PDA

View Full Version : All's Right With The World

davefriend
08-01-2013, 01:13 AM
I have been working on this a little bit at a time for the last week and still have more to do but I'm getting close to being done with it so I though I would share it with you all. It is a 20"x16" acrylic on canvas painting I think I will call "All's Right With The World"

I have had this image of a free flowing pedaled daisy for a long time and I wanted to try it with this style I am working in now to see how a representational image would work with it. I really like the peaceful relaxed attitude that I get from the painting, let me know how you feel about it. All comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks for looking. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/538491-alls_right_with_the_world_20x16_800x638_pre.jpg

Spottters
08-01-2013, 07:29 AM
I like this and think the two main elements work well together. Nice work

alangraham
08-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Wow, great change of pace Dave! The flower is amazing and even more amazing with the background. Seems more sad to me as I associate drooping flower with sadness.

birdhs
08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Great image.
on my monitor thee color seems a bit flat. Sharpening the brilliance of the yellows and white will make it pop out more, give it dimension.

or it just might be my monitor...

thanx4sharing

greggo

cmallav
08-01-2013, 02:15 PM
This painting increased the speed of my heartbeat instantly :) Exciting! Loved the busyness around the flower. I liked the flying petals of the drooping flower.

ReaganPaige
08-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Love it, made me smile!!

davefriend
08-01-2013, 02:56 PM
I like this and think the two main elements work well together. Nice work Thanks you Spottters!

Wow, great change of pace Dave! The flower is amazing and even more amazing with the background. Seems more sad to me as I associate drooping flower with sadness. Definitely different and I am just in the 'try it' mode so whatever this becomes is fine with me. Was thinking of calling it 'Crazy Daisy' which I thought was better than 'Bad Hair Day'! LOL :lol: True the petals are relaxed but when they droop they hang.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/538491-drooping_daisy.jpg

Great image.
on my monitor thee color seems a bit flat. Sharpening the brilliance of the yellows and white will make it pop out more, give it dimension.

or it just might be my monitor...

thanx4sharing

greggo Can't go much further with the whites. I realize also that as you get to the bottom 1/3 of the painting the colors are not a bright as the upper 2/3's but in some ways that is intentional as I really wanting to make the daisy outshine everything shown in its oddly pictured world. :) Thanks greggo!

This painting increased the speed of my heartbeat instantly :) Exciting! Loved the busyness around the flower. I liked the flying petals of the drooping flower.Oh, I am glad to hear that Chaya, so does your nice comment :D

Love it, made me smile!! Thank you Reagan, a smile is better than a thousand words! ...and welcome to WetCanvas :wave:

jimwhalen
08-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Great color and movement in this whimsical piece, Dave. The daisy looks as if it's dancing.

trufflecat
08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
I would say you accomplished your goal, Dave, a happy happy painting. Makes me think a little of Van Gogh, but you have your own style. Excellent!

davefriend
08-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Great color and movement in this whimsical piece, Dave. The daisy looks as if it's dancing. I love whimsey Jim, I'm glad you find these good things in my piece. Thank you Jim!

I would say you accomplished your goal, Dave, a happy happy painting. Makes me think a little of Van Gogh, but you have your own style. Excellent! I do think there is a positive vibe and I am very happy myself that it makes a Van Gogh connection for you. Thank you Susan! :D

blackcatbattery
08-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I immediately felt immersed in the whole painting. I was thinking "Starry Night" also. Not in a derivative way, but your background has the same effect in relation to your daisy as the swirling stars do to the foreground-- it brings my eyes back to the daisy. Also keeps my eyes glued in the painting. Not sure "movement" is the right word. It's more like my eyes are so busy trying to absorb and decipher the shapes they can't stray to far before going back to the flower. Very nice.

st.bede
08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
(I am new here and I am not a trained visual artist. As I check things out I see many pieces of art that are inspiring and because of my lack of abilities a bit daunting).

I do not have the training to say anything significant but I would like to express that I had an immediate, fundamental, emotional response to your piece (similar to when I listen to traditional West African drumming in religious ceremonies... pure, might be a word, but used with out the connotations of western morality).

For me the piece has a feeling of movement and breath.

davefriend
08-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I immediately felt immersed in the whole painting. I was thinking "Starry Night" also. Not in a derivative way, but your background has the same effect in relation to your daisy as the swirling stars do to the foreground-- it brings my eyes back to the daisy. Also keeps my eyes glued in the painting. Not sure "movement" is the right word. It's more like my eyes are so busy trying to absorb and decipher the shapes they can't stray to far before going back to the flower. Very nice. Patrick what a wonderful reaction to the painting. Being immersed, wow! Thank you :)

(I am new here and I am not a trained visual artist. As I check things out I see many pieces of art that are inspiring and because of my lack of abilities a bit daunting).

I do not have the training to say anything significant but I would like to express that I had an immediate, fundamental, emotional response to your piece (similar to when I listen to traditional West African drumming in religious ceremonies... pure, might be a word, but used with out the connotations of western morality).

For me the piece has a feeling of movement and breath.Thank you st.bede I appreciate your words of the heart, it is humbling to me to read them.

davefriend
08-01-2013, 10:13 PM
This is the final version. You would have to be very a very good detective to see all the refinements and final touches I added ...but they are there. Thanks all for looking and commenting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/538491-alls_right_with_the_world_20x16_800x635_final.jpg

Here are the first photo posted (left) along with the final version (right)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/538491-alls_right_with_the_world_compare_506x800.jpg

PushingPixels
08-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Beautiful, has the movement of Van Gogh.

davefriend
08-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Beautiful, has the movement of Van Gogh.Thanks Barbara, movement is great and what I wanted in this still life kind of painting. Van Gogh movement, wow! I hope... :)

Jon
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Wow, Dave, I feel like it is coming out from the screen and enveloping me. Well done!

Katie Black
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Its a beauty! Yes I can see why PP said it has a Van Gogh vibe to it. If you do another it would be great to see one of the smaller flowers have some petals as well.

davefriend
08-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Wow, Dave, I feel like it is coming out from the screen and enveloping me. Well done! Thanks JON this flower is a friendly one! I love your reaction :D

Its a beauty! Yes I can see why PP said it has a Van Gogh vibe to it. If you do another it would be great to see one of the smaller flowers have some petals as well.Thanks Katie, Yes that would work, flowers love company. Here I really liked the singleness of a unique flower at one with it's surroundings (what ever they are!). What is in my head now is another painting related to this but with the flower more integrated into the weave of the background, somewhat between what I did a few paintings ago and what I did with this one. Not sure how it will come together but it looks good in my head but you know that Picasso quote "I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else." I guess that's progress with art! :lol:

HenrietteW
08-03-2013, 01:03 PM
It's almost pulsating with life. Very nice. :)

davefriend
08-03-2013, 03:42 PM
It's almost pulsating with life. Very nice. :)I have thought that painters were in danger of being handicapped by this video/animation world because we work in a captured moment frame but I know that artists for centuries have been attempting to get motion and action in their split second captures so I welcome the word pulsating to the list of descriptions of this painting. :thumbsup: Thanks Henriette! :)

JaneChilton
08-03-2013, 04:12 PM
It's beautiful! It has so much movement, in an easy way.

Steeldolphin
08-04-2013, 12:57 PM
I think you did a wonderful job here Dave, merging the representational with the more abstract.

davefriend
08-04-2013, 01:08 PM
It's beautiful! It has so much movement, in an easy way. Thanks for taking time to comment Jane :)

I think you did a wonderful job here Dave, merging the representational with the more abstract.Thanks Chris! I wondered about that part way through this but I think it turned ou OK and like it. I hope to try to integrate the representational with the abstract more fluidly on upcoming works. may try some of it today(?). :crossfingers:

aidaebr
08-04-2013, 04:26 PM
I like the flower, but even more the background :) As others also said, it reminds me of Van Gogh...

davefriend
09-09-2013, 10:35 PM
I like the flower, but even more the background :) As others also said, it reminds me of Van Gogh...Sorry I am so late to respond here Aida. Thanks for commenting and that background was what ties it into the series. I wish I had been better able to incorporate the same style into the Daisy flower. Also thanks for the Van Gogh comparison! :)

trufflecat
09-10-2013, 10:00 AM
I see you are back to your Van Gogh style, Dave. Good! And didn't you do another painting of a drooping daisy sometime in the past or am I imagining it? I love this style, and this painting is no exception. Great job!

davefriend
09-10-2013, 11:09 AM
I see you are back to your Van Gogh style, Dave. Good! And didn't you do another painting of a drooping daisy sometime in the past or am I imagining it? I love this style, and this painting is no exception. Great job!Thanks Susan, this is the only daisy I've painted so far but I do have some sunflowers in mind for a future project!

abstractca
09-10-2013, 01:50 PM
I see the flower dancing in the wind, beautiful!
great movement, so natural and delicate

davefriend
09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
I see the flower dancing in the wind, beautiful!
great movement, so natural and delicateI loved the freedom of the pedals, expressive of how nice it would be to live so free and alive. Thanks abstracta :)

PiKoonMo
09-10-2013, 04:42 PM
I also immediately thought of van gogh. there is a vibrance to the painting. as if the entire surface plane is buzzing. I like representational work conveys more than just appearances but gets to the essence of livingness of the subject.
well done!

davefriend
09-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I also immediately thought of van gogh. there is a vibrance to the painting. as if the entire surface plane is buzzing. I like representational work conveys more than just appearances but gets to the essence of livingness of the subject.
well done!I very much enjoyed how you said what you wrote. You understand. Thank you PiKoonMo!