PDA

View Full Version : More Music Themed Pieces...

alangraham
07-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Two more music themed pieces from Dylan...

Brass Bed is 8x10 with inks and acrylics while Idiot Wind/Idiot Girl is 11x14.

Lay, Lady, Lay was the inspiration for the brass bed but then I got to thinking about the beds and of course Cat on a Hot Tin Roof came to mind... More or less now a homage/ode to Liz Taylor...

Idiot Wind/Idiot Girl is a piece for all of us who have had a relationship crash and burn. We get to a point where we are so angry it doesn't matter what that person says all we see is 'wind' and 'red' when they move their mouths. Great song. I've not had a girlfriend or longterm relationship for quite some time, but I did have a friendship with a female end badly (friends and sex DO NOT mix). I was so mad Saturday night... well, the song applied :).

I included the frame previews as they really pull these small, whimsy pieces together. Now, if only I could afford to frame them all, lol.

davefriend
07-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Idiot... is an easy read at my first glance, LOL! I like the sass, which I read as more from the artist than from the girl. You are developing a great feel for the spot fills - I really like the taupe color and shape. Her left boob seems awkward but it seems to fit the character and sass overall.

Brass bed does have that Liz look. Love the curlicues and shapes of the brass work frames the Lady well.

Well done Cory :thumbsup:

HenrietteW
07-31-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm partial to the idiot work. :) It's such a universal emotion and I, for one, am subjected to it all the time at work. When people are sufficiently upset, it doesn't matter what you say - not one bit. :D

jimwhalen
07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
These are both nicely done, great placement of color and use of negative space...but the first one is by far my favorite - what a great visual concept/illustration!

alangraham
07-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks Dave, Henriette, and Jim!

Dave-- Yes, sass. And I used a face instead of my usual blankness. Somewhat abstract so I didn't care as much about getting the body correct.

Henriette-- Agreed

Jim-- Thanks. I am having some fun with the negative space of late :)

alangraham
07-31-2013, 04:37 PM
OK, need some advice on the second piece I'm working on...

One version has a face, while the other version has no face... Which do you like more??

I like both, but since not having a face in my figure pieces is 'my thing,' I'm not sure what to do. Also not sure what to put in her hand.

Will add color of course as right now this is just a sketch...

davefriend
07-31-2013, 04:40 PM
I like the one with the face. Very engaging.

HenrietteW
07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
My goodness! I just had the most remarkable deją vu. The female figure looks exactly like Druuna - a comics character by Serpieri. There is a frame where she's standing just like that: the way the hair falls, the stance, the pose - everything. Wow. :-O

birdhs
07-31-2013, 04:59 PM
what you put in her hand will forever define the message, sublimal or obvious.

I suggest printing this out on cheap typo paper and do different things in her hand until it feels right to you. That way you don't risk messing up the original.

knife, scissors, booze, soda pop, lollipop, banana, kitty cat, your head or other body parts, a musical instrument, scarf, elephant, boa constrictor, alien,

well, the possibilities are endless aren't they?

alangraham
07-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Thank you everyone....

The colors came out more dark than I would have liked, but I think it still works.

Inward Arts
07-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Oh my! I love this ~ the purple scarf? is great! the colors are awesome...I like her face though. But either way its great.

alangraham
08-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks Rachel :). Glad u like the scarf.

blackcatbattery
08-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Your works seem perfect for plate etchings. Have you every done any?

alangraham
08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
No I have not but sounds fun. ANd expensive :). Im a starving artist :)

trufflecat
08-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I thought the first two were great, but the last one with the color dashes you added (purple scarf etc.) is fantastic. Maybe better with face? but fine without, too. Great job.

alangraham
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Susan-- thanks :). Yeah, I struggled with the face part but finally went with my gut as I knew I should. Sometimes one just needs to stop and ask questions :).

However, I did sell THE BRASS bed piece!

blackcatbattery
08-02-2013, 04:31 PM
No I have not but sounds fun. ANd expensive :). Im a starving artist :)
I understand. About to switch from canvas to masonite myself for that reason.. among others.

Katie Black
08-02-2013, 04:35 PM
All good...but I think you nailed the last one..perfecto!

alangraham
08-03-2013, 08:16 AM
All good...but I think you nailed the last one..perfecto!

Thanks Katie :)