PDA

View Full Version : Keith, do you believe this one?

DanaT
09-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Just saw this quote and it reminded me of an exchange we had a while back.

"If you had a friend who talked to you like you sometimes talk to yourself, would you continue to hang around with that person?"

It's interesting to think about. :)

Gisele
09-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Good one Dana!:D

Gisele:)

Stoy Jones
09-15-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DanaT
"If you had a friend who talked to you like you sometimes talk to yourself, would you continue to hang around with that person?"

Lol...I agree, a good one. I hope you don't mind offering my two cents. I would be in agreement with myself with everything, but I would be depressed all the time from my constant whining :o ...so I guess not.

Stoy

Keith Russell
09-15-2003, 04:18 PM
It would greatly depend on which 'sometimes'.

Sometimes I'm very hard on myself, very whiney, very critical.

At other times, I really try to cheer myself up, to 'look on the bright side', etc.

My wife used to call me 'whiney', when we were first married. I didn't even realize I was doing it, but I tried to learn how to recognize it--and she now says I rarely complain about things any more.

If I had a friend who talked to me using my 'best' inner voice, that would be wonderful.

If I had a friend, though, who spoke to me the way I talk to myself at those other times...well...

K

christinabella
09-16-2003, 12:34 PM
I think that might be like having a twin..? I always wondered what it would have been like, apparently I was supposed to be twins.

Sometimes, the voice in my head is very like me, and at other times, I have no idea where the things "she" comes up with come from..;)

Julianne
09-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Oh my god, Dana, don't even suggest it! If I had a friend like that it would probably drive me crazy!LOL! With a never-ending barrage going thru all gammets of the emotions as well as from total optimism to incredible criticism and pessimism.... and then back again to pure joy... and around and around... and anger, fear, and god knows what!!!! but never shutting up....! LOL again!
(you know, we really need to have a Laughter icon to choose from here. )

Hmmm, maybe I wouldn't trust a friend that believed in me so much (when I believe in myself), and I certainly wouldn't want to be around someone who was hostile toward me the way I can be to myself....

Yes, good food for thought... as usual..
Julianne

SweetBabyJ
09-25-2003, 09:53 PM
I do have a friend like that- it's just he's not always around my physical space. S'pose that helps us not drive each other crazy. I can tell you, though, it is what made us "attract" in the first place- that instanaeous "Yes- I know what you mean!" feeling. We've chased each other around cyberspace for three years near abouts- in some communities people can't believe we're not in some kind of long-standing romantic relationship because of our ease with each other. The standard reply is "We're sure we were divorced in a previous lifetime"

DanaT
09-27-2003, 09:59 AM
LOL Julianne, SweetBabyJ. Hope everything is going well for you.

Keith Russell
09-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Dana, was this thread really intended for me?

And, regardless, did I answer you question?

K

DanaT
09-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Well, yes, Keith, it originally was but like most threads it developed a life of its own so I just went with the flow. ;) :)

And yes, you did answer my question. :) Does it bother you that the title has your name in it? I can ask Cheryl to take it out.

RobinZ
09-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Dana, would that friend be speaking to me with or without coffee? :D

DanaT
09-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Well, I guess that depends on who's with or without coffee - you or the friend. ;) :D

Keith Russell
09-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Dana, goodness no. If you want to get my attention, by all means put my name in the title.

Glad I answered your question.

K