PDA

View Full Version : O, and Happy Town

st.bede
08-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Being new here, I am not sure how things work but I have to start somewhere so here is a couple of my ATCs. (For a little background on me you can read this verbose post: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19732655&postcount=1 ). I am saving up money for an airbrush but have started to work with some prismacolor art markers. I would be very grateful for some criticism so I can learn and become less of an hack. (If I have made any mistakes in how things are done here, please forgive me and point them out). Peace

This is Titled, O:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/1321000-o.jpg

This one is titled, Happy Town:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/1321000-happy_town.jpg

trufflecat
08-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Well, welcome to the forum. I really like the first one. Great colors! Second is quieter, but quite nice, too. It does seem that in "O" you have put a lot of thought and effort into the top half, whereas the bottom half is a little more tentative.

Please tell us the dimensions. Is the medium markers on paper? (what is ATC?) Both paintings have nice movement, too. Thanks for posting, looking forward to more.

davefriend
08-02-2013, 12:27 AM
I like both of these but for different reasons. The first is colorful and fun and sort of whimsical. The 2nd is more interesting to me because of the asymmetry of the composition. The colors are less varied than the first but well chosen, warm and very compatible with each other. I also like the shadows which create some feeling of depth. Very good.

I will also add my welcome st.bede to WetCanvas and to the Abstract and Contemporary Forum and I'm looking forward to see more of your work. :wave:

st.bede
08-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Well, welcome to the forum. I really like the first one. Great colors! Second is quieter, but quite nice, too. It does seem that in "O" you have put a lot of thought and effort into the top half, whereas the bottom half is a little more tentative.

Please tell us the dimensions. Is the medium markers on paper? (what is ATC?) Both paintings have nice movement, too. Thanks for posting, looking forward to more.
Thank you very much.

ATCs are Artist Trading Cards. To my limited knowledge, the only rule is that they should be 3.5" x 2.5". http://www.artist-trading-cards.ch/

I have been doing them as a way to practice my limited skills. I also like the idea that once I get enough of them done, I can go to a meetup and trade some.

As a newbie I did not even think about mentioning the dimensions and mediums. Makes a lot of sense to do that, lol. So, I used art markers (prismacolor) on paper (3.5" x 2x5").

You are right about "O" but backwards because I wanted all the colors to be soft and fade together (such as in the bottom part) but for each section to be contrasting in a subdued way. I wanted to accomplish the contrast by moving from a cool section to a warm section. I was not able to accomplish things the way I wanted to.

So a question I have is, that when I am using cool colors I can get then to gently blend and fade but when I try to do the same with warm colors it seems impossible... what can I do and/or Is it possible to get warm colors to flow? (I have just started to try and do such stuff, to try and develop some skills).

In "Happy Town" I was trying to get it to really sparkle, like bright lights at night reflected off a rained on road.

Again thank you trufflecat.

st.bede
08-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Thank you very much davefriend your words do make me feel welcomed.

st.bede
08-02-2013, 12:53 AM
(As always I welcome any criticism that will help me grow or see things in a different light)

lobsterpot
08-02-2013, 08:56 AM
In the past there have been several "Postcard Project" works circulated around the globe where artists would make a postcard and mail it to someone who would do the same. Your Trading card project is similar to that.

Google this site (Artists Postcard Project NYC)to see what some of the Postcards look like--may give you some ideas.