PDA

View Full Version : Nightsong

davefriend
07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Another small one. 7"x5" acrylic on canvas panel called "Nightsong" done in the current style I am exploring. I am really digging these colors. I have noticed a shift in my palette. I have been really into purple lately and with that the greens are more than welcome too!

All comments and criticisms are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2013/538491-nightsong_7x5_800x568.jpg

The texture of the canvas under painting is like a mini weave rough stipple and gives a little different look to the painting over it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2013/538491-nightsong_7x5_800x800_detail.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Inward Arts
07-30-2013, 10:06 PM
all of the movement and energy is great in these...

birdhs
07-31-2013, 01:19 AM
I see dozens of dancing women and men, perhaps it is the Gypsy blood that runs in my veins...

great piece, lots of energy, very expressive colors

thanx4sharing

greggo

alangraham
07-31-2013, 10:31 AM
This one seems familiar.... :). Awesomeness.

Jon
07-31-2013, 10:41 AM
I am also enjoying these colors, Dave. Thanks for the close up so we can appreciate the textures.

cmallav
07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Great colors, texture and movement!

lobsterpot
07-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Once again I find your colors to be, frankly, lowbrow and nearly boorish. Try these: (through the magic of PS)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2013/1144347-DAVE.jpg

trufflecat
07-31-2013, 11:18 AM
I like your new palette!

davefriend
07-31-2013, 11:27 AM
all of the movement and energy is great in these... Rachel, thank you for the comments! :)

I see dozens of dancing women and men, perhaps it is the Gypsy blood that runs in my veins...

great piece, lots of energy, very expressive colors

thanx4sharing

greggo Always interested to read what people see when they look at my art. Movement and expressive colors are usually my targets so dancing gypsies are great images! Thank you Greggo!! :music: :D :music:

This one seems familiar.... . Awesomeness.LOL! Thanks Cory :lol:

I am also enjoying these colors, Dave. Thanks for the close up so we can appreciate the textures. Jon, I'm glad you are liking the colors too. The textures underneath were part of an interrupted art session where I destroyed the work already done. Relic of frustration and the new built over the old - familiar story to some of us perhaps! Thanks!

Great colors, texture and movement! Thank you for your thoughts Chaya! :)

Once again I find your colors to be, frankly, lowbrow and nearly boorish. Try these: (through the magic of PS)nearly boorish :eek: , well it could be worse I guess. Thanks for your critique Anthony! :wink2:

I like your new palette! Thanks for your vote on the colors Susan :D

jimwhalen
07-31-2013, 01:12 PM
The colors are right and done with a flourish! :)

HenrietteW
07-31-2013, 01:17 PM
That's a really interesting texture. Is that merely the canvas or did you do something to it? Like the movement in it. Would be ever cooler had there been a touch of eg. orange. :)

davefriend
07-31-2013, 01:36 PM
The colors are right and done with a flourish! :) Thank you Jim :thumbsup:

That's a really interesting texture. Is that merely the canvas or did you do something to it? Like the movement in it. Would be ever cooler had there been a touch of eg. orange. :)The texture was first blotted with a paper towel spread over with my hand smoothing it flat. then I didn't like it so I slapped it down on the top of my french easel box top and pried it away - got these little stipples. Not a process I've done before exactly like that. :evil: Thanks Henriette :)

blackcatbattery
07-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Nice movement and breaking of shapes. I like how you keep the shapes JUST BARELY from taking form. How do you resist the urge to make them human forms? I never can :)

davefriend
07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Nice movement and breaking of shapes. I like how you keep the shapes JUST BARELY from taking form. How do you resist the urge to make them human forms? I never can :)Thanks Patrick. I try to work in a mindset to make shapes that click visually and move all over the canvas in a disorderly but systematic (to me) way. I do not analyze the overall image till I come to stopping points. I feel I work from a gut reaction to my last marks like a conversation between the canvas and myself, not that I hear anything but my hand knows how to respond with the next part of the dialog. I really try not to form a preconception of what I am doing.

I don't know if that answers anything but that is what I do.