PDA

View Full Version : Humming birds

Cinnamon2010
08-01-2013, 03:47 PM
These are 2.5 x 3.5 on 400 cold pressed watercolor paper and I used my Koi watercolor travel kit and micron pen....I really enjoyed doing these beautiful little creatures. I am working on a larger version 9 x 12 watercolor canvas I made. I just finished the sketch but am really nervous about getting started on the paint. I will post it when I start painting..want to take my time with this.

C&Cs welcome:)

MaMuffin
08-02-2013, 06:40 AM
I think they are both very lovely :thumbsup:

Cinnamon2010
08-02-2013, 10:50 AM
MaMuffin, Thank you.:heart:

Lakish
08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
both are lovely..i like the first one better..I know what you mean when you want to go slow..watercolors can be so unpredictable;-)

Kish

Deborah Secor
08-02-2013, 01:07 PM
I paint hummers, too, and I really like these, especially the one flying. Compositionally I enjoy the 3 flowers. The second one has two focal areas, the bird and flower (though I like the swing-shaped branch), but the first one keeps my eye moving in a spiral, which is a lot like what these little guys do when they fly.

I haven't yet painted hummers on my ATCs. I always liked doing them life sized, which was a challenge when painting on a larger sheet. I would find the average wing length and measure it out in millimeters, then try to keep it to scale. Not easy!

I like the attitude of the second hummer. He's a little sassy looking--typical of these guys! :D Keep going. Show us your next one.

Cinnamon2010
08-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Kish: Thank you, I like the first one too. The second one I had done twice and still couldn't seem to get what I wanted.

Deborah: Wow, thank you for your encouraging comments. It seems like I can't back off on the intensity of the colors and that is why the flower and the humming bird are competing...I have been working with watercolor now for about 8 months so I am still pretty much a baby in this field:) but I plan on growing in this forum:thumbsup:. I will be working on the larger piece this weekend, so will post on Monday or not if it is too bad may chuck it and start over.

pjartwc
08-03-2013, 04:55 AM
If you do the larger version like these, it will be wonderful!!