PDA

View Full Version : First oil "View through the Glass"

blackcatbattery
07-28-2013, 09:46 PM
I hope this qualifies for this channel--- it's more controlled than my other pieces, but I was able to loosen up near the end. It's almost done. I am fighting the urge to make it "perfect". It seems with all the blending opportunities oils offer I have to consciously loosen up and not blend as much. If I can one day get the looseness I have with acrylics to transfer to oils I'd be thrilled. I must say I love oils now. I put off trying them for years, but am glad I finally did. Tons of flaws in this one, but as a first attempt I figure it's best to learn and move on.
Sorry about the angle... had to turn to minimize flash glare.

birdhs
07-28-2013, 11:01 PM
The Man In The Glass
Peter Dale Wimbrow Sr.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isnít your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

Heís the fellow to please Ė never mind all the rest
For heís with you, clear to the end
And youíve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If youíve cheated the man in the glass.

This poem is often referred to in 12 Step self-help groups, and unless I'm mistaken, there is an empty bottle on side table.
Perhaps there is a message in this painting?

This is a very good painting, despite the poor phot.

and this is the Abstract and Contemporary Forum, and Abstract certainly is a very wide open category, Contemporary is even a wider door, so walk on in and stay.

thanx4sharing

greggo

blackcatbattery
07-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Don't think I've ever read that, but yes, it has several meanings. I had debated leaving the bottle out (and it probably was overkill) but I had the image in mind and wanted it being the light source. I myself have about 20 (thankfully in the past) years to draw on for that image. I think it captures my feeling many nights at least.

Inward Arts
07-29-2013, 12:42 AM
Im always left with a very visceral response to your work. Love that quality... and here is no exception. I feel a lot of angst, turmoil, denial, and grief here.

have fun exploring oils. They were my first love and someday, I too, will return to them.

stampedes
07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
You have a great range of colors here and have captured a moody, mysterious mood. I might try relying less on outlines and using a larger brush in some places. And don't be afraid to use a lot of paint because you don't want to waste the oils! allow yourself the luxury of the paint, and that will lead to a different quality. i have been thinking about trying acrylics again because I feel like I can be more "fresh" (is it a question of drying speed, i wonder?) with them, but oils have other advantages...

ShaunGa
07-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Some say we walk alone, others say we walk with family, either way, it is a journey.

Shaun

blackcatbattery
07-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I might try relying less on outlines and using a larger brush in some places. And don't be afraid to use a lot of paint because you don't want to waste the oils! allow yourself the luxury of the paint, and that will lead to a different quality. i have been thinking about trying acrylics again because I feel like I can be more "fresh" (is it a question of drying speed, i wonder?) with them, but oils have other advantages...

Thank you! Very helpful advice. The outlines are an old habit I suppose. And as you can see, I haven't done anything NEAR impasto (which is primarily how I am used to painting in acrylics) in oils yet. I suppose it's because I am making the dual transition of working 1/4-1/2 the size I had been working and switching media at the same time.
I still love acrylics (although I am out of them until I sell some pieces or prints), but I made the detour into oils because I was looking for an alternative to the opacity of acrylics. Oddly enough since coming here I have seen several people mimic oil's transparency in acrylics.

alangraham
07-31-2013, 10:33 AM
Yes, what Greggo said-- Come on in!

For sure not as loose as your other works, but still good. I can still tell it's a Patrick original :)

davefriend
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Very, very expressive Patrick :thumbsup:

jimwhalen
07-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Very nice work. The outlines are not a problem for me. I would love to see more of your work.

HenrietteW
07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
A very engaging piece. Jeg find myself scrolling back up all the time - just to look at it again. :)

blackcatbattery
07-31-2013, 01:46 PM
Thank you everyone! I work in an artistic vacuum here so it's hard to be objective about anything I do.
Very nice work. The outlines are not a problem for me. I would love to see more of your work.
Yeah the outlines are instinctive at this point. My first love before I knew what the were were the Fauves. Then Abraham Rattner became my hero. His paintings almost look like stained glass from the thick lines. Also, When I start to lose a shape I switch to "drawing mode" to keep it from falling apart. IDEALLY I would have a dark backing color and paint the shape in keeping a bit of the dark as the outline, but that's tough- for me at least. Seems hit or miss.
jimwhalen-- there are a few pieces on the facebook link under my signature. I need to gather them together and photograph all of them and post them on my website.