PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Wednesday 31st July 2013 ***

Yorky
07-31-2013, 02:36 AM
Wot no Wash? :clear:

Well, it is a dull start to the day and we are expecting rain by lunchtime.

Doug

Doris345
07-31-2013, 02:46 AM
Hi Doug,

Surprised it's only you and I.

Will toddle off to do some catching up and BBL.

Doris

shipbroker
07-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Morning Doug and Doris and those yet to call...

Dull it is here but rain arrived an hour ago not heavy unlike previous days.

Hopefully going to Eyam today, well known Plague Village.

geoff

Lulu
07-31-2013, 03:52 AM
Evening everyone:wave: Doug, Doris, Geoff...

Another mild winter's day here at 15C.
Has been good weather to work in our much-neglected garden, but for me, it's a bit of gardening, a bit of painting, a bit of gardening...that's one of the things I love about watercolour! :thumbsup:

Geoff, your mention of Eyam took me to google, really interesting place.
Really really want to get back to the UK, you have such interesting history.
Our family are on holiday at the moment, first stop was Paris, now Sicily, today a day trip to Malta! and then on to London on Saturday for a few days, then Stuttgart for another few before returning home! Very exciting for them all.

Has anyone seen the second season of Call the Midwife? It's on here again, won't say anything about it in case it hasn't viewed elsewhere, except to say that I'm loving it.

Doug, Evita sounded fabulous, I love live shows too.

Cleaning up after dinner/supper time :wave:

ps for those of you who never venture into the portraiture forum, I just wanted to share this tiny tiny (ACEO) portrait of Kate Middleton and the royal .....cat! (Kate Middleton and the royal .....cat!)
I think it's fun!

shipbroker
07-31-2013, 04:35 AM
Lulu, they are filming a Christmas Special of 'Call the Midwife' and there is another 8 part series fir 2014.

Your family certainly get around Lulu...Malta should be nice but most of Northern Europe seems to have the awful mixed blessing weather!!

Last when to Eyam Hall and village as a 16 year old Youth Hostelling and were asked to leave a Pub as we were underage!!

geoff

Yorky
07-31-2013, 04:45 AM
Hi Lulu :wave:

Hi Geoff, I have a photo of the Eyam Well dressings (http://www.letsgo-eyam.co.uk/eyam-well-dressing-c45.html) somewhere. I'll look for it.

Doug

doppler
07-31-2013, 04:47 AM
Good evening all.

Work over and the Great Wall is progressing apace. More piccies tomorrow. No longer need be ashamed of that part of the garden. :thumbsup: there are other parts I am ashamed of but we can tackle them ourselves.

Man flu lingers but I avoid :crossfingers:

Bbl ? Unless sleep beckons.

shipbroker
07-31-2013, 06:08 AM
Doug about 10 years ago we caravanned with friends near Bakewell and were invited into the local church to watch them start a well dressing off into a clay base.... we were there for four days and they hadnt quite finished it when we left. Intricate and a real test of faith!!

geoff

painterbear
07-31-2013, 06:41 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just past 6:30 a.m. here in just breaking day Oakwood. Rain showers forecast for today so the windows will be closed for the first time this week.

Larry and I are venturing south to the Middletown Art Center to see the American Watercolor Society's (http://www.americanwatercolorsociety.org/)Traveling Exhibition. There are 40 wonderful paintings by some of the best watercolor artists around today. Some of the people in my art class have already been there and so I have a couple I know to look out for that they all raved about...one by John Salmanen in particular.

Geoff, Sounds like an interesting place to visit. Hope the rains let up for you.

Pat, :grouphug: for you and your Mom. She is so lucky to have you there by her side, front, and back!

:wave: to all who were here before me and to those still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

ReggieS
07-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Morning folks! It is another lovely day today, rain
tomorrow. We are going blueberry picking tonight when I get home from work. Can't wait to have the first fresh blueberries I will have this year! They are my favs! Gotta run and shower and go to work. Have a great day all!
Doug- I love EVita! FAbulous music!!! I had a friend who took over the role on broadway when PAtty LUpone left. She died a few years later from Cancer. Very talented lady!

Reggie

Ellen in Ont
07-31-2013, 08:04 AM
:wave: everyone,
A grey, cool day with showers expected until next Monday.:rolleyes: It feels like fall, then again, the whole summer has felt like that except for about three days.

Not much written on the "to do" list for today (at least nothing I really want to get done), so I'll play it by ear and see what comes to fill the day. Something always does.

Nothing interesting to write about so I'll get a coffee and answer some emails. Lots of hugs to all not well.

ScarletLake
07-31-2013, 08:10 AM
:clear: :clear: Hello:clear: :clear:

Almost 8 AM here today ---after my Ortho appt yesterday my foot really bothered me due to pressing and moving it everyway during the exam. Then around 3:30AM I just felt so tired I could not keep my eyes open. Later I started to feel like I was getting a cold. To early to tell how I feel yet today.

I will be making hospital visit later today and stopping to check on Dad. They are keeping stepmom in hospital and will do colonoscopy on Thurs. After that I have no idea.

Sylvia - I would like to see that show. I could use something to inspire me right now. I'll have to see how long it will be in Middletown.

I checked on my tomatoes last night and they are growing nicely. Next year will def try to get them in the ground first of May or at least have them growing inside by then so that we will get ripe tomatoes early in Summer.

The last day of July --hard to believe.

I reminded DH that we have a garage to clear out in August and my hard deadline is EVERYTHING out and able to get a car in my mid Sept. So I plan on getting that started.

Was talking to a dear friend who is 87 years old and she says we are going to have a really bad winter this year. She goes by signs in nature etc etc. I trust her abilities.

Well off to shower and get a cup of coffee.

Anita

Scene Chaser
07-31-2013, 08:17 AM
Good Day All,

A small rain overnight. Ms. Feral is in and on the chair next to me.

Geoff, I found an informative and poignant film (http://www.eyamplaguevillage.co.uk/) about Eyam. Some courageous and loving people. England is mighty proud of them, I'm sure.

Since it is wet out, I have plenty to do inside.
Janet has been practically bedridden this last week due to sciatica. All duties are left to me. First up is mop the kitchen floor and then vacuum and dust. After which, I'll probably be bedridden myself.

Bill

olliewood0702
07-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

It's dull, raining and looks to be an all day rain here. Temps area moderate.

I feel lots better today. I started feeling better after dinner last night. Wow 4 days of that and I never missed one day of work.:smug: I'm just thankful that I'm feeling less dizzy.

I am skipping my lunch hour today and leaving at 4pm. We are heading out tonight with the girls for our trip to Nashville. We will be staying at a hotel where they have WiFi so should be able to check in.

((PAT)) thinking of you as you and ((WINNIE)) have to make a decision about surgery on her shoulder or not.

Caryl, you are in the running for homemaker of the year!:D All your food stuffs that you "put up" for winter sound delicious.

Ellen, have a GREAT, relaxing day.

Sylvia, have fun viewing the exhibition; it should be great. I LOVE John Salminen and the workshop my aunt and I are taking from him will be next Spring!:thumbsup:

Geoff, have a nice visit to Eyam.

Waving to you Doris!

Doug, good that you started the wash.

Annie, looking forward to more progress pics.

LuLU, wow your family is taking quite the vacation trip. I'd love to see Malta and Sicily. I've never heard of the Midwife program.

Reggie, that is too bad about that singer dying of cancer. I love blueberries too. Our sweet corn is ready locally now...I must do some for the freezer.

Anita, that was good news form the Ortho doc! Get some rest; hope you aren't getting a cold. I hope it's not a horrific winter.:confused:

Bill tell (((JANET))) to rest her back and take it easy. We all know how painful that can be. You are a good husband.;)

Larry is excited to be with his boys and we haven't seen Justin since Christmas so it'll be nice. The girls haven't been down to Nashville in a couple of years. It's also TAX FREE SHOPPING this week down there.:clap:

I hope you all have a most wonderful fulfilling day.:thumbsup:

BBL :wave: :heart:

WthrLady
07-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Ooooh I forgot the corn! I wonder where in nebraska I can find corn......hmmmm. bwahaaa haaa! I might have to walk all the way across the street! Parboiled, vacuum sealed and tossed in the deep freezer!

July challenge done. I need to get the sunken garden photos on the RIL. There are some wonderful water Lilly shots.

Cool 87 degrees today.

Thinkning chicken with plumbs for dinner.

Uschi
07-31-2013, 09:07 AM
Good Morning!!

Beautiful day!!!

Just a quick HI because I am out of the door in a minute to play you know what:)

It's Jodi's husband Hans' birthday today and he celebrates it with dinner with friends at the King's Buffet in Kitchener, so that is wher I am heading in the evening and on the way will pick up a couple of matboards at Curry's.

Lulu, yes, we here in Ontario have seen both series of "Call the Midwife". Oh, and I have lived in STuttgart from 1960 to 1962. They must have friends there because I really can't think of anything special about it, mind you, the Black Forest is just a couple of hours away.

Darla, if you ever see it coming your way, watch it because you will love it!! It is usually shown on channels like PBS. Have a wonderful trip:clap: :clap:

(((Pat)))) Hard decision to make:crossfingers:

Bill, poor Janet!!! Has Ms. Feral become a little more adventurous and staying inside with smaller gaps of open doors???

Sylvia, I would LOVE to see that exhibition:envy: :envy:

Time to go, :wave: to Doug, Geoff, Doris, Ellen, Anita, Reggie and all yet to come!!

Uschi

shipbroker
07-31-2013, 09:26 AM
The rain didn't stop for long so hopefully Eyam tomorrow instead. We went to Arkwrights Masson Mill at Matlock Bath which has a shopping outlet inside, bought two 2 Tshirts in case sun returns.

geoff

Scene Chaser
07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Sylvia, lucky you to see the AWS show. I know you'll enjoy it.

Darla, glad the dizziness is leaving. Just in time for your trip to Nashville. Did you ever discover the cause?

Uschi, yes she does trust the door open just enough to squeeze in and out. Last night I lured her into the carpeted area of the house and as soon as she walked on it, she layed down like she had discovered heaven. Maybe she'll want some more as time goes on.

Bill

Clara McArthur
07-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Good morning all,

A dull morning, it seems we can't have two sunny days in a row! Yesterday was great. We picked raspberries, came home, cleaned , packaged and froze most of them, and have raspberries and cream for dessert, and have more for today.

Lulu, your winter weather is like what our summer has been. It is only +9 here this morning, I think it will come out as the coldest July on record, we really haven't had much "summer".

Darla -Glad you are feeling better, enjoy Nashville.

I haven't watched Call the Midwife, but I think we get it on PBS, shall have to check it out.

Set up for Art Show Friday morning, will be giving the local Art club a hand with this.

NancyR
07-31-2013, 11:04 AM
Just a quick good morning from Texas. We are back to 100+ degree days. Not too much fun.

Bill: Please give Janet my sympathy. I know exactly what she is going through, only I have to push through and go to work each morning. Cannot wait until I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Great news Anita and Darla.

Pat, you will make the right decision.

Get to see mother tonight, I wonder what new scheme she has come up with to try to arrange behind my back!:lol: At least life is not boring.

Yorky
07-31-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, we went to Preston to buy wool then I went to the County Archives to photograph old maps of Ormskirk for a talk I am giving in September.

Raining off and on.

Bon voyage Darla, hope you lose the dizziness in time.

Sounds like a great watercolour exhibition Sylvia I'm :envy:

Poor Janet, I feel for her. Good progress with Miss Feral Bill :thumbsup:

Hope your results are good tomorrow Nancy.

Geoff, Derbyshire used to be our old stamping ground when we lived in Yorkshire, we roamed over the whole area with the kids.

Doug

LCPainterCat
07-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Geoff -- and all who are interested: There is a fascinating novel by Geraldine Brooks, called "Year of Wonders," in which she tells the story of the Eyams Plague from the point of view of a maidservant. The characters are fictitious but the story is based on the actual history of the village. I think you would all find it interesting and gripping. Geoff, perhaps you can find a copy at a local booksellers . I'm pretty sure Eileen would enjoy it, and how nifty to be able to read about the brave villagers' sacrifice, and how they survived on foodstuffs dropped outside the town walls in exchange for money hidden there, while you are right there and can visit the sites!

Lynn/LC

painterbear
07-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Hi Honeys, I'm back!

Wowser, what a wonderful treat for the eyes....and the mind trying to figure out how they did some of the paintings! John Salminen's was the star of the Show IMHO! Like all Shows, Larry and I agreed with the jurors for some of the awards and disagreed with others; also saw several we felt should have awards but didn't. Loved one that was poured and a giant katy-did was then brought out and painted positively, but with the wonderful colors of the pour. So creative and beautiful. :D

Anita, It will be there until August 17th, I think it is and well worth the drive if you can make it. Shouldn't be hard on the foot because there aren't any stairs to climb like there are at the Art Museum. The hardest part is getting to the Middletown Art Center from I-75. :rolleyes:

Caryl, What a full freezer and pantry you must have. Haven't thought about putting up corn and we can get some wonderful white and bicolor corn that is raised locally by an Amish farmer and his family. We see them delivering their produce to Dorothy Lane Market all the time. Do you leave the corn on the ear or take it off before par-boiling. How long do you do it for in the boiling water???? Curious minds want to know. :angel:

Darla, That is good news that you are feeling better before heading off to Nashville and visiting your boys. :thumbsup: Have a great trip.

Bill, Be careful with Ms Feral introducing her to carpeting...she may decide to mark her territory. That is what happened to me in Italy, fortunately it was on a tile floor. I opened the door for the Parco cat Salvatore who I had been feeding and befriending on our terrace for at least two years. When we were clearing out the house and cleaning it prior to moving back to the States, I left the door open and he came in. First thing I knew he was claiming the space as his own, the way male cats do. :rolleyes: I quickly shooed him out the door before he got too far, then had to clean up the space with bleach and water to remove any odor. :eek: Hope Janet's back problems clear up, I know how painful that can be. :o

Time to make some lunch now, :wave: to all I didn't mention.

SYL,

Sylvia

JudyL
07-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi, my back has gone south again and I can hardly move, I think as a result of walking around the State Fair Saturday, not much chances for sitting. Went to the doctor and have to go to a "back class" today, would rather have a diagnosis and drugs.

We are going to Nebraska (by car) in about 2 weeks, I really need to heal quickly. What a nuisance!

I need a nap, a really bad night trying to get comfortable.

Yorky
07-31-2013, 12:24 PM
(((Judy))) hope you can get speedy relief.

Doug

WthrLady
07-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Sylvia - I remove the husk and clean off as much silk as I can, blanche it in boiling water whole on the cob for 10 minutes, start counting as soon as it hits the boiling water.

Pull them out and place them in ice water until cool. I then vacuum seal them and toss them in the freezer.

My mom, who is without vacuum machine, allows the ears to cool, wraps them in plastic wrap and then places them into a Ziploc freezer bag, pushing out as much air as possible. Good in the freezer either way for 12 months!

olliewood0702
07-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Sylvia, I par boil them too for 7 minutes but we take it off the cob, with a nifty gadget that we've had for years. You can freeze it with the cobs too though. It freezes very well and is delicious, just like fresh picked. The secret of just picked taste (with corn) is you have to put it up as soon after it's picked as possible. The fresher the better. If you get some and don't have time to put it up until the next day put it in the fridge.

I'm jealous of your visit to see that lovely watercolor work. I love John Salminen's work so much.

(((JUDY))) oh my it seems like there are SO many of us here with bad backs. Sending gentle hugs and healing vibes your way.:heart:

(((NANCY))) you poor thing, I'm glad you have the Dr appointment. Sending healing vibes and hugs to you too:heart:

We are driving to Nashville...and we are thinking of letting Kaitlyn drive for a bit. I'll be nervous I think.:confused: It's great experience for her but can get pretty busy and hectic so it will be when it's not as busy and in a quieter area; if that's possible. :rolleyes:

I've not taken any of the dizzy pills today and doing well so far. Whew...:thumbsup:

I bet your talk will be great, Doug. You are a great planner and I'm sure it'll be very thorough.

It's raining and has been since about 8:00 this morning. A nice fine misty rain...soaker. We won't have to water before we leave.

I'm having a nice warm mug of green and white tea and I have a peach for my afternoon snack. I love all the fresh fruit and veggies this time of year; it's always tastier when it's in season and/or home-grown. I brought cucumbers for my co-workers today and I'll bring tomatoes when they get ripe too.

Have a look at this post on this blog for July 5th. Wow he's sure good at painting water!

http://sterkhovart.blogspot.com/

:wave:

Scene Chaser
07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
Sylvia, I know what you mean about cat and their territory. It's usually only the male cat that is involved but I have had female cats do it too.

Judy, to where in Nebraska are you travelling? I went to college in Seward, and still have friends and relatives there.

It's been raining all day here, but it is good napping weather of which I have taken full advantage. :)

Bill

shipbroker
07-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Bill, someone has just joined on of the Caravan forums under the name of ' feralcatman'.......makes a change from scenechaser eh???

Just managed to return from a meal at village pub (41 of us) when the skies opened again but it is quite warm here.

geoff

Scene Chaser
07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Wasn't me, Geoff. :cat:

Bill

JudyL
07-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Hello again, took a bit of a nap, so a tiny bit better back wise.

Our Nebraska trip begins 11 August the reunion is the 16th, don't know when we will return.
Sidney Nebraska is what maybe the smallest County Seat in the country, and is tucked up in the lower left corner between Colorado and Wyoming.
Jack grew up there and his brother (twin) still lives there with his wife. We have booked rooms in Nevada and Wyoming. I do like Sidney the biggest shop is the Wallyworld and of course the birthplace of Cabalas.

Oh good news, yesterday I took Lauren around to pick up stuff, and get lunch for the kids. We stopped at the local battery store, to get a battery for my favorite watch, and we were talking while they loaded up my watch. I mentioned Lauren (18) was looking for a job, and was starting at the community college in August. They were hiring she ran to get a resume and today she has an interview!

:clap: :crossfingers:

JudyL
07-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Just heard that I suffer (make that SUFFER!) from arthritis which sets off the muscle pain.

No instant cures though, I will learn more from the "Back Class"

TTFN

WthrLady
07-31-2013, 05:32 PM
I think Arthur is still the smallest. When we visit, we double the town population! LOL!

Or Brewster.....population of 35! Blain County

Sparsely populated this state is in parts !:lol:

New Gamboge
07-31-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone - another beautiful day, but a bit cooler - maybe rain (much needed) on Friday.

I helped SIL finish the fencing this am, then took some photos for you to enjoy:

Hannah and Isobel (#2) - Isobel has the white around her ear:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/122734-P1020731.jpg

Hannah:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/122734-P1020734.jpg

Some of our many ducks:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/122734-P1020739.jpg

One of the waterlilies:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/122734-P1020736.jpg

some of our frogs/tadpoles:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/122734-P1020738.jpg

and our many-headed sunflower:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/122734-P1020741.jpg

Enjoy - Betty :cat:

happhoto
07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Seems like all I have time for anymore is a "quick pop in"!
Home internet is down, again.....will be looking to switch providers immediately...I'm done with calling tech support and getting script readers who can't "go off the page" to help me with my problem. Will sign on with the local (city owned) cable provider and see if that is a better solution.

Ball team is in Boston so I have a few days off. It has been such a busy season I can't remember the last time I was able to wet some brushes!!

Amanda had a job interview for an Environmental Scientist position with the Delta Stewardship Council (Sacramento River Delta) and I hope she gets it, she's rather down at how hard it is to get a job in her field.

When we had a big freezer we froze fresh corn still in the husk, keeps marvelously well and no freezer burn or damage at all...good until the next corn harvest for sure!!

Will try to make it back soon as we get internet at home again!
hap

JudyL
07-31-2013, 06:05 PM
About to head off to the "Back Class" I will have to ask if they recommend a TENS machine, which I have one of:)

JudyL
07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Back from the Back Class, she knows and approves of the TENS machine, :clap: We learned how to get into and out of bed, how to vacuum, mow the lawn (I told her I let Jack do this) and other stuff including what our bodies look like on the insides. All in all I enjoyed it. But think I may make an appointment for a "hands on" appointment.

TTFN

Yorky
08-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Hi Hap, good to hear from you. I wish Angrla the best of luck with the interview.

Thanks for the photos Betty, nice to meet the animals we read about. Lovely water lily.

Hope you can get some relief Judy.

Doug