PDA

View Full Version : to add the tree frog or to not add the frog...

Inward Arts
07-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Not sure if I should ask the group this sort of question, but a bit apprehensive to change this painting a whole lot if its not gonna be worth it.

Ive been engaged in a very intuitive approach with this one and a tree frog keeps coming into mind. He would go on the right branch of the first tree. My art therapist self says, "YES put it in!" My newly-developing-artistic-self is exercising some restraint, however. And, with no one to ask...Im approaching this group.

Does it need it? Is this dorky? Would a tree frog nail it to be a children's art? (I'm in definite love with children's illustrator Nancy Tillman, so maybe its not such a bad thing!) Thanks in advance.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/1239792-2013-07-31_02.08.18.jpg

davefriend
07-31-2013, 05:56 PM
I like the frog idea. Consider on the vertical trunk (left tree) about 1/3rd up. Your call...

blackcatbattery
07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
I thinkthere is a reason you want it there. It would make visual sense well enough, but even more-so this may be a case of "I don't care if it fits or not I NEEDS to be there!" Sometimes I KNOW something needs to be there (either for pure meaning or compositionally) and I don't realize why until much later.

blackcatbattery
07-31-2013, 06:40 PM
I REALLY like this background.

Inward Arts
07-31-2013, 07:28 PM
ok, feeling inspired to put in my tree frog. looked up symbolism of tree frogs = transformation. That is appealing to me right now.

blackcatbattery: I took your advice and put in some color along the bottom (advice from the another ptg but implented on this one)

davefriend: hmmm. love the idea of putting the frog in a spot that isn't so logical - (like on the branch...but maybe hanging out somewhere along the tree like you suggested)

lots to consider here. Thanks.

birdhs
07-31-2013, 10:15 PM
Copy this as is.

add a frog on the copy,
or even print it off and cut out a frog and move it aboot

that way the original is untouched until the decision is made.

I might add a smallish blueish white ghost frog...

but I like this as it is.

greggo

davefriend
07-31-2013, 10:18 PM
...perhaps the frog silhouetted by the moon?

Inward Arts
07-31-2013, 10:41 PM
all of these are awesome ideas. may cut one out and play with it a bit.
thanks a ton...

alangraham
08-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Im liking this one so far-- my fav of yours to be honest :).

The mood and colors work for me. That said a tree frog could work but only add that. The piece seems close to done. For sure on the left tree as it seems lonely.

PushingPixels
08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
go ahead, make him orange and loud.

Inward Arts
08-02-2013, 01:21 AM
PushingPixels: ha! sounds exciting...

alangraham: "fav of mine so far." hmmm. that is one to roll around in my head for a bit. I only say that b/c I was thinking it was dorky and well, the self criticism could go on and on. It made me wonder: What if all of the ones I am deeming crap are really the juicy ones??? aaaah! thanks for your thoughts.

alangraham
08-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Self criticism bugs us all :). Just can't let it take root.

I've always figured if I think it's crap or think it's great that it must be somewhere in between, haha. Then again, one never knows until they show it to other folks. Then again, the less I 'think' and just paint the better the results :). BUT it is always good to ask questions, right?