PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash - Thursday, August 1, 2013 ***

CharM
07-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Happy First Day of a Brand New Month! It's kind of half way through the summer we don't seem to be having. And, of course, it's raining.

I couldn't get here yesterday... busier than a one-armed paper hanger... we have ordered carpet. Yes, Uschi, it's a little expensive, but not as bad as we anticipated.

We have more appointments early tomorrow... beginning with Ted's eye Dr. I have to be there to drive him home because of drops that will dilate his pupils. And we're biting the bitter bullet and getting new tires for the truck. Anyone want to buy my firstborn?

I did get my little still life posted in the Gallery. But, I didn't get anything varnished... it's piling up. And I have to pick up the paintings that didn't sell at Desmond as the show ended on the 31st of July.

Caryl, we don't need to put up as much as we used to... but I really do like to have strawberries and blueberries in the freezer... our biggest job is getting all our tomato based jars done. No corn for us this year... we can't find anything that isn't a GMO... :(

(((Judy)))

Betty, I loved the photos...

I still need to check out Geoff's link about the plague town.

In the meantime, I must head off to bed... so I hope that ((Lyn)) and ((Lesley)) are improving... I'll wish you all a good night/good morning!

New Gamboge
08-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi Char - glad you saw the photos! Betty

juneto
08-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Hi all ,
Well it seems we are back at square one here again .
After 3 years of a Wonderful recovery, Louie was able to do his own Taxes this year for the first time and lawyered our wills , all with One eye.
We had a quiet but simple life. Sadly, last Tuesday that came to an end when he got up from his chair and I think missed the wheel-chair , even though I had warned him over and over again that I should always be in the room when he got up.
To make it a short tale he hit the back of his head and EMS came at 1;30 and put him in bed . A mistake ! Everything was normal next morning but he fell asleep after breakfast mas I did across from him . He awoke and spoke gibberish and then fell back in his chair .
Yes a Sub -Dural Hematoma. He is still in a Coma .They have removed the blood in his brain and he is just beginning to respond a little . He can squeeze my hand .
Don't know where we are going with it , but daily visits are hard when you don't walk and the progress is very slow. All the tubes and ICU make it all the more scary.
I thought we had it knocked when they put the shunt in to draw the water off his brain and he stopped breaking all his bones , but it was not to be .
Any how , say a little prayer for us or send good thoughts our way.
Thanks for listening .
June ( Not in Training to be a Nurse , but sure feels like it) :lol: :lol: :wave:

Lulu
08-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone:wave:
A little drizzle in coming in now, as the evening is coming in.
A good day, out and about, in and planning the next painting...

Char, delighted to see you open the Wash!
Your 'little still life' is fabulous! and thankyou for showing the wip of the tomatoes. Very helpful.

Betty, I loved your photos! You've got quite the farmyard!

June, Oh June.........:grouphug: How scary, I really really feel for you both, reminds me that we can never take things for granted can we.....you certainly can be assure of our prayers and warm thoughts.

Yorky
08-01-2013, 01:48 AM
:grouphug: June :grouphug: How sad after so muuch improvement of late. I hope Louie makes a recovery and can join you at home again.

Hi Char, an expensive time.:eek:

A bright, sunny start to the day after the rains here. I'll be posting the challenge when I get up.

Doug

Lulu
08-01-2013, 02:05 AM
I'll be posting the challenge when I get up.

oh you lazy lay-about you......:D

Yorky
08-01-2013, 02:55 AM
OK Lulu I got the August Challenge (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325364) posted.

Doug

shipbroker
08-01-2013, 02:57 AM
Busy morning here

June many hugs and white light to you.

Char the link to Eyam I think you will find was Dougs

Dry night so hopefully dismantle the awning before trip today as off again im morning.

geoff

Yorky
08-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Hi Geoff, fine weather on its way :thumbsup:

Where next?

Doug

doppler
08-01-2013, 04:05 AM
JUNE!! Just white light hugs and gasps!! Louie ((((()))) You (((()))

Char took the blue ears in the dark of night from the light southerners seemingly and shrugged them off and offered to sell her first born. Oh that was for the tyres.:lol: No problem, I wanted to put Roger on EBay for Ruby's recent expensive surgery (car, people, car) but he refused.... and point blank. :cool:

Hi Doug and Geoff. You guys are in for a heatwave I hear?

Hope Kev and Chris have settled back to warmer weather.

Lower garden is getting donbe. Need a new name. We used to call the chicken wired enclosed and rotting structure Guantanamo Bay, Camp delta being the upper level. NOT appropriate anymore. Suggestions welcome.

From the top ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/141006-g10.jpg

Steps down are a bit unwieldy as you can see from the morass in the foreground. They will be built again next week, if Ben has survived his sons interschool sports day and Tom is truly over his lurgie.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/141006-g11.jpg

All the gravel is recycled concrete for drainage and there are pipes underneath... this is from the previous Camp Delta.

Next is the bottom level which will have soil delivered once the drainage is done ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2013/141006-g12.jpg
I was the first to saunter down those steps. All the gravel will be scraped into the drainage area once the pipes are laid. We then will have a hobby of turning the soil and adding compost. Under the gravel is GOOD soil that wasn't washed away in the great flood of 2011. The soil will need aerating and decompacting and we need fitness. Perfect combination. After, we lay geocloth to suppress the weeds but let water and oxygen through. Dump sugarcane mulch over it all then squabble about what we are going to plant.

:thumbsup:

Yorky
08-01-2013, 04:09 AM
That's a heck of hill Annie :eek:

Doug

doppler
08-01-2013, 04:52 AM
It's a slope Doug. :lol: Steepish.

This is going to be a lovely forever luscious secret garden, but not silent until we have over dug it, stopped squabbling, and planted stuff. A project! :thumbsup:

Still waiting for suggestions on the name for the levels. I suggested sleepy hollow at 6 am this morning before work as a test and Roger gagged. Can't blame him. :lol:

Help? :lol:

Went back to yesterday and saw Betty's bits of paradise :thumbsup: And the elusive Hap was back. Sorry your daughter can't find work. It be a hanging on thing I think. Would she come to Aus? James Cook UNiversity in Townsvile?

Any way, waiting for pois to cook. :wave:

wcartistsr
08-01-2013, 08:08 AM
:grouphug:June:grouphug:

Shirley

Flattwo
08-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi to All

June, my thoughts are with you :grouphug:

Annie, I name that structure the "GREAT WALL OF NEBO" God bless her and all who plant in her!

Busy here with the London guests, Lesley might Get home tomorrow :thumbsup:

Speak Later

Henry

Scene Chaser
08-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Good Day All,
It did rain but the sun is shining and the birds are singing.

Char, I love your painting of the mushrooms and tomatoes. Gorgeous and life-like.

Sylvia, your Balloon flower painting is beautiful. Ours really blossomed this year, too.

Geoff, how was your visit to Eyam?

Betty, your photos bring back memories of my childhood on the farm.

((((June)))) Wondering the other day where you had been. So sorry to hear of Louie’s injury. My thoughts are with you both.

Annie, very impressive landscaping. How about “Jumping Ant Canyon?”

Henry, hope ((lesley)) gets home tomorrow.

I’m rebuilding a bench on wheels for weeding today. The rotted seat broke in two while I was weeding the other day. Thank goodness no one saw me tumble.
Bill

Ellen in Ont
08-01-2013, 08:44 AM
:wave: everyone,
Well, July is over and the summer coming to an end soon. We usually get our first frost near the end of Aug. :rolleyes: Usually we get summer first but not this year. Another cool, grey, soon to be raining day.

My plans for the day include cleaning all the cupboards in the kitchen and then vacuuming the house. That should keep me busy. Add to that a little painting and my day will be full.

Char - I'll check out your still life next. I went through the ref library here and downloaded a lots of photos of children. Looks like that is what I'll be doing next.:D Discuss how the carpet is going to be laid with the installers. They usually staple down the underlay every couple of feet and that can ruin the wood floors underneath. If you want to preserve them talk to them about it.

June - I'm so sorry to hear about Louie's fall! :grouphug: I hope he is able to recover quickly.

Annie - that is quite the project. Glad you decided not to do the whole thing yourselves.

Henry - that's great that Lesley will be coming home soon.

My coffee is almost gone and I need to get moving. Have a wonderful start to a new month.

painterbear
08-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Good Morning all,
It is 9:15 a.m. here on another lovely, cool morning in Oakwood. Had a bit of a shower earlier, but may still have to water the garden.

Larry and I will be going out and picking the swiss chard in a little bit. Then I'll make swiss chard soup for dinner tonight. Nice and healthy with lots of veggies and it tastes extra good made with our own swiss chard that's for sure.

I'm still on cloud 9 after seeing all that wonderful watercolor art yesterday at the AWS exhibit. Wowser! I'm entering two of my paintings in a local art show tomorrow. I'm putting in my one of the Lady's Slipper Orchid and the one of the Chinese Lanterns in a Glass Bowl. This will be a new venue for me in Miamisburg, Ohio, so we'll see how it goes. :crossfingers:

June, :grouphug: to Louie and to you as well. What a shame he fell and injured his head and now you are training to be a nurse. :rolleyes: Take care of yourself and white light to Louie to recover quickly. :heart:

Annie, Those steps will help with the work instead of trudging up and down the hill, eh. ;) Can't wait to see the Great Wall complete and then with plants growing in the beds. Larry and I are beyond the energy level needed to sustain something like your estate. But I'm glad you are letting us live vicariously as you and Roger handle the work (or at least supervise the workers). :angel:

Char, Definitely do what Ellen suggests about minimal damage to the wood floors when they lay the carpet. We were appalled by all the nails and tacks that left marks on our beautiful old floors when we lifted the carpet and had them refinished. They are still there, but our refinishers did their best to minimize them. Loved your mushrooms and tomatoes and the vine in your newest painting. :D

Bill, What a great idea having a bench on wheels for working in your flower beds. Thank goodness you didn't get hurt when you tumbled, forget about people seeing you. Hope Janet is feeling better now.

Hap, Saw you sneak in yesterday. Hope your daughter gets that job offer she is waiting for. Guess her field is limited in scope and people who already have jobs are reluctant to leave and open up a space for newcomers. :crossfingers:

Gotta go get dressed now. :wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

ScarletLake
08-01-2013, 10:02 AM
:wave: Hi Everyone:wave:

We're having a really cool morning here in Ohio. Opened the windows and just snuggled down in the covers in bed for a little while this morning.

Will have to go to the hospital later today for stepmother.

June - So Sorry to hear about what has happened. Prayers for you both.

Darla - Hope that you are feeling better and enjoying your trip to Nashville.

Henry - Hope Leslie gets to come home soon. Enjoy your company.

Sylvia - I looked up the info on the watercolor exhibit in Middletown. I would love to see it so maybe next weekend DH and I can visit. We are planning on going to Art on the Commons a week from Sunday.

Well time to get off here and get moving. It may be a long day esp if they decide to discharge her then I have to get her to the nursing home.

Anita

WthrLady
08-01-2013, 10:18 AM
June _ ((((Hugs)))) to both you and Louie. How scarey for you both. I'll be thinking of you.

Char - We have cadets over for dinner every other week, so having the inexpensive in season food saved for out of season will be wonderful! I more than double the family size cooking on those days!

Annie- How about Pandora? It cost a small fortune, was no small undertaking, took great vision, caused a few squabbles along the way, took large earth moving equipment, will be visually stunning and since it is in Oz, pretty much anything there will try to kill you. PLUS, once started it was like unlocking the preverbial box of fun! Manflu and all ! eh, eh?????

Waving at Hap, and Anita, Doug, Ellen, Betty, Bill, Kuku, Henry (and Leslie), Geoff, Shirley, and Sylvia ::Waving::

Did Karl ever make it to Alaska? or is he stopped along the way?

=========
I have the Culligan man on his way over to see about a softener in this house. It has the hookup already, so it just needs plugged in. I cannot stand scrubbing hardwater stains off everything! It makes you work twice as hard, twice as often.

Warm humid, and heading for stormy today. This is a year without a summer for sure. We should be in the 90s and 100s. It happens every few years, 7-12 year cycle.

Did some sketches of a local barn while DS was at JOAD Archery. Came home with a wicked sinus headache, went to bed early shivering. Man, I hate those. Now I feel hungover. Stinking allergies.

Maybe a couple more sketches for the journal....diary doodling as Karl put it! LOL.

Have a great day all!

forgot....I loaded another 200 photos onto the RIL. Tons of waterlilies, cacti, garden shots, animals....have at it!

shipbroker
08-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice day finally got to Eyam via the Chatsworth Estate. interesting place not as I remembered although little has changed buildingwise since 1664......

Will have just a couple of photos to share when I get home, whenever that is.

Talking to a young American Lady in Matlock and I said there were lots of them over here at moment, she said there were six groups of US or Canadians in their hotel........and why not, she said, England is where modern world history
started!!

geoff

CharM
08-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Good afternoon! Our first day of August dawned bright and sunny... not hot, but warmish... probably not quite swimming weather... :)

Ted had his 2-hour Opthamologist consultation this morning. It really did take the full two hours to go through all the tests, measurements and interviews. His first cataract surgery is scheduled for August 2 8th... and, only $750 per eye for the lens implants. :rolleyes:

I picked up the two paintings that didn't sell at the Desmond show. I'm secretly happy that the tricycle didn't sell... :) And it's ironic that the Cheery Cherries did sell because they'd been hanging in the Gallery for months...

Shortly, we'll head back into town (Ted can't drive because of the eye drops) to get the tires installed on our truck. MoMoney, MoMoney...

((((June and Louie))) OMG... my prayers are sure with you...

Thanks for the heads up about the underlay installment! I wouldn't have thought of it...

:wave: All... :grouphug:

kaypainter
08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug: June & Louie :grouphug: :grouphug:

And to (((((Pat & Winnie))))

((((Henry & Lesley))))

((((Anita))))

:wave: :wave:

Kay

Yorky
08-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Char, if they have to secure the underlay maybe they can glue it instead. Glue should be removable in the future.

Doug

juneto
08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone . Nice to talk about it to adults ,when the children are so pathetic you can't tell them how you feel , they love him so much.
I only wish I understood what was really happening . I know a little because my older brother was a Biology and Chemistry major planning to be a Dr. and we talked a lot, but not about the brain function sadly . I wish he were still here , but all the elders are gone now . I am the last one .
I hope he will know us soon .
June:cat: :wave:

JudyL
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Back from my morning walk, which is suggested by the Back people. Also brushing your teeth in awkward positions (back straight but squat)
All in all good, but I will reserve judgment.

BBL

bart25
08-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone. I haven't posted in quite a while. Everything is going well for my wife and I. My Leukemia is in remission (thank the Lord) and my wife has recovered quite well from her back surgery she had in March.

We had lunch with our #2 daughter and she will be moving to Australia in a couple of months. The company she works for has given her a two year contract and she will be moving to Alice Springs. It is in the northern territory and it is not the end of the world but understand you can see it from there. My wife and I are planning to go down under some time during the next year to see her. That is if I can afford those bloody plane tickets. Would also like to make it over to New Zealand. Any advice from any of you Aussies would be greatly appreciated.

Not much else going on around here but the Rain. We have had 6 inches in the past week. That is a lot for dry old Kansas in July. Well that is all for today.

Bart

NancyR
08-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Good Evening, and hugs and white light to June, Louie, Henry, and Leslie. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I went to the back doctor this afternoon. He reviewed the MRI report, looked at the x-rays, and asked if I had back pain. I told him that when I do, I immediately apply heat; and it goes away. I just have the strange feelings in my leg. It is due to the bulging disk on my sciatic nerve--just like we suspected. However, since I do not have back pain, he will not operate. :clap:

Since my knee is going in and out the last couple of weeks with the funny feeling in my leg, he recommended that I use a cane to take the weight off my knee. So, I went and bought a folding cane that has flowers on it. I could not just get a plain cane.

Now I just have to behave myself and start doing some exercises to build up my back muscles.

The health crisis with my brother is over, and I do not have to give my mother updates anymore. We had a heated discussion regarding my brother. And in the end, she realized he really does not want to see her. It is heartbreaking, but I would not let them do it to her in person.

I love Henry's name for the new garden on Mt. Nebo.

Everyone have a wonderful evening.

Lulu
08-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Waving .... Kuku, ....

:wave: with a BIG smile on my face :wave:

Karl posted a lovely thread somewhere in the palette forum...he is busy trying to grapple with the old-fangled turning of pages in real books....:D

Char, I'm happy the tricycle painting didn't sell either! and I wished your clock one had never sold as well!

Just home from town, not too many people out and about, it's windy and cool! Okay.........it's 14C, but with the wind it feels a lot cooler.:cool:

:grouphug: to all in the doctor's surgery, or those waiting to go in, or on their way out...:grouphug:

JudyL
08-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Oh June! I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, I do hope he recovers soon! And do take care of yourself as well :grouphug:

We went bowling, not me the sprouts and friends, Jack bowled but I didn't, I watched, they all had a great time.

Lauren has a job interview on Monday :clap: we went to the battery shop as I have had no luck looking for one for my favorite watch, so went there, while they were putting the battery in my watch we talked, she handed over a resume and will see them on Monday, keep the fingers crossed :crossfingers:

Settling in for the night, be well and happy y'all