 8.00 am I am fading fast now, Early to bed, as I have a dentist appointment early in the morning.

Betty loved your photos. I absolutely can not eat anything I have named, but then I don't eat pork, so those cute little pigs would have a long and happy life with me.. :-D
Your waterlily is pretty, cute frogs, I so love frogs, and even cuter ducklings. I so love your home!

Annie, your new garden is looking impressive. Nothing at all like the quagmire I saw. Awesome eh.
You should start a new thread with pictures and ask for name suggestions. I bet you get some beauties.

:grouphug: June and Louie :grouphug: I know you struggle terribly yourself June, this is something neither of you needed. My heart goes out to you both.

:grouphug: to ALL in need. I do think of you every day.. :heart:

Lulu
08-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Evening all:wave:
Just about to skype John's sister but have to ask:

Doris ! :eek: is this the jerk who visited or another jerk?? That is appalling! :eek:

doppler
08-02-2013, 04:00 AM
Good evening all.

Geoff, it's your national persistence that did in our cricket team, team of sorts.

Doug :wave:

Lulu, I think this jerk is not the visiting one for Doris.

Doris, I think you summed him up in one word.....JERK! I do love that expression. We have different ones here, none of which I will repeat to polite company. Given up on corn here after the great native massacre of 6 foot high caged plants with thick ripe cobs that we were going to process and freeze the next day. It was in the old Guantanamo Bay enclosure at its most productive. We were left with the core of the cobs and somewhat :rolleyes: bad language.

Names for the new terraces? Sorry, Pandora's box brings more to mind that I can deal with. Jumper ant canyon? Maybe a little later. They have been consigned to the mother of all ants in the sky at present but like Arnie, they'll be back.

The Great Wall ... ? I think Sylvia and Henry may win. Henry's comment that blessed are they who labour in it struck a certain sympathetic chord. THOUGH after our surveillance of the work and forward planning AKA VISIONS and
discussion, I would say, blessed are those who shalt constantly squabble in it :lol::lol: :lol:

Got to make marmalade this weekend. Will report once the fire brigade have left. I am NOT a household goddess, given the fact that I have to mow the floors tomorrow.

June, I really hope things are progressing well with Louis. (((())))

:wave:

shipbroker
08-02-2013, 04:36 AM
Moving to Haxey which is on borders of Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire on River Trent.

geoff

LCPainterCat
08-02-2013, 04:40 AM
Hi, Doris! (And Lulu, Doug and Geoff) -

I'm re-reading Hamlet for a book discussion (along with John Updike's witty and delightful imagined prequel to "Hamlet," Gertrude and Claudius). I fell asleep over "Hamlet, Act IV" at about 11:30, and woke up just now dreaming -- I kid you not -- in iambic pentameter! LOL!

Doris, your friends do seem to have chosen awful examples of the male species as husbands!!!!

On corn: I cook mine more briefly than Doris, Caryl, and others-- only about two-three minutes in boiling water; however, I choose the slender cobs with small, pearl-white kernals, and they are very tender and cook almost instantly.

Doris (and others who like to freeze fresh produce in season): Last time I went grocery shopping, about three weeks ago now, I picked up a bargain in numerous, small zucchini and yellow squash. They keep well in the fridge, and I foresaw a number of different uses for them for a couple of weeks of meals. Then, the very next evening, my daughter called and said they were coming down from PA to rescue me from the 95 degree and horribly humid ("feels like 107 degrees") heatwave we were sweltering in. (I have NO AC for now!) Wonderful! But what to do with my squash? I decided to try IQF-ing them, so sliced them all into rounds, and laid the pieces on parchment paper- covered cookie sheets and froze them overnight, along with some huge bell peppers, (also a bargain at $1.49 for six!) in orange, yellow, and red, which I cleaned and cut into strips. The next morning the pieces were all frozen solid, but nicely separated, and I did the same double zip-lock plastic baggie thing that Doris does with her corn.
Night before last, back here in blessedly cooler weather, I grabbed a handful of each from the freezer, and threw them into my spaghetti sauce along with sauteed onions and frozen shrimp. By the time the mixture was hot and the pasta cooked, the veggies were perfect -- still al dente and as if fresh : )

By the way, Doris, I usually buy ready-made spaghetti sauce now -- some are excellent -- and add fresh meat or shrimp, garlic and herbs and assorted veggies to it instead of simmering a sauce from scratch all day as I used to. The sauces from several companies come in Atlas canning jars! I put them into the recycling bin, but reluctantly, as I always think of your difficutly in buying any canning jars in NYC.

4:30 AM now. Shall I make coffee and start my day? Or snuggle back in bed . . . . I think bed, and more Hamlet, for a while.

Henry, I think of you and Lesley many times each day. If wishes were horses. . . . And June, I can only imagine what you are coping with just now. Hoping that Louie will rally once again from this new blow, and sending you strength as you hold the family together for the battle.
I wish Nurse Beryl would check in with an update on Nipper Geoff. . . .

Lynn/LC

Doris345
08-02-2013, 04:56 AM
Lulu, as Annie guessed, this is a different jerk than the visiting jerk from Florida.

Lynn, I am much embarassed to admit that both of these women were very close High School BFF's of mine. I am twice-divorced, so the questionable choice of men must have been something in the water... :lol: :lol:

doppler
08-02-2013, 05:12 AM
No water the women drank Doris. Don't know what those others drank. Im just so happy that my man didnt partake of any of that. We squabble with laughter BTW.

LynLC :wave:

JJ the quagmire had sharp edges now :thumbsup:

Greek risotto cooking. Taught to me by an an old boyfriends mother ... long before Roger. She even taught me how to make filo pastry from scratch.

This risottos is so easy. Take a pan and chop onions, garlic and rice and fry them in olive oil stirring until the first rice grain tries to do a popcorn. Then transfer to the baking dish. Add in the chicken pieces and douse the lot with squeezed lemon juice, add enough water to plump the rice, more lemon juice, because they are there, salt and pepper, then dust the surface with oregano. Carefully place in hot oven and open wine. :thumbsup:

Thats where we be now :wave:

ScarletLake
08-02-2013, 07:33 AM
TGIF TGIF TGIF

Oh what a week it has been ---I'm so not looking forward to the next 4 days either.

Spent the day at the hospital - stepmothers colonscopy went well. No sign of any cancer. The final explanation of her hospital stay was that all the intestinal issues were caused by the IV antibiotics given for the leg cellulitis and the cat bite. During the hospital stay and because she has been wearing a heart monitor that caught her episiodes of atrial fibrillation. Which was not a new diagnosis either.

So she will get released today probably to be sent to the nursing home for about 20 days. Also we were told that the cat has to go. She is not paying attention to him and is always leaving him alone in the house and has stopped letting him go outside. My dad really made over him and without him there it has brought out bad behaviors.

Stepmom cried yesterday saying she didn't know what had happened to her life and so on and so on. That she would just go home not to the nursing home and we said No. She will only be there for some rest and to get her strength back and then she can return home.

Also my sister left town last night for 4 days at the lake. Yes she did.

I'm have a strong cup of coffee this morning when I visit the coffee shop. Haven't been since Tue morning. I need to see my friends and something other than a hospital.

OK enough of that from me

Doris ---that is excellent idea on corn. I have access to local farmers market every Sat morning. I think I will do just what you did. The doc can override the husband if he feels that she can't be cared for at home.

On husbands - I have been divorced once and I was absolutely shattered. I have been married to current husband 21 years - I still think marriage is a tough thing to get right. In those 21 years there were times I wanted out and then times I thought this is great.

JJ - good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well.

Well just wishing everyone a great Friday --I can't think anymore I need that coffee shop experience now so getting dressed and I'm outta here.

Anita

Uschi
08-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Good Morning!!

Beautiful morning, coolish with a high of 23C - :heart: this weather.

There is a possibility of thunderstorms which is not ideal considering that my roof is being done today. The workers are already out there, so :crossfingers:

Just found out that they will take off the dish (TV) which is screwed to the roof but they won't be able to put it back (special tool) so will have to vall the TV people (Bell) to put it back on.

Might paint today - Lady who commissioned the little white rose painting loves it BUT she wants the rose to be more "white":lol: I made the shading warm, yellow tones, so I'll do another one with blue shading. No problem, whatever she doesn't like will be sold to someone else.

:grouphug: and my VERY best wishes to you and your husband June!!!!

(((((((((Henry and Lesley))))))))) I hope things are progressing in the most positive manner.

Betty, LOVED your photos, the animals are cute but I was amazed at your sunflower. Are all these branches normal?????

Char, I too am glad (although surprised) that your tricycle painting didn't sell. The Tomato and Mushroom Painting is WONDERFUL!!!

Doug, lovely challenge reference, might just give it a try.

Anita, I sure hope things will quieten down once your stepmom is in the nursing home.

Doris, I also see that in Toronto, no space downtown for decent sized grocery stores. I hope your friend's health will improve.

Geoff, enjoy the new location!!

:wave: to Annie, Lynn, JJ . Too much racket going on right above my head, will be back later.

Uschi

shipbroker
08-02-2013, 08:43 AM
On site now back with you later.

geoff

Scene Chaser
08-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Good Day All,
Beautiful morning with heavy dew on the lawn.

Lynn/LC, Hamlet and his family, not a very lively group, are they?

Uschi, Iíve been told that I may need my roof done, too. Itís only thirty-two years old.

Geoff, do you all move together? A real caravan?

Buckwheat pancakes, egg and sausage waiting for me.
Bill

DebraB
08-02-2013, 09:24 AM
As a usual lurker I have to post just to send you all another way to freeze your corn. Coming from Nebraska the heart of " corn" country we blanch the corn on the cob then remove the kernels into a big roasting pan. Add a stick of butter and a can or two of condensed milk, stir it up then freeze in baggies. It makes the best creamed corn you will ever eat. I'm not saying anything about it being the healthiest but just plain good. Have a great day!

WthrLady
08-02-2013, 10:30 AM
you could put condensded milk on a brick and it would taste great!

I stick to freezing and canning plain ingredients, just so I can do more with them later.

Someone PMd and asked why I can so much instead of just freezing. Well, being from storm country, there is only so much you can eat before even the stuff in the freezer goes bad! I also have a large store of dehydrated stuff, and a pantry of dried goods.

Anywho.....FINALLY had some rain last night. Only .83 inches, but we need it to keep the crops green. Rain is still better than irrigation. Little wind and no hail, but OH my some of the other places down the road! Crop killers blew through with 2 and 3 inch hail and 80 MPH winds. Luckily, that damage isn't widespread, but small local patches. Stinks when it happens to your crop though.

If the storms hold off another few hours, (round two this afternoon), I'm going to try to head down to the giant Czech festival. The festival is large, not the Czechs :D I want to try to get some costume shots for the RIL.

Hugs and smiles to all...have a great day!

CharM
08-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Good morning! We have mixed sunshine and clouds today... I've been trying to photograph a still life set up between clouds... :lol: They weren't terribly cooperative, but I think I might have enough to work with.

I'm going to start prepping the bedroom walls today. I have to wash them down and then get a primer on the filled repairs to the plaster. Once all that dries, I can cut in all the edges. I hope to have a first coat applied by later this afternoon.

I put a loaf of bread in the machine and it's going through its first rise. When it comes out (in just a few minutes) I'll let it rise a second time in the pan and get it baked off. That gives me about an hour to finish doing computer stuff, i.e. paying a few bills and visiting here (naturally).

I don't think I mentioned to you that Magoo is moving back home with his Girl... We'll be finishing the toll-like basement for the kids as a pseudo apartment. We decided that we wouldn't spend the money to make it a completely separate apartment, so they'll have to share bathroom and kitchen with us. That's not a hardship. Cleaning up that horrific mess down there is the elephant in the room.

Our Granddaughters are coming to stay with us for three weeks this month... I'm excited about that! I just don't know where we'll put everyone...

Hi Geoff and Doug...

Doris, what a bad person your friend has married! You know, we don't start out bad and I'm always curious as to how and when things change so much...

Sorry you had such a bad night, JJ... Happy Skyping, Lulu!!!!

Annie, perhaps it's the Terrace of New Hope... your dinner risotto sounds SO good!

Lynn... :lol: about your dreaming in verse!

Anita... you cannot *own* everything... If you weren't here, then someone would make the necessary decisions... ((()))

Uschi, visiting our Son in Vancouver nets the same result with grocery stores... there are a lot of little 'markets', though... And yes, your rose will sell quickly! Oh, I forgot to tell you that getting our metal roof cleaned and painted was going to cost about $4500...

Bill, if you got 32 years from your shingles then that roof doesn't owe you anything (despite the expense of having it replaced). Twenty year shingles here last about 15 years... go figure that, eh?

Hi Debra... you could join in more often... we don't bite... much... :)

Caryl, I agree with you totally about the canned goods... my pressure canner, though, hasn't been used in several years. And, storing our food in glass jars is infinitely healthier than plastic (I think)... :)

Ted's trying to get the grass finished before it storms here (it's coming)... our riding lawn mower is going to cost $$$ to get it fixed I'm afraid. In the meantime, my poor hubby is getting his exercise.

I'm sending positive energy out to Lyn and Lesley (and Henry)... and I wish the very best possible day for everyone! :grouphug:

Uschi
08-02-2013, 11:46 AM
You'd think that all the banging would bring the roof down, it feels as if they are hammering on the ceiling and not the roof:)

I called the people who will reinstall the TV Dish, $ 75:rolleyes: Nothing is for nothing:rolleyes: but they will be here this afternoon.

Char, when I was there I heard little rumblings about the girls coming in August. I gues you'll be caravaning as a family. I thought once you had paid that :eek: :eek: amount of money for a metal roof it is done for life. Didn't know they had to be cleaned and repainted. Magoo is back:lol: :lol: Kids:rolleyes: :lol: His girl better keep a VERY clean kitchen or all bets will be off:lol:

Yes, the 20 year shingles last for about 15 years, didn't used to be that way. Mine would still be fine if it weren't for the south side where the sun is beating down on them. The new shingles are better and are supposed to be good for 50 years, yeah, balonie, 25 years if we are lucky. Anyway, if I were lucky enough to still live in my own home at 99 years of age I guess I would gladly pay for another shingling:) Bill, Gosh, you sure got your money's worth:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Caryl, how awful for the farmers:crying: Enjoy the festival!!

Debra, what Char said!!

Sun is now coming and going, they better be done before the rain, if there is any:crossfingers:

Uschi

WthrLady
08-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Char - the pressure canner only comes out for foods with meat and my tomatoes - It's so nice to grab a jar of chicken soup off the shelf! Toss in some noodles or dumplings and YUM!

shipbroker
08-02-2013, 12:30 PM
No Bill some of the others have come from elsewhere and also we try and not have more than 2 caravans together on the roads ad we can only travel at 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways Both speeds being 10 mph less than single vehicles.

Lovely afternoon with Simpsons clouds.

geoff

kaypainter
08-02-2013, 12:36 PM
you could put condensded milk on a brick and it would taste great!

If the storms hold off another few hours, (round two this afternoon), I'm going to try to head down to the giant Czech festival. The festival is large, not the Czechs :D I want to try to get some costume shots for the RIL.

Hugs and smiles to all...have a great day!

It might taste great but it would be very hard on your teeth. :lol: Says she who just spent another $$$$ on that same molar! When I had the root canal it somehow shifted the crown when it was put back on, and there was a gap like the Grand Canyon back there. I trapped a passle of horses who didn't want to come out of there, no how. Hurt like heck. So a new crown. Only half as much the second time around, but still.

Darn I was all ready to meet the giant Czechs.

What kind of shingles are these that only last 15 years? :eek:

Char do you want to come to LA and paint my bathroom? I painted over the primed parts that were repaired, and the handyman said I could keep the paint to re-paint the rest of the wall, but I need to get a taller ladder. So it's been I don't know how many weeks. I'll have to re-wash the walls by the time I get to it. Or maybe move? :lol:

Annie -- how about "The Steppes of Mt. Nebo." Or "Terra Cognito" now that you can actually get to it. Okay I'll stop now while only a little behind.

((((Anita))))) You definitely need the me time.

Doris sounds more like the husbands drank the Koolaid. Jerk flavored.

Uschi -- Can you here me now? Hope they stop banging soon. So glad Ethan will be able to go to the school.

:wave: to Darla and family in Nashville.

((((((((((June and Louie)))))))))))))

Lynn dost thou think thee will talk that way soon?

Lynn/LC, Hamlet and his family, not a very lively group, are they?
Bill

:lol: :lol:

Hi Debra. Welcome.

Must get some things done before jewelry class.

:wave: :wave: to everyone I have not mentioned and all to come and a big HAWLTAIN!!!

Kay

JudyL
08-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Hi, bowling last night, I watched, being careful with my back. Lauren, Spencer and two of their life long (really!) friends bowled with Jack.

Not much on today, Jen, Kevin and the kids are going camping this weekend with a group, and in a Yurt! I am so jealous! but they will test it out but how cool it that!

Must clean the kitchen, do the laundry, and the floors, at least the ones that "Scooter" (Rumba) could not do.

BBL

LCPainterCat
08-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Bill:"Lynn/LC, Hamlet and his family, not a very lively group, are they?"

Um, how much livelier do you want than madness, suicide, two-plus murders, sword fights, an invasion, war, semi-incest, fratricide, kidnapping, and (in the delightful Updike prequel novel, Gertrude and Claudius, lots of VERY hot and passionate, but not physically detailed sex? LOL!

There is a young white tailed deer buck resting about ten feet from my open window, probably a two-year old. He's not very large, and is proudly sporting a lovely but fitting two-pronged rack. Usually I see only does, or at least i think they are does, but perhaps not, as apparently the bucks shed their antlers every year in March and don't grow new ones until summertime -- when the antlers grow -- believe it or not -- over an inch a day!!! Only embryos and some tumors grow that fast! Anyway, he's lovely, and I can be forgiving for the moment of the destruction that and his family continue to do to my ex-garden!
I am having a very hard time getting onto The Wash today. I can get to Wet Canvas, and Watercolor, and even to the forums, looking through a glass wall, as it were, unable to open any of the threads. I've been trying every few minutes for hours, but this is the first time in ten hours I've been able to get a post in The Wash to open, let alone to read and post! Is it just me?

Hi to Annie, JJ (what has you so under the weather, JJ?) Anita, Uschi, and all who are probably to be found on Page Two if i can ever get to it! : )

Lynn/LC

robertsloan2
08-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Good noonish, everyone!

Oh wow! I didn't realize the chat thread moved so fast that it has to be daily! Yay for the move in the UK, hope you have photos of your new digs and the neighborhood. You might think of it as ordinary but it's probably exotic and beautiful to us here in the States.

All health problems, hope things turn out all right and you don't have to spend too much time and money dealing with it. Or did, if it was past medical problems.

I live in San Francisco, which has the best weather in the world in my opinion. I love my city. It was overcast earlier but now it's brightened up, the lightwell's producing that warm indirect summer light again and it's nice out. Not too hot, not too cold. It's almost always just nice out or at least tolerable, even winter never gets that bad. So... it's nice out.

All this talk of freezing corn and cooking in kitchens has me smiling. Reminds me of my daughter. She just got a big freezer a few months ago in addition to the regular one and it's paying for itself in her being able to bulk-buy meat from local ranchers.

I don't actually cook. I use a microwave and reheat stuff from cans or the meals that get delivered by Salvation Army. I live in a residence hotel where I've got one rather spacious room (at least in relation to the size of bedroom I had in various houses I stayed with people) that has a sink in it. This is my preferred lifestyle. I've come home to the Tenderloin.

My neighbors are wonderful. So diverse and interesting. Lots of disabled people and seniors but the variety of backgrounds and the sense of community in my building is wonderful. Unlike a lot of suburban places I've lived, I meet my neighbors and talk to them in the halls, they're physically close enough that I can socialize on my way in and out.

There's also plenty of other artists in my building. Artists range from young ones just starting out living on the cheap like I did back in the late 70s to retired people going back to art because now they've got the time.

Outside in the city, there's art everywhere. Every neighborhood has a slightly different look to its murals. There are always murals and sometimes grand mosaics on the fronts of buildings. One cinema has an enormous humpback whale that might be life sized running down the side of the building, shown below the water with the city skyline way in the distance and some dolphins swimming around it.

So there's my contribution, a word picture of where I live and some of why I love my home so much. I belong in San Francisco. I've always fit in here in a way that I never did anywhere else. The things people looked at me oddly for are normal here. If I sketch in public, people just take that for normal, they'll comment and be pleasant but not 'omg I met a real artist, this is so amazing' like I was a celebrity dropping in.

I didn't post here very often but I got so many warm comments and a warm welcome when I posted my first successful floral life sketch in the Gallery forum that I thought I'd come by and hang out.

Personal news, on Tuesday I have jury duty. I got the summons for jury service and was incredibly thrilled. I am pushing sixty and in all my adult life, I never got called for jury service. I lived in Chicago for a decade and New Orleans for a decade, it's not that I moved around that much. I just never got called and always wondered why.

I also looked forward to this all my life. I'm curious about what my trial is going to be about, excited about it, happy about finally getting it. I always thought that I'd be good at it. I always wanted to do it, especially if some lurid case in the news the jury did something I'd never do in a million years. I'd have more sense and judgment.

It's going to be fun. The more I think about it, the happier I am about it.

Judy, yurts are great. I used to know some people in the Society for Creative Anachronism that had yurts for their Mongol personas. These were historical recreations, pretty authentic, but they had the most comfort of anyone in the encampment. Yurts are easy to set up, spacious and comfortable to stay in. It's no wonder they caught on outside the historical recreation groups.

Yorky
08-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Hi Robert, so nice to read about your new life in San Francisco. It does indeed sound like you have found your home. Do keep in touch.

Love the way you can sketch in public an not be bothered or seen as unusual.

It's been another nice day here, very warm by noon, approaching 30C.

Doug

CharM
08-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Hiya... VTL (very tired lady) taking a break...

I baked my bread; wrote two Marketing Statements for upcoming workshops in the fall at the Cultural Centre (my Boss needed them); paid some bills online and then had a bite of lunch...

I have washed down all the bedroom walls with T.S.P. (Trisodium Phosphate Cleaner) which has left my hands burning and sore... it'll go away soon, but I should have worn gloves. I know better.

I won't get to the cutting in today... but tomorrow awaits... :)

Oh, in between bouts of cloud cover, I took my three egg graders outside to photograph them for a still life. I ended up with just one of them, some eggs and the little wire chicken basket... :lol:

It never did storm. That's ok. It's still cloudy, sunny, cloudy...

Uschi, the roof is really punished by the elements... and the garage roof was scraped by the walnut tree branches. It really does need to be brightened up.

Caryl, I used the pressure canner for non-acidic foods...

Why so slow, Geoff? We take the trailer onto 400 series roads, meaning that we can drive about 70-75 mph...

No thanks, Kay... I hate this job... but it doesn't seem to be doing itself! :lol:

Judy... cleaning can be just as hard on your back as bowling! :eek:

Lynn LC... *nodding* I kind of thought the same thing about Hamlet... so tragic... *groan*... I would feel the same way about the deer invading my gardens... actually, last spring they noshed on my lettuces in the raised beds. We just replanted.

Robert... yup... we are busybodies for sure! :lol: It sounds like your home suits you perfectly... and that's as it should be... :)

Hi Doug... above seasonal temps for you??

So... I'm going to have to get dinner on... :wave:

JudyL
08-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Hi again :wave:

Robert FYI
The Yurts that my kids are going to this weekend, are in Watsonville, at Mount Madonna County Park, just south of Santa Cruz.

I will go there....sometime!

Yorky
08-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Yes Char, warmer than normal.

Just had a paper jam in my new printer and can't fix it :mad: No sign of paper in the machine but it is displaying a jam message. Will have to contact Canon Support on Monday :rolleyes:

Doug

Uschi
08-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Well, the commotion and noise have left, I have a new roof and the TV Dish is back to where it is supposed to be and the TV is working:thumbsup:

In the afternoon rain clouds came, blew by, sun back out, over and over. Not a drop of rain. As the last truck left, it started raining, not much, but it did. How lucky am I:clap: :clap:

Doug, it is sooooooo frustrating when this modern technology isn't performing properly.

Char, I never wash the walls down, I just give it two coats of paint:lol:

Robert, nice to meet you!! Wonderful that you are so content with your lifestyle and it does sound very interesting:thumbsup:

Kay, don't for get to show us your finished pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn, a garden is a heck of a sacrifice, still they are lovely animals.

Judy, a Rumba, you are so spoiled!!

Well, I better go and bring my car back into my driveway. I had to leave it at the shopping plaza because they needed to bring the big dumpster in at 7:00 a.m.

:wave: Uschi

Yorky
08-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Glad your roofing went well Uschi. you were lucky with the weather.

Well, I managed to clear the paper jam in my printer, I used a torch and needle nosed pliers to remove scrunched up paper from behind the cover :thumbsup: One thing less to worry about.

Doug

New Gamboge
08-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone - finally we are getting a little rain - good for the land, not good for all those people who are going camping this long weekend. Of course, I told my SIL it's his fault as his new irrigation pump arrived this am.

I was all set to paint the trim yesterday, then discovered I didn't have the stain. And we can no longer get oil-based stain so I have to find out what I have to do to prepare the surface.

Yes, Uschi, there are some sunflowers that are many-headed, but this one has the most flowers of any I've seen. Congratulations on your new roof.

Char - I once carefully washed walls with TSP as directed, and the paint didn't stick any better than if I had done nothing.

Zucchini - we slice it thin, dehydrate it, and then in the winter fry the chips - they are really tasty.

Robert - nice to meet you - it's great to live in a place you really like.

JJ - I don't think it's possible to raise animals and not name them! Except for the ducks, as there are so many of them.

Annie your Great Wall is looking wonderful.

HAWLTAIN - for those of you I've missed. Betty

Scene Chaser
08-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Doug, I know the word torch means flashlight over there, but to some here, it would mean you actually set fire to the paper in order to clear the machine. :lol:
Bill

Lulu
08-02-2013, 07:45 PM
We use 'torch' both ways Bill too:D

Sister and bil are moving house, so it has reminded me (again) that I need a clean-out of 'stuff'........so that's what I'm doing.......knee deep in it..... :eek: :wave:

Scene Chaser
08-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Lulu, I know I must do the same. Just don't know where to begin. :lol:
Bill

LCPainterCat
08-02-2013, 09:30 PM
H-E-L-P!

I still can access ONLY the first page/screen of today's Daily Wash! I can see on the First/opening Screen of Palette Talk that there have been 3 screens of chat today, but when I click on page 2 or 3, the URL scoots across the top of my screen as if it is taking me there, but stops short, and the spinning pinwheel icon appears near the address. If I click and drag the address across the address bar, it starts moving again as if it will connect, but again stops short of getting there. I don't see how this can be a computer problem, since I can access all other favorite places in normal fashion, and can open and read Palette Talk "stickies" that are not interactive, and can get to page one (where I am now) and write as well as read OK. But clearly there are between 15 and 30 members who have been able to get aboard after the first 15 posts of the day! If anyone has any ideas what is wrong, please PM me!

Lynn/LC

LCPainterCat
08-02-2013, 09:42 PM
WELL . . .posting that message just now at the bottom of Screen One shunted me instantly to the message I had just sent, but located at the bottom of Page Three, from which I could scroll up to the TOP of Screen Three, and read the messages from Betty, Bill, and Lulu in between. Still can't get to screen two however!

Any Ideas?
Lynn/LC

Yorky
08-03-2013, 01:14 AM
OK Lynn, sounds like a browser problem. Try updating your browser or using a different one. Which browser are you using? Maybe you need to clear your temporary internet files, usually in the browser settings.

A possible workaround is to go to MyWC top left and alter your display options to show 40'posts per page.

Try using the Chrome browser.

Pm me with the details.

Doug

JudyL
08-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Uschi yes I am spoiled, got it for Christmas, and he has become a pet. Every other night, he is set to go on his rounds at 2am, if we have not cleared the route, he could get stuck, like wedged under the cabinet, but he is a hard worker. Although it was my Christmas gift, it is really Jack's toy :lol: